Ebay Regulator Reliability [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Regulator Reliability

Ajaxus
10-26-2007, 02:06 PM
How reliable are the window regulators on ebay compared to the ones the dealer sells? My drivers side on my sedan bit the dust today and the body shop quoted me around $180 for a replacement. The ones on ebay are touching off at around $30-40 shipped...big price difference.

If it helps, the shop refuses to install used parts, and I'm with them since this is my second regulator to break in 2 weeks.

BMOBYLE
10-26-2007, 02:30 PM
gotta http link to those regulators??

And what do you mean you have had the shop install 2?
recently?
where they new when they installed them?

Most respectable shops gaurantee workmanship and parts for 12k miles or a year which ever comes first. Body damage can be an exclusive to this though.

give us some more info.

Tonyyank
10-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I got 1 and it was just fine!! I'd go for it and save many bucks!!! Takes like 10 mins to install too!!!

If you need help putting it in, drive on up....very easy!!!

And what was funny, the sent me an extra one for free like a week afterwards....sold it to someone on here back in the day for like 25 shipped lol

iceman
10-26-2007, 02:54 PM
I used an ebay one, the motor was wound backwards which wasn't a big deal, just reversed the wires on the plug. Something to test before you put everything back together.

Ajaxus
10-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Yeh, was gonna fix it myself except for two things..one is I couldn't find one of the bolts to remove to get the panel off, the other is that the bolts are all stripping out..and the whole warrantied work bit is more appetizing than having to fix this time and time again.

I just wanted to know if they held up well to wear and tear so I can keep that as an option.

BMOBYLE
10-26-2007, 03:38 PM
and the whole warrantied work bit is more appetizing than having to fix this time and time again.

yeah but is it? or do you still have to find that out?

Ajaxus
10-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I'll be asking when I go in next week, I imagine it is though. His insistance on using only new parts makes me think that, because otherwise he probably expects he'd have to value the warranty too often.

lone_wolf025
10-26-2007, 05:28 PM
my advice is to bite the bullet. I bought an ebay unit thinking I'd save money as I have a 200 dollar deduct on my warranty. the unit did not fit and failed a week or so after a jury rigged install. I wound up paying almost 400 bucks in total end costs including the cost of the original ebay regulator. The reason behind the cost was a new (discounted) oem regulator and new oem motor as the one included in the ebay item had a lobed drive gear for the motor, whereas the oem unit is a fine toothed gear. The last bit was from the repair cost of replacing two sash clips cuz the expoxy I bought didnt harden properly. Remember my window job at the lake in antioch?

In short be weary.

Tonyyank
10-26-2007, 05:33 PM
my advice is to bite the bullet. I bought an ebay unit thinking I'd save money as I have a 200 dollar deduct on my warranty. the unit did not fit and failed a week or so after a jury rigged install. I wound up paying almost 400 bucks in total end costs including the cost of the original ebay regulator. The reason behind the cost was a new (discounted) oem regulator and new oem motor as the one included in the ebay item had a lobed drive gear for the motor, whereas the oem unit is a fine toothed gear. The last bit was from the repair cost of replacing two sash clips cuz the expoxy I bought didnt harden properly. Remember my window job at the lake in antioch?

In short be weary.

Installer ?????:D ;) Jury rig, mine fit like a glove, it seriously took less than 10 mins....

Jake
10-26-2007, 05:35 PM
I used an ebay one, the motor was wound backwards which wasn't a big deal, just reversed the wires on the plug. Something to test before you put everything back together.

Same thing I did lol, i had 1 fail after 2-3 months, the other (backwards one) been going strong in my old Se for over a year.

lone_wolf025
10-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Installer ?????:D ;) Jury rig, mine fit like a glove, it seriously took less than 10 mins....

My understanding is that some people have had luck with the ebay regulators, and some have not. I was one of the "have not's". In such a case of hit or miss, its simply something to consider with a note of caution. Personally, I will never buy another replacement regulator from ebay. I learned my lesson the hard way.

djw4one
10-28-2007, 09:46 PM
If anyone needs the clips that attach to the window you can get them from technology lk 19.95 for a box of 5

lone_wolf025
10-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Or you can get them from the dealer for like 2 or 3 bucks a pop.

djw4one
10-28-2007, 09:55 PM
my dealers want 10 bucks apiece

lone_wolf025
10-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Ah. Well then, except in cases where the dealer is charging an arm and a leg then...

Ajaxus
06-03-2008, 02:57 PM

Bringin back an old thread because uhh..yeah, wires are switched on the regulator I'm putting in..did you just cut, strip, and tape or is there another way you switched them? ;crap (Or if anyone has recommendations, shoot)

Edit: I'm gonna go cut the wires and pray this works..and have fun with the electrical tape so it lasts..heh..oh wait, I got an even better idea.. :D Gotta love left over toys from other projects..I'll take a cell pic when I'm done if we still have these "items" I'm thinking of.... hehehe

iceman
06-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Don't be cuttin anything. There's a retainer clip that keeps the wires in the plug.. remove that and you can pull the wires out, switch, and replace. Take a pic and I'll describe it for you

Ajaxus
06-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Too late, and my fix worked, this is what I was about to post..

Used a pair of 3M™ Scotchlok™ IDC Connector 316IR

http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/294b64510.jpg

Excuse the ****ty camera phone pic, but this is the result:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/Ajaxus/0603081727a.jpg

Takes up a bit more space, but it's water proof and shock resistant..nothing is bringing those wires apart.. :D

I recommend everyone go buy some of these, I forgot I had them but it's a better fix when you get in a jam..

iceman
06-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Uh no. Everyone else should take this as a lesson on what NOT to do, there's no need to cut or splice anything.

lone_wolf025
06-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Uh no. Everyone else should take this as a lesson on what NOT to do, there's no need to cut or splice anything.

Hah hah. Well why do things the easy when there's a harder, but more fun way of doing things lol

Ajaxus
09-29-2008, 06:52 PM
So, ebay regulator = dead as of today.

Time to buy yet another... ;crap

Altho, the motor seems to be fine..maybe I can mock up a temp fix as it seems to be the clips..we'll see when I break the door apart..

Jake
09-29-2008, 08:04 PM
So, ebay regulator = dead as of today.

Time to buy yet another... ;crap

Altho, the motor seems to be fine..maybe I can mock up a temp fix as it seems to be the clips..we'll see when I break the door apart..

What I always had happen was the like little white colored pulley looking thing that the wire is guided on, it seems to fall off of that/break causing the wire to bind up/fray all that fun sh!t. Never seems as though the motor goes out.

Ajaxus
09-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah, we'll see the damage later this week..damnit.