Flex Plate replacement [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Flex Plate replacement

awfulwaffle
11-10-2007, 11:53 AM
The flex plate is stripped in my '01 alero gls. Its to the point where it takes up to 10 minutes to get it to start, and while the car is just my beater I still want to keep it running well.

As far as I know, i will need to put the engine up on a block and unbolt the tranny to actually swap the flex plate.
Does anyone have any information that is specific to this procedure? a mechanic quoted me at 800 dollars for the repair, and i just dont' have that kind of money to put into this car.

any help is appreciated, thanks

awfulwaffle
11-19-2007, 12:43 PM
bump

awfulwaffle
11-22-2007, 06:32 PM
guess not, eh?

XtremeGaGt00
11-22-2007, 07:43 PM
how is the flex plate stripped...the teeth?...if so, wow, i never heard of that..IMO..id pull the trans..or depending on what you can get ahold of tools wise, drop the cradle some, of course unbolt the engine from it,and the trans...and raise the motor so you can get to the bolts for the flexplate and do it that way..juss throwin out ideas...

geldartb
11-22-2007, 07:47 PM
i just got to ask how the hell did you strip the teeth on the flex plate. are you sure its not the gear on the starter that's stripped

Malaclypse
11-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Things like this happen... but yes, I'd check the starter first.

In replacing a flexplate you have only two options. Remove the engine or remove the cradle and transmission.

awfulwaffle
11-22-2007, 11:42 PM
oh boy, wonderful.

i'll check the starter, but its brand new. my stepdad has been driving the car, and i replaced the starter right before he got the car. i dunno, he does have a tendency to hold the ignition for a while

what leads me to believe that the teeth on the flex plate are wrecked is the fact that the car will crank normally at certain times, but at others it starts like ****. I'm thinking that the teeth are stripped on part of it and not on another. Two local mechanics concurred with me on this, but they both asked way too much for labor. Considering that its freezing and i have to do all my work outside, i think i'll let this one sit for the winter.

thanks for all the help everyone

Malaclypse
11-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Are you sure its not an extended crank and the flexplate is fine?

If you hear a grinding before the engine turns over you have good reason to think its the flex plate. However, if the engine cranks and cranks for awhile but does not start, you're better off looking at your fuel injectors or fuel pressure regulator as the problem.

awfulwaffle
11-23-2007, 12:01 AM
it grinds like hell before it starts, and sometimes it doesn't start at all. I'm almost completely positive its the flex plate. i'll check out the starter, and i guess i'll see which it isthen