Rhythmic vibration when cold... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rhythmic vibration when cold...

Dirtball
11-16-2007, 10:30 AM
In the last week my 03 GT/Sct1 has developed a rhythmic "thrumming" when it's cold... almost like the tires are flat spotted. The faster you go, the faster the rhythm... until everything warms up. After that, it can sit for hours, crank up, and it will be fine. The engine starts and runs properly; no problems cranking. I don't drive it everyday. I have a Honda for that. But after sitting for several days it has the rhythm thing going on.

I know I true diagnosis can't be made from this description, but do any of you have any ideas? It's been awhile since I had my tires balanced and rotated, so I'm going to start there... but do you have any other ideas?

Reverend
11-16-2007, 06:51 PM
I have heard of similar problems from wheel bearing grease getting contaminated and then thumping when cold. Did you recently have any wheel bearing work done?

Dirtball
11-16-2007, 10:00 PM
I had the front rotors replaced over the summer... and I just started noticing this problem after the weather turned a little colder, cold being relative here in Alabama, of course... it's gotten down to freezing several nights lately. It's something to think about.

Any further thoughts?

KJMach
11-18-2007, 09:32 AM
could be since everything is getting colder, your tires steel belting or whatever might be getting stiff while sitting for a few days and flat spots. it will thump until the tires warm up then un stiffen and feel fine again. its common in low profile tires etc. hope this helps.