looseness in front end. Tie rod end? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : looseness in front end. Tie rod end?

ryanbgb22
11-11-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm sorry to make a new thread, but everything that came up for searching for "tie rod end" didnt really make anything clear or answer my question.

Ok. So when i go over small bumps, like backing out of my drivway, and run over the little bump at the end, i can feel a bit of a loose feeling. Also, it seems that my steering is very loose. When the car is off, (no power steering) there seems to be a ton of play in my steering wheel.

When my front left tire is jacked up...(only tried the left side b/c that seems to be more of the problem) i can shake the wheel a good deal with my hands on 9 and 3. However, i cannot shake at all on 12 and 6.

Also, when i am coming to a stop, if i have the wheel slightly turned while i am stopping, i get a bit of a rubbing sound out of the front left wheel. I dont even know if this is related?

Does anyone know what the possible cause for this can be...It's driving me crazy, and im starting to get a bit scared knowing it might be steering related.

stewartfn18
11-12-2007, 06:34 AM
i dont know about the whole rubbing thing but if you can move the wheel at 9 and 3 then that sounds like a bad outer tie rod. My suggestion is that if one is bad the other is going bad. Just replace both.

ieguana
11-22-2007, 01:27 PM
that really sounds like a going/bad Tie Rod. That is something that should be fixed rather quickly. Like you said it's something you don't want to play around with. The movement for 12 & 6 would be a sign of a ball joint. Good research.

wtselig07
11-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Jack the front up and shake the tire 9 and 3. Keep your hand at 9 and reach your other hand in and grab the tie rod end and shake the wheel back and forth. Pay attention as to where you feel the free play. If at the outer tie rod end closest to the wheel yes bad outer tie rod. Then reach back and grab where the rod comes out of the rack. If its there then its a bad inner tie rod.

Keep in mind that steering wheel free play can come from a worn U-joint at the base of the steering column also.

BTW shaking the wheel 12 and 6 checks wheel bearing/ball joint free play. Incase you were wondering.

Firebirdnyc
11-30-2007, 11:28 AM
my grand am has a little play in the rack itself, no inner or outer tie rod play just in the rack. I would say internally i get a lil thump when i shake it from the middle to left and right. It starting to get alot worst now . Just somethign else to look for

wtselig07
12-02-2007, 11:19 AM
my grand am has a little play in the rack itself, no inner or outer tie rod play just in the rack. I would say internally i get a lil thump when i shake it from the middle to left and right. It starting to get alot worst now . Just somethign else to look for

did you check the rack bushings? They're known to go bad a lot of the time...