04 GT Skipping? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 04 GT Skipping?

KJMach
11-14-2007, 08:14 AM
Ok, we've had this car for a couple years now, its been great except for the wheel bearings that keep going, but knock on wood, we haven't had anymore problems with them so far....

The problem is skipping, month ago i cleaned the filter(gets nasty quick w/ the ramair) and i decided well, i wonder how the TB looks. YUCK So, i pulled that and gave it a carb cleaning, pulled the sensors first ofcoarse. The IAT was NASTY so i did the same procedure i do on my truck and gently clean it with cleaner. Through it back together and it runs alot better definetly.

Ok, so since this is my dads car i don't drive it much but he does everyday. I took it for gas and while it was idling while i was checking air pressue i noticed the motor was runnin rough but its always kinda done that. when i got to the back tires i heard the exhaust rattling, im like? so i wait and i listen, its misfireing, i put my hand to to the exhaust and it misfires every couple seconds.... So i revved it a few times and im pretty sure its not condinsation but it was smoking a little when it got near the 3800rpm cut out point.
Could use some suggestions guys, maybe a tune up is in order? No SVS or SES lights are on.

Info:
~105,000mi
Orig. ignition parts, etc.
Burns very little oil, inbetween 10k mi changes (WIX filter w/ AMSOIL 5w-30)
need anymore info ask....

On another note, the motor on start up and for a while as always had a severe amount of piston slap or whatever, is this bad?

Thanks

flems17
11-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Piston slap is common in GA's I believe, hase something to do with the aluminum pistons shrinking when they cool down. Once they warm up again they get a little bigger hence the noise stops. *Do correct me if I'm wrong.*

As far as your current situation, maybe its time to change spark plugs/wires?

KJMach
11-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Piston slap is common in GA's I believe, hase something to do with the aluminum pistons shrinking when they cool down. Once they warm up again they get a little bigger hence the noise stops. *Do correct me if I'm wrong.*

As far as your current situation, maybe its time to change spark plugs/wires?

Yeah, i remember hearing about that also. Besides plugs and wires what does it need? Is there coil packs etc? im pretty sure theres no distrib cap and rotor.

Its funny, our old 2000 2.4l had close to 170k before we wrecked, it never a problem... burned alot of oil but, never got a tune up lol.

flems17
11-14-2007, 12:46 PM
If someone would second just a wire and plug change, I'd go ahead with it.

O/T: As for my 99 GAGT, its going on strong at 202,000km. Runs like a dream. Mind you I bought the car with a cracked cylindar head which I fixed through my dads work. Just keep the tune ups in order and you should be fine.

KJMach
11-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Also off the topic....
Yeah we've had decent luck with our grand ams, except every single one of them has had atleast 1 transmission failure, except this one so far...

88 Turbo GA - Turbo Went 130k=Traded for 91 Lebaron-Tranny failure 145k=
96 GA GT 5spd-Tranny went 148k=00 GA SE-Tranny went 90k, again at 115k, totalled out 170k=04 GAGT-Lots of wheel bearings....

take in mind this is like from years ranging from 95-now the longest car we had.... bought new in 88.

digitalballz
11-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Yes just a plug/wire change. there is no dist cap. You could do a pcv valve and a fuel filter just to avoid any further headaches.