cig lighter [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : cig lighter

Tank33
10-25-2007, 02:42 AM
Ok, I tried to search for this not only on here but google and came up with alot of different answers.

My cigarette lighter has not worked since I bought the car. I quickly took the fuse panels off on each side of my dash the first day I got it home, but I was in a hurry and I did not see a fuse slot marked with anything close to matching cig lighter.

My question: Where is the fuse for the cig lighter on a 2004 Grand Am? Diff search results on google say it is in the fuse box under the hood, some say under the dash (have not checked, do we have fuses there too????) and others say it is in the panels on the sides of the dash.

I have no owners manual with the car so I can't look there, any help appreciated, thanks!

Mike Jung
10-25-2007, 04:54 AM
At least for my '99 GA...
It is in the the engine compartment fuse box.
According to my owner's manual, it is #34.

onesexyga
10-25-2007, 05:37 AM
Just for future reference, you have one fuse box under your hood, next to the airbox. Its more relays and major fuses. The second and third are on the ends of the dash. When you open the door, youll see a triangular shaped panel on the side of the dash.

aaron89
10-25-2007, 07:13 PM
i also have this problem on my 2000 except all fuses are good, anyone have any suggestions?

onesexyga
10-25-2007, 07:17 PM
could be the lighter itself. Pull the plug from the back of the lighter and use a test light to see if youre getting power.

aaron89
10-25-2007, 07:26 PM
never thought of that, thanks

Tank33
10-25-2007, 11:39 PM
DOH! I feel dumb, I went to change the fuse and the fuse labeling is right on the underside of that box cover, haha, oh wells, thanks for responding though people!

spun
05-06-2008, 01:00 AM
everything i try to plug in my cigarette lighter (cell chargers, etc) doesn't fit inside all of the way. its like the receptacle is shorter than normal. anyone else had this problem? i was going to replace it, but i cant even find a stock replacement...i tried searching the forums for an answer, but no luck. any help is much appreciated..

stillriza
05-06-2008, 01:20 AM
thats just the way it is. mine is an 03 and almost everything doesn't go in all the way. everything works, but its just an irritation that most of the stuff doesnt go in all the way.

oh, and welcome to the forum Jessica :cool:

juanvan
05-07-2008, 10:17 AM
See if you have anything in the lighter. I think some of us had Caps on the lighters might have fallen in.

Any replacement cig light should work. Its Important to know that you would will have to do some modding to the casing at times. In my Prelude, I had to use the outer components for it to work properaly.. But there is not much to them. Its an DC plug..

Test the leads on the back IF the Fuses seem to be ok. If power at the clips, the Cig assy. is bad. No power check the fuses for power.

tenspeed
05-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Any replacement cig light should work.

Not on the GA. It uses the shorter type lighter.

If you stick the longer lighter into the socket, it shorts the circuit and blows the twenty amp fuse in the engine fuse box.

PhantomLover007
05-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah, my lighter socket is short. I hate that sh!T. i've blown quite a few fuses just trying to plug in my PDA. If you hit or move around the plug, it blows the fuse. I was actually looking at putting an outlet on the back of the center console, but still trying to figure out exactly where to put it. ;crap