frozen doors ...frozen car [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : frozen doors ...frozen car

ramairgt19
12-06-2007, 07:13 AM
maybe i not posting in the right area but i have a issue with my grand am....whenever it snows or some what freezing rain my car doors get stuck like i havn't got into my car for a week ...afraid to do damage if i force the doors open..also windows are frozen called roll them down either like i wanne pour hot water but then i don't....was also thinking of a car cover think that will help out any advice please thanks guys

Ajaxus
12-06-2007, 07:36 AM
for the doors..you "may" damage the handle forcing it..i usually try to get it open a crack than grab the door in the corner or side and pull from there so i don't do any damage to the handle. that's just how i do it.

for the windows, clear EVERY bit of ice off of them, especially on the bottom edge. don't try to force them open with the switch..i imagine that's what burned up my regulator so quickly.

lone_wolf025
12-06-2007, 07:46 AM
A major ice storm you can't prevent covering the whole car, but next chance you get, wipe down all the door weather seals with a clean rag to get the heavy dirt off. Then apply a silicone based spray or lube (spray works best) to all the seals. That will prevent water from freezing the door to the seals. However it won't prevent ice from covering the gap between door and handle.

Bryan
12-06-2007, 07:49 AM
x2 on what AJ said and make sure the window molding isn't frozen to the window.

ramairgt19
12-06-2007, 08:07 AM
thanks guys i am going to get that lube spray for sure

Exodus
12-06-2007, 08:09 AM
I used to check my door by the seem so I wouldn't dent the door. Worked pretty well and didnt dent the door if done correctly.

Jake
12-06-2007, 02:54 PM
This is why I moved back to California lollol

cooter55
12-06-2007, 03:04 PM
i def would use water unless you want your windows broken. but then agin i don't know anything about frozen stuff i live in arizona :boogie:

SSRacer
12-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Thank god for garages...not that we get much of that kind of weather anyway.

Reverend
12-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Use a silicone based lube for all the weatherstripping. Also the edges of the glass that goes into the seals. Do not use WD40 for this. A good coat of RainX on the glass will also keep them from freezing to the rubber seals.
Get a strip of rubber magnet and attach it to a piece of tire innertube to cover the door handles and locks when an ice storm is predicted. The rubber magnet will help prevent paint damage.

williamGT
12-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Use a silicone based lube for all the weatherstripping. Also the edges of the glass that goes into the seals. Do not use WD40 for this. A good coat of RainX on the glass will also keep them from freezing to the rubber seals.
Get a strip of rubber magnet and attach it to a piece of tire innertube to cover the door handles and locks when an ice storm is predicted. The rubber magnet will help prevent paint damage.
3 times a year I use the silicone lube

ZOMGVTEK
12-08-2007, 08:06 PM

Bouchie11982
12-09-2007, 07:40 AM
ugh i had this problem last monday. ice storm, i unfortunately had to go to class and my doors were froze shut. i chipped the ice along the doors, trying not to chip the B pillars and along the door frame.but i had to really pull on the handle since i had no hot water to poor over

Y2KGA
12-09-2007, 03:36 PM
If you live in a safe area, you can leave the door half closed so that the door can't freeze to the frame.

If the car is frozen shut you can open the trunk push down the rear seats and reach the ignition to start the car. Turn the heat up high and come back in 20 minutes. Its not fun but it works every time.

daxx
12-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Something else to think about (at least on GT's)... ice can build up between the bottom corner of the front doors and the side skirt, by the wheelwell. If you try to open the door it will bend the rear edge of the fender back so the door won't open more than a few inches. I did this one time to both front doors, so had to get in through the back for a while until I could get to a body shop to pull the edge of the fenders back out.

Keeping a can of windshield de-icer will help break down the ice (but it will strip off any wax) and the can's lose effectiveness if kept in a cold trunk. I have a cheap knock-off "Leatherman" type of tool with a blunt knife blade I keep in the trunk for possible ice chipping purposes.

Bouchie11982
12-09-2007, 04:47 PM
If you live in a safe area, you can leave the door half closed so that the door can't freeze to the frame.

If the car is frozen shut you can open the trunk push down the rear seats and reach the ignition to start the car. Turn the heat up high and come back in 20 minutes. Its not fun but it works every time.
if the doors are frozen shut, i can guarantee the trunk will be shut as well. it happened to me this past monday.