Cleaning wheel sensor [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning wheel sensor

Quaf069
11-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Hey all,

I posted a while back about the "low traction" light coming on when making turns at slow speeds, especially when backing out of parking spaces.

The overall response was to clean the wheel sensors at first.

Question: what do you use to clean the wheel sensors (what product)?

Thanks
Quaf

Graxall
11-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Hey all,

I posted a while back about the "low traction" light coming on when making turns at slow speeds, especially when backing out of parking spaces.

The overall response was to clean the wheel sensors at first.

Question: what do you use to clean the wheel sensors (what product)?

Thanks
Quaf

didnt know there was a wheel sensor..i know theres a traction control module/sensor

homeskillit37
11-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Last time i did mine I just used some electrical parts cleaner. It comes in a spray can. You can pick it up at any parts store.

Quaf069
12-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Hey all. you all have been very helpful, saving me $$ on simple repairs. It's time to give back to the community!

So here is what was happening to my car:

I would back out of a parking space, turn my wheels and the "low traction light" would come on. The light would go off when I straightened out my wheels and drove forward. However, the problem got worse, it now included times when I would turn my wheels at slow speeds going forward as well. It got to the point where there were times that the "Service Veichle Soon " Light and "No Trac" light came on. I would have to shut the car off and turn it back on.

I've been seeing the suggestions to get some electrical cleaner and spraying it on the wheel sensors (the cheap way), or taking it to the dealer (having the risk of them telling me I need a new wheel assembly and charging me alot of $$).

I went with option 1 and it worked (Cleaning the Wheel Sensors). Here is what I did:

1. The Parts:

- Electrical Cleaner from Radio Shack - $10 (see attachement)
- GM Dielectrical Silcone Grease- GM Part #12345579 - $11 (see attachement)

2. What I did:

Take off your two front tires. You do not have to remove any other parts. Behind the rotor, you will see an electrical plug that is connected by a plastic "clip". Disconnect the clip and you will see the connectors. Spray the Electrical cleaner from radio shack on each set of connectors. After that, take a plastic straw or coffee stirer and put some of the dielectrical grease on it. Really put alot of the grease on the senors (even leave chunks of it on the sensor). This will help make a better electrical connection.

Connect the clip back together and put the wheel back on. You are done! Takes like 5 minutes. Now do the other front wheel.

- Before taking you low traction light problem to the dealer, try this first. It may just be a dirty wheel sensor.

- its been over a month and no low traction light.

I hope this helps some people out.

Quaf

SikMindz
12-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Good post Quaf- starting to get the same issues and was wondering if it was as intensive as taking off the calipers and everything. Good to see that you don't need to.

SSRacer
12-06-2007, 04:57 PM
May have to do this one. Every now and then my traction and abs lights will come on and I have to shut the car off to fis it. Get the traction light when pulling out of parking spaces too.