Car no Start need some help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car no Start need some help

pontgt01
12-03-2007, 07:59 PM
So a few weeks ago my 2001 grand am gt 3.4 decided to stop working. after a while i found out that my BCM (Body Control Module) got wet and shorted out. so i bought a brand new BCM cost me $200 put a dent in my wallet but i got it installed it and nothing the car didn't run. then after looking through here for possible idea's i came across the ignition cylinder possiby going bad that the cylinder would not read the key. so i bought a brand new cylinder installed it today and nothing happened the car would crank and crank and the car finally starts but only to die out 3 seconds later. i checked everything fuses relays i get fuel and i hear the fuel pump working. the car has less than 50,000 miles on it. i replaced the cylinder cause the security light would stay on and not shut off. i did the 10 min thing took out the key waited 5 seconds and tried to start the car and got nothing. after installing the new cylinder the security light would flash and after 10 mins i pulled out the key waited 5 seconds and tried to start the car again and still nothing the car did the same thing car would start then die after 3 seconds. this is where i'm lost now the car has been sitting for 2 weeks and everything i've tried has failed i need help any advice would really help. thanks in advance.

Shadowfaxgt1
12-06-2007, 06:34 PM
I had the same problem....after hours of diagnostics using a haynes manual (no codes) I had to tow it to the dealer. Apparently there is a security module and wiring that went bad.

I didn't really care to ask questions since I was trading it in on a Cobalt SS/SC.

homeskillit37
12-06-2007, 08:10 PM
I Had the same starting problems. The dealer replaced the key cylinder. two days later acting up again. they replaced the BCM. worked for about 6 months. the started acting up again up. They ended up replacing the BCM 4 times before they figured out it was a bad wire going to the BCM causing it to throw a code saying it had lost communication. I Don't know if the BCM would need any type of dealer programming or not to work properly in your car. Thats my experience with The BCM. I actually still have one sitting here most likely still good.

WeibSunder
12-06-2007, 08:25 PM
This is a common problem, I didn't write this up, but if you do this, I'm not responsible if anything was to go wrong. Here you go.

(1.) If you want the fastest way to disable the Passlock---You just need to be able to start your car one time. Start it--leave it running--put car in neutral-- remove your radio, but do not unplug it.(Let it hang)Reach inside to the left and locate 3 tiny 22 gauge wires wrapped in black friction tape.(Yellow, Black, and White Passlock Wires)These are with the Ignition switch harness. Cut the (Yellow Passlock) Data Wire (while the engine is running). Security light will come on and stay on forever--- this tells you that Passlock is disabled.(PCM is in fail enable mode)Tape up both ends of the Yellow wire. Your car will crank from now on with no worries. I would suggest that you add a toggle switch, though. Disable Passlock --- it's not necessary to add a remote starter. Do a google search for "Passlock I or II Disablement" to see the written document for adding the toggle switch.

(2.) The quick simple fix is just to cut the yellow wire and tape up both ends. I took a screwdriver to pop the cover from around the stereo and took out 4 screws. Then, pulled out the stereo. The 3 wires from the ignition are right there on the left. Start the car and cut the yellow wire. That's it. You won't have to replace the ignition lock cylinder until it falls apart. I don't have to worry about my wife and kids being stuck somewhere. I certainly didn't mean for it to come across as being complicated at all. Enevitably, someone will ask why this works.

ifishwalleye
12-10-2007, 11:19 AM
what type switch to get and where should i get it?
how do you mount the switch or just let it hang there?
thanks

Ajaxus
12-10-2007, 11:25 AM
what type switch to get and where should i get it?
how do you mount the switch or just let it hang there?
thanks

This is a common problem, I didn't write this up, but if you do this, I'm not responsible if anything was to go wrong. Here you go.

btw, you can get a toggle switch at any auto parts store..it isn't exactly a rare item. you could dremel a hole in the dash to mount it as well..or let it hang.

pontgt01
12-13-2007, 05:44 PM
i found out that the main crank sensor went bad and the ignition modul went bad from trying to start it so many times. the mechanic tells me that the spark plugs are "fouled up" and need to be replaced. but now my ABS, traction control, and Service Vehicle Soon light are on. any ideas why?

torq455
12-13-2007, 09:37 PM
that's great to be able to disable the passlock!! have to try that and see if my car will still have the hard start problem. if it does that autostart it won't start, but if i hold the key to start, it cranks longer but does start.