testing fuel pressure on 2004 grand am gt [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : testing fuel pressure on 2004 grand am gt

nickofcourse
11-05-2007, 07:29 PM
it seems i have a power steering hose right infront of the schrader valve. the hose is metal so i cant move it. i ll have a picture tomorrow if you guys need referance. how do you guys test the fuel rail on 2004 models? like i said i cant screw the gauge into it becuase of a metal pump obstrcuting it.

traingeek087
11-06-2007, 04:36 PM
hmmm didn't have a problem on mine today? u sure your on the right connection?

AaronGTR
11-06-2007, 05:06 PM
The powersteering pumps and hoses should be the same between all model years. The hose closest to the test port is the return hose. It has a short rubber section since it is low pressure, and it is lower, so it should be out of the way or you can bend it down slightly if needed. The hose further out from the test port is the pressure line that is all metal and doesn't move. It should be bent with a bit of an S shape so that the line to the port is clear. It's a little tight, but you should be able to get in and put a fitting on the port. If all else fails though, you'll have to take out the upper engine mount and remove the three bolts holding the PS pump on (behind the PS pulley), so that you can pull the pump out of the way. Of course you'll only be able to test the pressure with the engine off then.

Malaclypse
11-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Bah. Use a screwdriver or small prybar to manipulate that line as needed. You'll get it to work out just fine. And yes, while those metal power steering lines can take some punishment, they can't be bent too far or they'll kink.

I've been doing this for years without any adverse effects.

Sprucegagt
11-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Bah. Use a screwdriver or small prybar to manipulate that line as needed. You'll get it to work out just fine. And yes, while those metal power steering lines can take some punishment, they can't be bent too far or they'll kink.

I've been doing this for years without any adverse effects.

I did the same thing on my car. It's no big deal as long as it's a minor adjustment.