Temporaryily Shrinkwrap Car Good Or Bad Other Opitions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Temporaryily Shrinkwrap Car Good Or Bad Other Opitions

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
11-23-2007, 08:56 PM
The Car Cover I Ordered Not Good Enough Fit Because Of Rear Spoiler .

And A Seller Who Reguardless Of What I Thought I Needed The 22" Inch Size He Would Only Send Me The 200" Because He Said 228" Would Be Too Big.

May Take Time To Get A Larger One Up To Me In Canada. Car Will Be In Heated Storage 2nd Floor Of 3 Floor Under Ground Parking . Alot Of Concrete Dust Lays On Cars.

So Mean While Would I Be Okay To Shrink Warp My Car Down To The Rocker Panels Leaving Air To Move Under Car Etc.

I Would Hope It Would Be Only For A Month , But Maybe More .

Will It Hurt Paint Or Plastic Lences On Headlights And Taillights Etc.

Car Will Be Claen And I Will Dust It Off After I Park It .

I Did Wax The Car Quite A Bit This Years But Last Month Or More We Have Had Alot Of Rain, Make A Difference ??

2nd Opition Would Be To Lay Clear Plastic Sheet Over It The Same Kind Used As Vapor Barrier On Houses Etc. What I Have Is Long Enough ,just Not Sure Yet If Is Wide Enough .

And How I Would Keep It On The Car , Even Though There Is No Blow Wind To Knock It Off .

I Have Seen Cars In There With Light Clear Plastic Sheets Over Them, Light Like Shrink Wrap Plastic Just Not Dead Tight .

Ajaxus
11-23-2007, 09:15 PM
wow, never seen anything like this in my life..not even sure where to start...

PhantomLover007
11-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Would that be something like one of those clear plastic table cloths?

2002GT
11-23-2007, 09:49 PM
It's a focking Grand Am. Plastic shrink warp? Wow.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
11-23-2007, 09:55 PM
i know i know sorry about caps , got so far in before i noticed so please don't go therethanks.....

I DON'T THINK THE TABLE CLOTH PROTECTOR SHEETS ARE THICK . YOU KNOW WHEN YOU PICKUP YOU CLOTHES AT A DRY CLEANERS . THEY THROW OVER THE ITEMS THAT LIGHT FLIMSY PLASTIC .

THAT IS VERY SIMILAR TO WHAT I HAVE SEEN OVER A FEW CARS IN MY STORAGE AREA.
NOW MY SHRINK WRAP WILL BE VERY CLOSE TO SAME THICKNESS AS THAT MAYBE SMIG THICKER . BUT IF I PUT IT ON THE CAR IT WILL BE TIGHT FIT.

PHANTOMLOVER007 , THAT CAR COVER YOU MENTION I GOT IS A VERY GOOD COVER ATLEAST FOR INSIDE, ASPECIALLY WITH THE ZIPPER DOOR ,.BUT BECAUSE IT IS WATER REPELLENT NOT WATERPROOF, I WOULD THICK NOT GREAT FOR OUTSIDE.

but THE PROBLEM WAS AS YOU READ I NEEDED THE LARGER SIZE WHICH HE SAID HE WOULD NOT SHIP TO ME EVEN IF I ORDERED / WON IT ON EBAY.

I AM TRYING TO GET HIM TO LET ME USE HIS EXCHANGE NOT HIS REFUND POLICY SO I CAN GET THE LARGER SIZE. BUT BEFORE I ASKED FOR AND EXCHANGE HE POLITELY TOLD ME TO SHOP ESLE WHERE.

HE IS UPSET BECAUSE I REQUEST/SUGGESTED POLITELY HOW TO SOLVE THRE PROBLEM QUICKER AND EASIER BY SHIPPING TO ME DIRECT 6-10 DAYS VERSUS 22 DAYS. UPSET THAT I ASKED QUESTIONS IN LATER OCTOBER AND THEN WENT AND BOUGHT WON BEGINNING OF NOV.

I AM SUPOSE TO ASK QUESTIONS, I WANTED TO BE CERTIAN I GOT THE BEST / RIGHT COVER SIZE .UPSET THAT I WAS NOT TOTALLY CONFEDENT ABOUT HIM SUGGESTING THE 200" OVER THE 228. TURNS OUT I WAS RIGHT I NEEDED THE 228. HE'S UP SET.

SO I AWAIT HIS REPLY TO MY LAST EXCHANGE REQUEST. I MAY HAVE TO GET A USA PERSON TO BUY THE CORRECT SIZE COVER AND SHIP IT TOO ME . I WOULD PAY FOR EVERYTHING.

notsoaveragej0e
11-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Yours are my favorite threads/posts, FTR.

