high output alternators [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : high output alternators

cardude007617
11-16-2007, 12:17 AM
i know about the general companies that make HO alts for our cars like mr alt. but what about these 2:
1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GRAND-AM-CHEVY-MALIBU-OLDS-CUTLASS-200-AMP-ALTERNATOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQihZ00 3QQitemZ130173411204QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

and

2. http://www.motorcityreman.com/grandam-cs130d-2.html

i mean the prices are all pretty much the same +/- 15 bucks or so

mr alt-$225 for a 160amp (http://www.mralternator.com/alternators/grandam.html)
ebay-$220 for a 200 amp
motorcityreman-~210 for a 160 amp

comments please

Tank33
11-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Anybody make a HO alternator that fits on the 04's?

Jake
11-16-2007, 01:13 AM
i know about the general companies that make HO alts for our cars like mr alt. but what about these 2:
1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GRAND-AM-CHEVY-MALIBU-OLDS-CUTLASS-200-AMP-ALTERNATOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQihZ00 3QQitemZ130173411204QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

and

2. http://www.motorcityreman.com/grandam-cs130d-2.html

i mean the prices are all pretty much the same +/- 15 bucks or so

mr alt-$225 for a 160amp (http://www.mralternator.com/alternators/grandam.html)
ebay-$220 for a 200 amp
motorcityreman-~210 for a 160 amp

comments please

Everyone has had good experiences with mr alt, I would go with him, id personally stay away from ebay if there are other options.. I orderd from motorcityreman and one of the guide holes that the bolt went through was a TINY bit off, took 5 minutes to fix and overall was very happy with it.

Anybody make a HO alternator that fits on the 04's?

Do a search on irragi, a man named dominck irragi makes custom HO alts. I will get his email address for you if you like, he quoted me 350 bucks for a 200 amp, which i feel is a pretty good price for it being custom made, ive heard good things all around about him.

SSRacer
11-16-2007, 08:11 AM
I am getting ready to replace my Mr. Alternator one with a new factory replacement. First the pulley I got with it was incorrect, so I put the factory pulley on it. It has never put out enough juice at idle to even run just my lights without them dimming, and this is with the power wire to my amp completely disconnected. It's fine at higher rpm, but ad idle it just blows. If I had an overdrive pulley or something that would probably work, but I can't find one.

Jake
11-16-2007, 03:30 PM
I am getting ready to replace my Mr. Alternator one with a new factory replacement. First the pulley I got with it was incorrect, so I put the factory pulley on it. It has never put out enough juice at idle to even run just my lights without them dimming, and this is with the power wire to my amp completely disconnected. It's fine at higher rpm, but ad idle it just blows. If I had an overdrive pulley or something that would probably work, but I can't find one.

I believe they put out the same as stock at idle (HO alts). Not until a little higher do they put out the full 160-200 amp w/e yours may be. Ive only heard good things about Mr. Alt. Zzp sells an overdrive pulley..

cardude007617
11-16-2007, 03:31 PM
hmmm that doesnt sound very good.....^ i dont know, im kinda leaning towards MCR cuz its a little less money and jake had a good experience with em.
any idea where i can look to have mine rewound? and what it would cost me?

Jake
11-16-2007, 03:34 PM
hmmm that doesnt sound very good.....^ i dont know, im kinda leaning towards MCR cuz its a little less money and jake had a good experience with em.
any idea where i can look to have mine rewound? and what it would cost me?

Motorcityreman were good people to deal with they always responded fast to my emails when I emailed them, one of the holes was just a TINY bit off, like I said we fixed it in 5 minutes its nothing major, if you were to buy one nd by chance have the same problem I could help you through it easily. No clue about having it rewound.

cardude007617
11-16-2007, 03:43 PM
so ok, looks like im gonna go thru mcr i think. now, as i posted either here or on a car audio forum (i dont remember which) a while back, would adding a 2nd battery for playtime when the car off be "fine" with a high output alternator? like it really wouldnt put any extra stress on it?

SSRacer
11-16-2007, 10:13 PM
I'll have to check Zzp for that overdrive pulley. I guess the alternator is fine except at idle. Did a search on here and found that it is a problem with a lot of even HO alts.

SSRacer
11-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Just checked Zzp's site and only saw an underdrive pulley. :(

Jake
11-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Just checked Zzp's site and only saw an underdrive pulley. :(

Maybe they stopped selling it, they recently also stopped selling the lowering springs i got off them, like the day after minea rrived they stopped selling them

SSRacer
11-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Well that blows. I really don't want to go buy a new alt because there's not really anything wrong with this one, just needs more juice at idle. Zzp did have some inline alternator booster that is supposed to boost the output like .6 amps...not really sure how that works.

woodplock7
11-16-2007, 10:46 PM
i got a an excessive amperage (EA) 200a alt for like $350 or something shipped... its been working good for me so far. Im pretty sure that pretty much all 200a alts put around the stock alt power at idle but they put out like 200a at like 2000rmps... or something like that.

cardude007617
11-17-2007, 01:15 AM
sean, they still sell the overdrive pulleys, just look in the drop down menu under engien stuff i believe

Ajaxus
11-17-2007, 01:52 AM
i actually looked into buying online but after reading about the possible problems you can run into..going to a shop and having them rewind the alt for a higher output seems to be more ideal. if you have issues you can probably have a warranty to fall back on and not worry about shipping time. i haven't priced it out yet since i can't afford it (will do so on the spring time) but i imagine it would be another good option than buying a whole new one online.

