Heater Control Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Heater Control Question

Love my GT
12-13-2007, 12:16 PM
In the past week my car's heater has suddenly started blowing air out the floor, vents, and windshield all at the same time. It doesn't matter what setting I have the dial on. I am pretty sure that it is controlled by vacuum, but have no idea where to look the for the problem. Any help would be very much appreciated as it takes for defroster forever to melt anything off my windshield since only a prtion of the air is going their.
Thanks.

Love my GT
12-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Come on someone has had to of had this problem before and can help me. Please

Sprucegagt
12-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Don't know what to tell ya. I've never had that problem before. But you can try looking at the door modulator while cycling the switch to see if it's trying to open or if you have a vaccum leak.

Last post has a discription of the location of the door modulator \/
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64008&highlight=heater+door

bryanska
12-14-2007, 05:12 PM
In the past week my car's heater has suddenly started blowing air out the floor, vents, and windshield all at the same time. It doesn't matter what setting I have the dial on. I am pretty sure that it is controlled by vacuum, but have no idea where to look the for the problem. Any help would be very much appreciated as it takes for defroster forever to melt anything off my windshield since only a prtion of the air is going their.
Thanks.

The actuator for the vent selection defaults to defrost with a loss of vacuum.

So either your actuator is REALLY broke in a groundbreaking way, or something is bypassing that thing entirely.

The vent selection actuator is just to the right of the stereo, inside the dash. Take out the glove box (not too hard) to get at it. Look for broken lines, a cracked unit, etc.

Let me know if you have trouble finding it. It's a disc-shaped black plastic box about 3" in diameter, with a small brightly colored plastic pipe leading into it. The pipe is attached to the actuator by a clear plastic fitting.

Turning the HVAC vent selector knob back and forth will cause a metal arm to extend and retract from the actuator unit.

XtremeGaGt00
12-14-2007, 05:58 PM
i had this problem, i was fortunate enough to find a bad vacuum source to the control block from the engine...fixed...and whaaala...

Love my GT
12-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the help. I hopefully can get a look at this tomorrow, but they are calling for a storm tonight. Another quick question? I had my car at a body shop for some painting after being vandalized would anything they did effect this. Hoping maybe then they will have to locate the problem and repair it.