Just buy a cover at autozone made for a larger car and throw it on there and call it a day.

Ajaxus
11-23-2007, 11:25 PM
I've got a headache and I don't think it's the hot mud in my coffee mug..

PhantomLover007
11-23-2007, 11:34 PM
I've got a headache and I don't think it's the hot mud in my coffee mug..

Uhhh. A.J., you might want to delete that post. Tony might come and reword it to say something else like I thought about.. Change the mud (drop the "d", add a "c" and scramble it.. lol

Ajaxus
11-24-2007, 01:19 AM
Not everybody is as f*cked up as you are. ;crap

stillriza
11-24-2007, 01:27 AM
Uhhh. A.J., you might want to delete that post. Tony might come and reword it to say something else like I thought about.. Change the mud (drop the "d", add a "c" and scramble it.. lol

HAHA LOL.. scarmble the letters.. LOL

back on topic...forget shrink wrap..it wont hold out during the winter.. use zip lock bags.

PhantomLover007
11-24-2007, 12:46 PM
As fas as the shrink wrap, what about the plastic that they use to wrap stacks of boxes on pallets. Would that be what you are kind of referring to?

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
11-24-2007, 04:02 PM
PHATOMLOVER007 YOU ARE ABOUT THE ONLY ONE THAT ADDS TO constructive info. even when i asked them not to go at mne because of the caps. they just could not resist. talked about boardum...

we have no pep boys or auto zone etc just cdn tire . yes i remembered what the body shops use the clear plastic light weight like what they put over your seats.

so temporary dust protection for inside ,problem solved now i have to get better fit / size cover although not an exact fit . one waterproof / wind hardy for outside and the inside just good concrete dust proof etc.

Sleepwalkr
11-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Off-Topic:

Somebody has got to correct the spelling in the thread title to read Temporarily. Please...... It drives me nuts everytime I see it.

Thanks, you may continue. :)

Irate
11-24-2007, 04:51 PM
I would check the Ferarri forums and see what they do for their cars.

notsoaveragej0e
11-24-2007, 07:13 PM
As fas as the shrink wrap, what about the plastic that they use to wrap stacks of boxes on pallets. Would that be what you are kind of referring to?

We used to do that to peoples cars in high school. We'd sneak out at study hall and wrap their whole car in ceran wrap so they couldn't open the doors or anything without spending at least 45 min taking all the crap off. Those were the dayyyyyyyslol

PhantomLover007
11-25-2007, 02:21 PM
We used to do that to peoples cars in high school. We'd sneak out at study hall and wrap their whole car in ceran wrap so they couldn't open the doors or anything without spending at least 45 min taking all the crap off. Those were the dayyyyyyyslol

Sounds like some of the crazy sh*t we used to do when I was in a combat unit. Duct taping folks to their cots when they're sleeping and carrying them off somewhere, calling in a helo to carry some colonel's HMMWV off while they are in a meeting, stuff like that. Keeps morale up ya know. lol

I wonder if I can get some of the folks I work w/ now to do crazy sh*t like that again. You're right though, those were the days..

notsoaveragej0e
11-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Sounds like some of the crazy sh*t we used to do when I was in a combat unit. Duct taping folks to their cots when they're sleeping and carrying them off somewhere, calling in a helo to carry some colonel's HMMWV off while they are in a meeting, stuff like that. Keeps morale up ya know. lol

I wonder if I can get some of the folks I work w/ now to do crazy sh*t like that again. You're right though, those were the days..

heh, nice to see my tax dollars at work... :angel

PhantomLover007
11-25-2007, 02:39 PM

It's alot cheaper than the fun Bush is having us play.. lol

Ajaxus
11-25-2007, 03:22 PM

x2 and in all seriousness. Pranks at all levels are worthwhile. :applause:

Tonyyank
11-25-2007, 03:47 PM
I would check the Ferarri forums and see what they do for their cars.

Itailian junk...........

