Head Gasket Change [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket Change

stanleymiller2
11-26-2007, 12:42 PM
2001 Grand Am GT 3.4-liter v6

125k miles

The head gasket (closest to firewall) blew on my way to work a couple weeks ago. No rod knock in the bottom end. I shut it down at 250-260.

I was on vacation Thanksgiving week so I tore the engine down and changed both head gaskets. Unfortunately, I took a chance and put everything back together without having the heads re-machined. I did check them with a straight edge and they did appear true.

The car starts and runs fine but it keeps puking coolant out of the overflow. I changed the water pump and thermostat when I did the tear down.

Do you guys think the head is warped or cracked?

Maybe the radiator is plugged?

The heat keeps coming and going as I drive it, but no water seem to be leaking inside the car.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

XtremeGaGt00
11-26-2007, 04:55 PM
id just try bleeding the he!! outa the coolant system with the bleeder screw ontop the waterpump

stanleymiller2
11-28-2007, 07:36 AM
thank you -

/Bump

angrysk8r
11-28-2007, 11:33 AM
mine did the same thing for a while after i changed mine, after i bled the coolant system for a while (twice actually) it stopped

timka86
11-28-2007, 12:58 PM
yep, had the same thing. it's just air heating up, expanding, once it all gets out you'll be fine, just the level for a little while.

stanleymiller2
11-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Bled the heck out of the cooling system today. Temp stays constant between 200-240. Radiator makes a preasure noise like its buckling after I drove it a little while. Its kind of hard to describe. Anyways at that point the car wasnt puking out of the overflow but it wouldnt accept an coolant when I tried to bleed the system some more. Could the radiator be bad or do you guys think I am going to have to tear the top half of the engine down again? God this sucks....