Oil pan removal [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Oil pan removal

00 GA GT
11-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Hey all, I have certain need to replace the gasket on my oil pan but I can not seem to get the bugger off the car. What I have done so far is jack up the passenger side of the engine like all the other threads say to do, taken off all the bolts and tried working with it for an hour or two. The thing still feels like it has every single bolt on the car and wont budge. Does any one have the electric manual for the car or any thing on what else I should try?

XtremeGaGt00
11-10-2007, 08:36 PM
not only are there bolts on the top side of the pan, theres bolts on the sides also on each side...when i did mine i also had to undo all the engine mounts and lift the motor some to get the pan out because it was hitting the cradle...just the way i went at it...you may find somthing diff.

williamGT
11-10-2007, 09:02 PM
silicone sticking to the block

Jake
11-10-2007, 09:31 PM
have fun with this, i had to replace the oil pan gasket on my old se, wat a fockin pain in the ass.

00 GA GT
11-10-2007, 09:46 PM
haha yeah it is deff not being fun, where exactly are the bolts on the side, I was on my back for half an hour looking for them and didn't see them? can you elaborate?

AaronGTR
11-11-2007, 08:21 AM
There are three bolts on each side of the oil pan that go into the crank main caps. They face the front and back of the car since the engine is transverse. Then there are all the little bolts around the flange that go into the block. Once those are all out it should drop right down. It might be stuck a little from being baked on with the gasket but a little prying or tapping with a hammer should pop it loose. I believe there is an oil level sensor you have to unplug from the harness too, but it's easy to find iirc.

How you get to those bolts on the back side, and how you squeeze the pan out afterwards is up to you to figure out. I've only taken my oil pan off while the entire engine was out of the car. ;)

Malaclypse
11-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Only way I've found to get those three rear PITA bolts is to use a wrench or a ratchet and socket. You're going to cut yourself up doing it too because you have to wedge your hand inbetween the transmission and the oil pan on the inside-most bolt.

Unfortuatenly the only way around this is to remove the engine or the transmission.