2.4 L Alero - coolant leak [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 L Alero - coolant leak

pwrnxs
11-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Hey gang, I've searched and couldn't find a clear answer. I've had to replace the UIM and LIM gaskets on my 3.4 but I've got a buddy with a 2.4L alero and it's also leaking coolant.

I couldn't find much on that motor as far as coolant leaks and would appreciate any first hand knowledge of that motor you all could share. Does the intake manifold gasket also go bad on these or could it just be the water pump? Thanks for any help you can offer!

rocketfast123
11-07-2007, 05:45 PM
If it's leaking on the pass side, mioght be the water pump.

GA SE/T
11-07-2007, 10:47 PM
^^Yes, an exact location of the leak would be helpfull....:duh:

nate2023
11-07-2007, 11:07 PM
If i remember correctly, the water pump on the 2.4L engines are a pain to change, but this was on an olds'

pwrnxs
11-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks guys, I'm afraid you're right about the water pump, it's got a nice drip coming from the weep hole. And you weren't kidding about it being a pain. You've got to remove the exhaust manifold and then on top of that the pump is ran off the timing chain, uggh.

Anybody have an idea what the labor cost on a job like that would run? If it was my car I'd tackle it but I'm not comfortable tearing into someone else's engine.

I really do appreciate the help, this site is great.

Mike Jung
11-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks guys, I'm afraid you're right about the water pump, it's got a nice drip coming from the weep hole. And you weren't kidding about it being a pain. You've got to remove the exhaust manifold and then on top of that the pump is ran off the timing chain, uggh.

Anybody have an idea what the labor cost on a job like that would run? If it was my car I'd tackle it but I'm not comfortable tearing into someone else's engine...
IIRC, 6 labour hours is the book rate.

Don't forget to change the Thermostat & the timing chain tensioner thing; while you have it all opened up.

Lab Rat
11-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Thermostat is changed from below the car, no need to open it up for the that but as Mike said the tensioner and guides should be changed.