Brake pads wore down too quickly [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads wore down too quickly

FuriousG
11-11-2007, 02:25 PM
I've got a bit of a question for you guys. I got a new set of RKSport rotors and pads installed for all 4 wheels in Feb of last year. In Mayt I deployed to the desert for 6 months and my car was driven only about once a month by my wife while I was gone. We also loaned it to a friend in August for about a month after thier car broke down but he only used it to go to work and back (yes, I do trust him completely.) Anyway, my wife informed me last month that the brakes were making an awful squealing sound ALL the time and she parked the car until I got home last week. I took the wheels off and found that both of the front brake pads on the outside edge of the rotors were worn completely down to the metal. The inside brake pads were still at least a quarter inch thick. I replaced all four of the front pads but I'm wodering what may have caused a brand new set of what I assumed were quality pads to wear out with less than 3000 miles total on them over the course of 8 months. I have normal rotors (no slotted or drilled) and I used the normal pads instead of ceramic ones.

All I can assume is that the piston inside the calipers stuck. I hit them with WD-40 since it's all I had at the time but I'm worried it may happen again. What SHOULD I be doing to make sure this doesn't happen with these new brake pads?

Mike Jung
11-11-2007, 02:31 PM
...All I can assume is that the piston inside the calipers stuck. I hit them with WD-40 since it's all I had at the time but I'm worried it may happen again. What SHOULD I be doing to make sure this doesn't happen with these new brake pads?
Warning:

Please do NOT use WD-40; as it is flammable !!!

I will leave it to other to tell you, what you should use...

Bryan
11-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Perhaps the brake lines collapsed?

digitalballz
11-11-2007, 04:57 PM
just buy a set of calipers. You can free them up, but they will most likely freeze up again.

FuriousG
11-12-2007, 02:12 AM
Warning:

Please do NOT use WD-40; as it is flammable !!!

I will leave it to other to tell you, what you should use...

Well, now I feel retarded since I didn't even think of that at the time. Thank God nothing happened when I drove it afterwards. I'd prefer not to buy new calipers right now if anyone knows what sort of lubricant I need to use. At least for a short term fix until I can get new calipers shipped to Germany.

Sprucegagt
11-12-2007, 07:49 AM
I take it you lubricated the caliper pins good when you put the rksport rotors and pads on?

AaronGTR
11-12-2007, 02:30 PM
^Yep, caliper pins could cause them to stick and wear unevenly if they weren't well lubed up.

You said the outside pads were worn down to the metal backing plate right? Did you get the rotors turned? Because the pads were probably wearing grooves into the rotors (unless there weren't actually down to the backing plate, you'd know it). Make sure the rotors are smooth before you put new pads on and make sure the caliper slider pins are well lubed with silicone grease. If they still seem to stick, pads wear down fast, wheels get really hot, there's a lot of brake dust on them, etc... it's probably a stuck piston like digitalballz said and it's time to get new calipers.

SSRacer
11-12-2007, 02:35 PM
I'd look at the brake line and the caliper pins before replacing the whole caliper.

lone_wolf025
11-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like all GM single piston calipers have sticky slides?

digitalballz
11-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Yes they all do. You need to use some synthetic brake grease. Its black in color and gross as hell. But it works. If theres any rust on the sliders obviously clean them up first.....doh!

FuriousG
11-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Well, when I originally took the calipers off I had to use a hammer to make the wrench turn. They were on there extremely tight so that could have been part of the problem. I had the auto hobby shop on base put the rotors and pads on in Feb so I didn't actually see the work being done. I'm guessing that since only one of the brake pads on each wheel was worn down that the bolts are the more likely culprit than the piston.

As for the rotor, there were some very small grooves in the driver's side rotor. I'm not too worried about it right now since I had to get some cheap pads just to get the car running again. I'll probably order another set from RKSport and give this cheap set about a month or so to see if the pads are still wearing too quickly.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I have a pretty good understanding of what happened and how to fix it now. Hopefully I won't need new calipers (wife already vetoed the F-body brake upgrade.)

SSRacer
11-13-2007, 09:06 AM
(wife already vetoed the F-body brake upgrade.)

LOL...if only my wife knew that was one of the reasons I got new wheels...:D

digitalballz
11-13-2007, 05:07 PM
he he he.... ^he's sneaky!! lol

Malaclypse
11-14-2007, 06:22 PM
I just remembered something. I've heard that switching the inside and outside pads on an N-body will eat the front brakes like this.

If you look at the pads closely, there will be a tab in the middle on the outer edge of the backing plate. The tab for the inside pad is longer than the one for the outside pad. If you switch the two, the outside pad will bind against the spring that fits in the center of the caliper and cause the pads to grab and not release properly.

They'll last about 4,000 miles before needing to be replaced again. I'd also reccomend you get the rotors turned anyways.

FuriousG
11-15-2007, 01:59 AM
I had wondered if there was any difference to the inner and outer pads. I'll have to take it all apart again and check to see if I got it right this time. Chances are that I didn't since I didn't know what to look for...

I need to swap to my winter tires this week anyway since the snow started falling already. Looks like the tire swap will include a brake check while I'm out there. Thanks for the info.