I cant find one for my 87 Probe either.....I thinking about getting the shrink wrap that the boats get around here.

wtselig07
11-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Just go with a plastic like painters floor cover from your local home depot or wal mart. Tie it off at the bottom with rope or something or tape it to the tires even. It'll be indoors it won't go anywhere.

notsoaveragej0e
11-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Question: In another thread on here you said you have been storing cars for over 15 years; why ask our advice on this matter if you have been doing it for so long? Just wondering.

geldartb
11-28-2007, 02:05 PM
no **** mines sitting in a garage inside with a car cover. i washed it before hand. but seriously if its inside a car cover will be fine.
you shrinkwrap cars like a 70 chevelle ss not cars like this. i mean i like my car but its not getting shronk wrapped.
i figure sitting inside with a car cover is 85 times better than sitting outside.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
11-30-2007, 08:05 PM
I ASKED ADVICE BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER HAD TO PROTECT IT AGAINEST CONCRETE DUST THIS MUCH Heavy hard to clean off dust.

i have never used or really needed a cover before. i decided to go with this deluxe poly pro III full sixe car cover. 201-230" L x 75"W x 46"H. nice feature zip door . believe it or not still does not cover about six inch of the lower body along the sides. sucks .

next step would have been to go to a suv style cover. this cover is for my inside storage... now for outside it will be even tuffer to find a cove that covers more of the car and is WATERPROOF not justwater resistant. so far the one waterproof cover i found on ebay , turns out buyers say it is not waterproof. and the XL suv lkiely will cover more 200"L x 76W x 61H.

cardude007617
11-30-2007, 08:10 PM
um...... give it a wash...... that'll take the dust off. its a grand am........ not a ferrari your are trying to cover here. or put it outside until the dust is gone from someone working i take it

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
11-30-2007, 08:27 PM
i know it only a grand am as some of you put it . but i take care of it and customize it . underground parking old building lots of concrete dust. takes several washes bushless then a final hand wash to remove this concrete dust and this stuff is like sand paper to a car.

Tonyyank
11-30-2007, 08:30 PM
dont park it in a construction site, and there shouldn't be a lot of dust :thumbs:

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
12-04-2007, 05:42 AM
car does not get parked in construction areas. thanks

turns out the best cover i found to cover ga's with the A*D rear spoiler on them is . a deluxe poly pro III , for a full size car >201" to 230"... still does not cover car 100% but 98%. goes down to bottom of doors , but not cover the last few inches of lower sides of rocker panel and about 6-8" of the side of lower rear bumper. nice feature no one esle seems to have is the zipper door opening.

need photo's from me ask. telliott@accesswave.ca you can get them cheapest at walmart's cdn or usa . cdn price $54.95 plus tax. usa less. i don't think it would be a great cover for snowy or raiiny outside storage , water resistant not waterproof. still searching on best waterproof covers.

Panacea
12-05-2007, 10:18 AM
I ASKED ADVICE BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER HAD TO PROTECT IT AGAINEST CONCRETE DUST THIS MUCH Heavy hard to clean off dust.

i have never used or really needed a cover before. i decided to go with this deluxe poly pro III full sixe car cover. 201-230" L x 75"W x 46"H. nice feature zip door . believe it or not still does not cover about six inch of the lower body along the sides. sucks .

next step would have been to go to a suv style cover. this cover is for my inside storage... now for outside it will be even tuffer to find a cove that covers more of the car and is WATERPROOF not justwater resistant. so far the one waterproof cover i found on ebay , turns out buyers say it is not waterproof. and the XL suv lkiely will cover more 200"L x 76W x 61H.

A reason car covers are water resistant and not water proof is because the cars paint needs to breath. If you have a water proof car cover, your paint can't breathe properly.

cooter55
12-05-2007, 10:27 AM
now i have a quick question for you did you get a really good paint job on your car? just wondering because you are going threw alot of trouble to find a cover for it if it is just a stock paint job

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
12-05-2007, 10:44 AM
no factory paint job .. i know it just a grand am . i have heard that a few times already etc etc etc. well for outside it would be nice to not have to clean my car as much as i todate feel i need or want to to keep it clean.

so when i know there is a bad day coming, i can just dust the car off . put a cover over it . then next good day pop cover off and not need to clean car.

save expensive car soaps , time have to wax so much etc etc . al the places i found that state more then a few times they have waterproof or 100% waterproof covers yet they still breath. i know i wounder how that workss too.

cooter55
12-05-2007, 10:56 AM
i was just asking. i mean i like to take care of my cars to keep them clean and all. you could go to a canvase shop and get one custom made for you

Reverend
12-05-2007, 06:38 PM
I doubt if you will find a real waterproof car cover. As 'waterproof' will go both ways. You want to keep the water out only. Waterproof will keep water out plus keep moisture in. You don't want a spot on the cover to get damp and then lay against the paint for any period of time. Not good on the paint.
Also the shrink wrap plastic you asked about- it would be the same way, it would trap any moisture and hold it against the surface. Also the wrap would have to be put in place where you are parking the car, so you would get dust particles trapped between the plastic and the paint. Another situation that I think you want to avoid.