Oil Change Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change Question

jhorton
11-01-2007, 10:35 AM
I have been told to change my oil every 3 months or 5000 km's. So far in 3 months I have only put on 2000 km's. Should I still get an oil change right away or can I wait a couple weeks or so?

RayZ
11-01-2007, 10:42 AM
I'd just wait for the change oil light to come on. I understand that the oil monitor system is pretty elaborate.

http://www.goodwrench.com/_res/pdf/SimpMaintConsumerQA.pdf

DomesticFreak
11-01-2007, 12:18 PM
If you've only put on 2000km's in 3 months, how do you drive? Do you drive much in stop and go traffic? How do you drive your car? Beat it or baby it? What kinda oil is in it? Synthetic? or Conventional?

I change my oil in my truck every 3000 miles (5000km's) because I beat the crap outta it. So by the time 3-4000 miles comes around, it's time for a change.

Check your oil. Use a clean paper towel to wipe off the dip-stick. If the oil is black, or a very dark brown, change it. If it's still a lighter tan or a light brown, you'll be fine for a little while.

jhorton
11-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Most of my driving is city driving to work and back. Usually my km's are a lot higher, I guess I haven't gone too far in a while. I don't really drive it too hard. I am just using 5w oil.

Metallman56
11-01-2007, 03:11 PM
i'd change it asap. but at the same time its really no big deal if you go over a week or 2.

cardude007617
11-01-2007, 03:13 PM
thread jack: does the monitor get reset if the battery is out for an hour or 2?

Mike Jung
11-01-2007, 07:07 PM
GM Canada currently recommends (with API SM/GF-4 motor oils) oil change intervals of:
6-months or if your oil change monitor goes off.

But don't go over the mileage limit, if the oil change monitor light does not come on.
In my '99 GA it is 12.5K km (about 7.8K miles).
The later year models GA's I have heard it is a limit a little bit higher (refer to your owner's manual).

I personal use German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil & an oversized (similar in size to an AC Delco PF-52) NAPA Gold oil filter at 1-year oil change intervals or if the oil change light comes on (which is what the owner's manual states).
But I never go over the mileage limit of 12.5K km, during a year.
(I used to do 6-months oil change intervals before; but now have cut back my driving mileage.)

But you must check you oil level monthly; to see if you need to add any oil, to maintain the proper oil level.
Which for me has been about 500mL in over a year's usage at 10K km.

onesexyga
11-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Not to hijack, but i put about 5k a year on my car, mix of highway and country roads, no city. I kind of just wing my oil changes. I've never had the oil light go off (broken id imagine). Oil always looks clean. Safe to go longer than 3 months, or should i stick to 3 months, which will always come before 3k miles?

Mike Jung
11-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Not to hijack, but i put about 5k a year on my car, mix of highway and country roads, no city. I kind of just wing my oil changes. I've never had the oil light go off (broken id imagine). Oil always looks clean. Safe to go longer than 3 months, or should i stick to 3 months, which will always come before 3k miles?
With good oil: Extend it out to 6-months, & go from there.

digitalballz
11-01-2007, 09:19 PM
3 months 3 thousand thats my final answer! I have seen the insides of motors that were changed when the change oil light came on... not pretty. On another note we had a customer try to have toyota give her a new car cuz her motor seized at 53k miles..... she NEVER changed the oil!!! HAHAHA

howlinwolf
11-01-2007, 10:17 PM
im gonna say this. i always change oil at 3000 miles, because i drive a lot, but have you ever torn an engine down? look at the main bearings, if you see copper, there was 1. improper lubrication, or 2. foregin (sp?) material in the oil. and when the mains go, it goes up, next its the rods, then the cam. the more you change the oil, the better off you will be.

digitalballz
11-02-2007, 05:55 PM
^ smart guy!! Listen to him