SSRacer
11-17-2007, 12:58 PM
sean, they still sell the overdrive pulleys, just look in the drop down menu under engien stuff i believe

DOH! You are correct, I fail at life. I didn't notice the dropdown on the pulley page.

cardude007617
11-17-2007, 05:07 PM
so ok, how many shops or like where would i go to have someone rewind one for higher amperage?

Caleb
11-19-2007, 12:36 AM
We do custom alts at my work; Van's Electrical.

http://www.vanselec.com/

I'll see what you'd be looking at cost wise when I go in tomorrow, if you'd like.

Caleb
11-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Well, the stock alt can be rewound to a max of 140A it looks like, but it would be flaky.

A pulley swap can net you higher amperage at idle, but the most the stock can reliably produce looks like 70 amps, and it won't be too happy doing it.

Your best bet is custom mounting a larger unit, but of course that possibly involves mounting another pulley, and ideally you'd line them up using a laser.

Major PITA, but if you want it done right...

I'm wondering about the claims from some of these sites. I'm doubting the units are cranking out as much as they're saying in actual use.

Ajaxus
11-19-2007, 06:17 PM
If they lie you can get them on false advertising..no business really wants to be caught on that one because you can exploit it in so many ways.

For example I know someone that bought a car at about $3000 off the regular price because of a simple typo in the classifieds. (screw you bob before you reply)

It's a shame you guys can only get 140A out..I'm wanting about 150A minimum. Guess custom is the way to go then.. :(

Jake
11-19-2007, 07:47 PM
If they lie you can get them on false advertising..no business really wants to be caught on that one because you can exploit it in so many ways.

For example I know someone that bought a car at about $3000 off the regular price because of a simple typo in the classifieds. (screw you bob before you reply)

It's a shame you guys can only get 140A out..I'm wanting about 150A minimum. Guess custom is the way to go then.. :(

email dominick irragi :)

cardude007617
11-19-2007, 08:14 PM
yeah well you cant lie that over $300 is a little bit much for an alternator....

Ajaxus
11-19-2007, 08:17 PM
over $300? I was quoted nearly $600 for one from www.highoutputalternators.com

cardude007617
11-19-2007, 08:22 PM
lol ya......theyre a joke. irraggi is like 300 or so though. isnt the 160 amp one enough?

Ajaxus
11-19-2007, 08:41 PM
for now it should be..but i may be upgrading the system again..the sub im putting in is 1100rms 2000w peak..but the amp peaks out at 5000w (Rosado's old system) and if I can find another one of these subs at a decent deal I might get it..wouldn't two of these be too much work for a 160A alt? or no?

Edit: I found dominick's email address..does he have a website at all tho?

Caleb
11-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Not with a yellow top, and a bank of capacitors. ;crap

And I know they can't really lie outright about their alternators (or can they... I think we've all seen the Tornado commercial on Speed...) but look at it this way:

Are you listening to your system through an overdriven, custom wound alternator, bolted to a high RPM motor, running times at the strip?

Keep in mind too that I sell this stuff... which is a far cry from actually building the unit itself...

I'm going to do more digging tomorrow. I mean, hell, if we design dual alternator rigs for SEMA trucks, and then sell the kits... nothing is impossible, but it goes back to the old saying "How much do you wanna spend?"

With a group buy I'm sure I could convince my boss to do all kinds of oddball ****. (And HO units on our cars is definately oddball in the eyes of these people.)

Edit: If it's not something you need right away, see if you can hold off a bit. Really. If I can do some more digging I'm pretty sure I can come up with something. The main thing being you're not paying with your first born, actually have a warranty, and getting exactly what you think you're getting. I'd hate to see you guys get ripped by some shady ******* on the 'net.

Ajaxus
11-19-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm not gonna begin the install till late spring/early summer..so there's time to work with. If I can get a place close to home to do the work and warranty it then I would go with them over buying online. Because when it comes down to it, if the sh!t hits the fan, I want to be able to get the work done asap rather than wait weeks because of shipping and such.

nickofcourse
11-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Well that blows. I really don't want to go buy a new alt because there's not really anything wrong with this one, just needs more juice at idle. Zzp did have some inline alternator booster that is supposed to boost the output like .6 amps...not really sure how that works.

maybe raise your idle from 650 to about 850?

