OEM plugs? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : OEM plugs?

redhotalero
10-28-2007, 11:22 PM
I'll get flamed for this I know, but am slightly confused -

Everywhere I've looked something says that the OEM plug for our 3.4L GrandAm/Alero is AC Delco Platinum -- then I go to the store to get some and he tells me that I need DOUBLE Platinum since that is what it comes with....

I did a search, but didn't have anything difinitive... What are the best plugs to use with the 3.4L? I haven't modded it at all except for a K&N air filter (drop in kind). Should I stick with platinums or go iridium?

Help?

Cliff8928
10-28-2007, 11:28 PM
They are in fact double platinum. However if you get a new plug AC Delco plug it will most likely be the new 41-101 Iridium plug which is now spec'd for the 3400.

hass
10-29-2007, 01:03 PM
I was wondering this as well.
Since I'm looking for new plugs @ 100k.

redhotalero
10-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Sweet, thanks for the info -- nobody has said anything about iridium!

redhotalero
10-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Do I have to do anything different if I put in Iridium plugs? My car is stock except for a dropin K&N air filter.... Does a car need to adjust to new, more efficient plugs, or what? Any difference between double platinum and iridium for daily driving?

AaronGTR
10-30-2007, 06:55 PM
For daily driving... no. Really you won't see much difference using different plugs at all unless unless running a performance engine setup and needing to use plugs of a different material or heat range. Your computer won't need any adjusting for iridium plugs. As long as they are the correct size and heat range as stock they will run the same.

redhotalero
11-01-2007, 08:19 AM
So best plugs to go with would be what? I'm at 100k and I'm sure they're stock.... Would it be best to keep the platinum or go with the iridium. Bost last a killer long time, right?

I'm changing the plugs too, but should I change the coils too? Doing a major tuneup and want to get everything right!

AaronGTR
11-01-2007, 03:38 PM
I'd stick with platinum. Either stock delcos or NGK's. They will last and work fine and they are cheaper.

GMMike
11-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Might be a dumb question but can use those 41-101 AC Delco Iridium plugs in a 99 with the 3400? The reason I ask is because I looked at the plugs listed for my car at a local auto parts store and they didn't have that one, only for the newer models.