No power until 3500prm? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : No power until 3500prm?

redhotalero
11-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Hey all, just wondered if anyone else experienced or is experiencing this -

Background: 2000 Alero 3.4L (I know, I know -- shoulda gotten a GT) with 105k miles on the clock. I've just done a major tuneup, including fuel filter, air filter, plugs/wires, belts, coolant flush, etc. with a tranny fluid change on the way.

Problem: It feels ridiculously slow until the tach goes northward of about 3000-3500rpm. It used to be punchy lower than that, what gives? To describe it, it's like I get on it, it goes kinda, and once it hits that mark it really takes off and puts a grin on your face, like the anchor tied to your bumper isn't there anymore...

I was thinking MAF or maybe throttle body needs cleaning?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

cardude007617
11-08-2007, 02:03 PM
its called a power curve bro. the HP and trq on 3400s comes in at around 3500-4200.

redhotalero
11-08-2007, 02:13 PM
LOL, thanks man, I know what a power curve is -- been working on cars since I was old enough to hand my dad a torque wrench. I just mean it is something that I didn't notice before, like there is a literal lack of power before then. I don't think it's me being overly observant because of the tune-up either...

GrandAmGT1996
11-08-2007, 03:37 PM
just a little turbo lag, dont sweat it

lol

redhotalero
11-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Don't I wish.... Makes me miss my '95 Supra -- point, stomp accelerator, wait a tick -- holy cow hold on

Oh well, I'll get used to it, though I still don't think it was that weak before the tune-up...

lone_wolf025
11-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Yea my car is like that too. Though with the cutout closed it is a little peppier in that lower range, but when the cutout is open it really takes off after 3k rpm.

redhotalero
11-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Well then, it seems I was just waiting in anticipation for a miraculous performance after the tune-up... Thanks guys!

Graxall
11-09-2007, 08:30 AM
egr perhaps?
or yea clean the throttle body, thats the problem i just had.

well actualy i had a bad EGR valve, clogged throttle body, and a bad knock sensor lol

atc3434
11-09-2007, 09:02 AM
egr perhaps?
or yea clean the throttle body, thats the problem i just had.

well actualy i had a bad EGR valve, clogged throttle body, and a bad knock sensor lol

All of those things would inhibit top end power too, more so-infact that the low range. My 3400 has pretty weak bottom end, it pull nicely from about 3500rpm on up, but under that its pretty doggy. The 3.08 final drive makes things feel even weaker on the bottom end. I think the rated peak torque is at 4000rpm, which is pretty high.

How does somebody that used to own a Supra now own an Alero?

redhotalero
11-09-2007, 12:10 PM
:D Yeah, I know -- should have kept it! I sold it when I left for on a church mission to Russia -- it would have sat there for two years had I not. Besides, my uncle bought it, and lets me drive it whenever I'm home!

I got the Alero when I got back because I loved the look compared to the GT, but still had the V6 -- now that I'm married it's nice to have a car that can carry people and stuff and still have some level of zip...

Would I get a Supra again? Probably not -- have my eye on an RSX now...

rocketfast123
11-10-2007, 09:38 AM
It could not hurt to reset the computer.

Graxall
11-10-2007, 09:42 AM
All of those things would inhibit top end power too, more so-infact that the low range. My 3400 has pretty weak bottom end, it pull nicely from about 3500rpm on up, but under that its pretty doggy. The 3.08 final drive makes things feel even weaker on the bottom end. I think the rated peak torque is at 4000rpm, which is pretty high.

How does somebody that used to own a Supra now own an Alero?

A bad cat gives you power issues as well.

But its more noticable then just low rpm.