Transmission question, i searched, promise! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission question, i searched, promise!

redhotalero
10-24-2007, 12:50 PM
I have a 2000 Alero 3.4L with 105K miles. I purchased at 78k in great shape, but I'm unaware of how it was driven or what maintenance was done to it (can I find that out?). My tranny seems good, only odd thing is a less than snappy shift up at 5000rpm, it kinda slips into gear...

Anyway, question is this -- I want to get some new fluid in there but don't want to do the flush, since I don't know if it was done before. Would doing a few drain/filter/fill jobs a few months apart be nearly as effective at getting most of the fluid replaced?

Thanks, such a great site, the Alero page is kinda tame compared to this!

BMOBYLE
10-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Not really.

Your just changing like 5 qts or so. The tranny flush machines we use actually push out 98% of the old fluid out with the new fluid. It literally uses your trannys "trans pressure" to do it. I haven't seen many other machines but the BG one we use is the SHIZ!! Make sure, if your gonna spend the money to have this done, that they are using a machine similar to the one I am talking about. If not then I can Guarantee you that they are just changing it like you originally described.

redhotalero
10-24-2007, 09:19 PM
So would you recommend a flush then, without knowing if any maintenance has been done at all in the past? I don't want to "fix" something that is working ok and have it die out on me... Replacing a transmission isn't something that me or my wallet would enjoy!

I know that it is really all about 'he said, she said' but what are the risks? Can a flush really gunk things up? I've heard horror stories about dislodging stuff, etc..

Sprucegagt
10-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Is your slip happening on the 1-2 shift?

redhotalero
10-24-2007, 10:08 PM
I think so, but like I said it only does it when I really get on the throttle (ie short onramps, massive passing) and get up around 5000rpm.... Lower, even just under that around 4000rpm or so they are pretty snappy and quick... I don't drive it to death, nor am I a big fan of light racing...

Sprucegagt
10-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Well what I'm wondering is if you have an early sign of the pressure control solenoid going bad. It's notorious for going bad in the 99-01 transmissions.

redhotalero
10-24-2007, 10:52 PM
What are the symptoms, maybe I have more that I don't know about. Also, is that something that requires a teardown/build up or what?

AleroB888
10-24-2007, 11:17 PM
I got my answer I think, but want to verify --

My tranny seems good, only odd thing is a less than snappy shift up at 5000rpm, it kinda slips into gear......

My '99 Alero always has had a lazy 1-2 shift. The day I bought it at the dealership, it had 32K on it, and I drove a second Alero at the dealership that shifted the same way. I think it is a characteristic of the computer tuning and the transmission itself for those year models, as N2O-OLDS's '01 did the same thing.
I have a tranny flush done once a year. That's overkill, but mine probably sees more abuse than most. My '03 Alero has much firmer shifts.

redhotalero
10-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Maybe it isn't a big deal then - any advice who to see about the tranny? We have Aamco, American Transmission, and a few other smaller family-run transmission centers. Pick one and go?

BMOBYLE
10-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Maybe it isn't a big deal then - any advice who to see about the tranny? We have Aamco, American Transmission, and a few other smaller family-run transmission centers. Pick one and go?

double A m c o has some sort of free diag don't they???

anyway I've only seen like 3 or 4 vehicles in my career get fixed by a flush.
Have them tell you whats up before you get it flushed thats all.
and do your homework on how they "flush" it. A drain and fill IMO is a waste of time.

OneFstGt
10-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Could some one help? I just replaced the intake gaskets on my 01 Gt and everything is fine except when i took it out to drive it the trans felt like it was slipping when shifting from 1st - 2nd. It has never done this before the trans always shifted good in every gear. Could there have been someting i left unplugged or maybe came unplugged and didnt now it? (Vaccum hoses?) Thanks for any info.

redhotalero
11-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Alrighty, just to verify then --

Getting a flush on a car with 105k miles, while being unsure if it's been done before, is a mixed bag - some say go for it, others say it will destroy the car. Most recommend the drain/filter/refill.

Any last thoughts? I'm probably going to take it in tomorrow or Tuesday, so I want to get a final consensus - yes or no to the flush?

AleroB888
11-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Alrighty, just to verify then --

Getting a flush on a car with 105k miles, while being unsure if it's been done before, is a mixed bag - some say go for it, others say it will destroy the car. Most recommend the drain/filter/refill.

Any last thoughts? I'm probably going to take it in tomorrow or Tuesday, so I want to get a final consensus - yes or no to the flush?

I would have to say drain/filter/refill, no to the flush.