Caleb
11-20-2007, 12:49 AM
A boost of .6 amps isn't gonna be free... you're essentially dropping your voltage. Given, it's not much, but I'd be concerned with using such a thing, then having your alt crap out on you... causing dangerously low voltage, and frying something. Wouldn't be a big deal if it were some homebuilt device on the cheap, but I wouldn't place my audio equipment and electronics on the line.

Jake
11-20-2007, 01:16 AM
yeah well you cant lie that over $300 is a little bit much for an alternator....

not at all, Id gladly pay him that for a custom made alt. He could charge 500$ and im sure people would still buy from him. It think its a steal.

cardude007617
11-20-2007, 02:49 PM
A boost of .6 amps isn't gonna be free... you're essentially dropping your voltage. Given, it's not much, but I'd be concerned with using such a thing, then having your alt crap out on you... causing dangerously low voltage, and frying something. Wouldn't be a big deal if it were some homebuilt device on the cheap, but I wouldn't place my audio equipment and electronics on the line.

for the record, its .6 volts................

cardude007617
11-20-2007, 02:51 PM
so back on topic, which is best? mr alt, ebay, or mcr.

is it TRUE that mr alt gives you a smaller pulley to boost idle amperage? i thought i heard that because then MCR (+ $15 dollar smaller pulley) and the total mr alt total price would be the same...

hass
11-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Advanced Auto Parts sells a 160amp Alt for $248
I was thinking about picking one of those up.
Because they warranty it for a year and stuff.

I'm wondering about the whole idle thing though.

Because if like, I slow down for a stop light or anything, Does that mean my voltage will drop down and amplifiers will power off at every light?
I'm running a single 800RMS Amplifier, and I can't get above half volume -.-

Caleb
11-20-2007, 05:41 PM
for the record, its .6 volts................

He said it.

Caleb
11-20-2007, 05:43 PM
With any of these alts, assuming they're the same unit just rewound, you're going to get about 70 amps at idle tops.

The only way to get anything close to what some of you are wanting is with a larger unit, and a custom mount.

Jake
11-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Because if like, I slow down for a stop light or anything, Does that mean my voltage will drop down and amplifiers will power off at every light?
I'm running a single 800RMS Amplifier, and I can't get above half volume -.-

No..It isnt just going to power off in 5 seconds, While idleing is bad while playin ur system a lot it isnt gonna just shut off, just dont do it a lot, 90% of the time i turn my music down at stop lights.

SSRacer
11-20-2007, 06:56 PM
He said it.

My bad.

The pulley that came on my Mr. Alt was incorrect and I had to swap it for my factory one. If you look at the pulley from where the belt goes one side of it is thicker than the other. This was backwards on the mr alt one. While I was able to install it like this the belt squealed the entire time until I swapped it. Not sure if it was actually smaller or not.

Caleb
11-20-2007, 07:35 PM
A fast idle switch wouldn't be a bad idea. None made for our engines to my knowledge, but it could be made with a fairly simple circuit I assume.

Edit: I doubt the pulley was smaller... more likely someone made a mistake when grabbing for one, leading to your belt being slightly out of alignment. Generally when going to a smaller pulley, the difference in circumference isn't enough the tensioner can't pick up the slack.

Bryan
11-20-2007, 09:05 PM
90% of the time i turn my music down at stop lights.

x2, I feel like a jackass bumpin at the light with cars next to me.

Caleb
11-20-2007, 09:33 PM
x2, I feel like a jackass bumpin at the light with cars next to me.

http://uhri.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/bolton3.jpg

Bryan
11-20-2007, 09:41 PM
lol +1

Jake
11-20-2007, 09:47 PM
http://uhri.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/bolton3.jpg

ROFL. Nice Posi rep for that

I feel the same bryan

cardude007617
11-20-2007, 10:10 PM
sorry but why is something as simple as an alternator so complicated?

Jake
11-20-2007, 10:22 PM

it isnt, go buy one

hass
11-20-2007, 11:00 PM
lol, I'm usually too lazy to turn it down.
But if I see like a kid or something in a car nearby I will :s
Because I feel like a douche if the kid wakes up and starts crying ;p
lol.

Caleb
11-21-2007, 07:10 PM

It's like anything else... you want a faster engine, you have design limitations, and have to use what's available to build it up and beyond that it's all fab work and trial and error.

Same with alternators... there's one casing your car is designed to accept... you have certain parts available that fit within that casing or bolt to it... outside of that, a different casing requires custom mounting, additional pulleys, etc.

In *theory* a 3400 could crank out 1000HP... in reality, no way.

Your alternator could generate 500A in theory, but even if you designed everything from the ground up to fit inside the stock casing, you've gotta remember that it's gonna put a larger load on the engine turning it, as well as the belt.

Not to sound preachy but that's pretty much the sum of it.