Where are the blend doors? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Where are the blend doors?

bryanska
12-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Has anyone examined/fixed their blend doors?

I have colder air on the passenger side, but the driver's side blows good heat. From searching all around the Net, this is a classic symptom of a stuck blend door.

Does anyone know where these are located?

By removing the glove box, I can see the actuator that directs heat between the defrost/floor/face vents.

But I can't see any others that might send the heat left or right.

Thoughts?

nate2023
12-11-2007, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't think our cars have a different setting for drivers and passanger heating/cooling so there might not be one, although i could be wrong. could there be a hole or seperation in one of the pipes maybe drawing in cold air.

AaronGTR
12-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Yeah, we don't have dual zone climate control. The only air diverter in the HVAC system sends the air to the floor, the dash, or both.

bryanska
12-11-2007, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't think our cars have a different setting for drivers and passanger heating/cooling so there might not be one, although i could be wrong. could there be a hole or seperation in one of the pipes maybe drawing in cold air.

Good point.

Here's what's up:

The driver's side vents all blow hot. The passenger foot vent blows hot.

But the passenger center dash vent blows cooler than the driver's center dash vent. And the far right dash vent blows outright cold (but not frigid).

Any thoughts?

This is an Alero, but I can't imagine they are too different. I know the GA has three center dash vents and that might be different, but I assume the far right dash vent has to be ducted the same as the Alero.

nate2023
12-11-2007, 07:25 PM
There might be seperate ducts for both sides and one might be loose or seperated, not sure how the aleros are but maybe somthing to check.

Malaclypse
12-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Check your coolant level. Is it low?

Even if it looks low, try addig some and check again in a few days.

My thought is that your heater core isn't completely full because there's a big pocket of air in your cooling system caused by a coolant leak. There's only one temperature control door and if the driver's side is blowing hot, the passenger side should be as well.

Check for leaking intake gaskets etc etc.

Reverend
12-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Check the heater/fan cover box under the hood. I had a similar problem with mine and found a large area broken out of the plastic cover letting cold air into the system. A little duct tape over the break and now even temps both sides.

bryanska
12-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Check your coolant level. Is it low?

Even if it looks low, try addig some and check again in a few days.

My thought is that your heater core isn't completely full because there's a big pocket of air in your cooling system caused by a coolant leak. There's only one temperature control door and if the driver's side is blowing hot, the passenger side should be as well.

Check for leaking intake gaskets etc etc.

Just replaced the thermostat and did some bleeding. Coolant level has stayed A-OK but I will continue to monitor it. Thanks!

bryanska
12-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Check the heater/fan cover box under the hood. I had a similar problem with mine and found a large area broken out of the plastic cover letting cold air into the system. A little duct tape over the break and now even temps both sides.

That's actually a seperate issue I've been dealing with also.

There is a huge, unrelated draft under my glovebox. Whan I took it off, I felt a large volume of air blowing in next to the heater fan. I tried to track it down, but couldn't get my hand in the hole.

I will stuff that thing with a small rag to try and seal it.

The passenger vent seems to get better after I turn the knob from cold to hot a few times. It still doesn't get as hot as the center vents.

I think this may be related to the temperature actuator door. If I could get at it, I could see. However, the temperature actuator is BURIED in the dash above the driver's right knee. I would need to do some serious disassembly. If I attempt it, I will post pics.

Thanks for all the help!