Steering Wheel Column Broke.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Column Broke....

runasoft
12-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Hey Guys,
I need your help in diagnosing a problem I have or I caused really...

In an attempt to reduce some stress in a heated argument with the wife, I punched the steering wheel about 6 times pretty hard... I know, childish and dumb but the way I look at it, better the car than the wife... hehe

Anyhow, right after this, i noticed that the steering wheel now moves around all over the place.. I think i broke something...

I took the steering column shroud off and took a look.. The steering wheel is definitely detached or something.. The horn will go off when I turn and a few little ball bearings fell out when i took the shroud off...

I'm pretty sure I need to get a new wheel with steering column but I don't know... I don't think replacing it will be too hard but what have been your experiences...

What do you guys think? What were the ball bearings? The steering wheel just pushes back and forth now and can be wiggled from side to side and up and down quite easily and quite liberally..

Here is the video of the steering wheel http://www.runasoft.biz/Grand Am Steering Wheel.wmv

- Rudy

SSRacer
12-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Not sure what all needs to be replcaed, but I'd fix it before driving it at all.

runasoft
12-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Not sure what all needs to be replcaed, but I'd fix it before driving it at all.

well i disconnected the horn relay because it was getting stuck.. car seems to be driving fine and the wheel turns without issue... i think i broke the spindle that contains the ball bearings which the steering wheel turns on.. doesn't feel any different other than the play in the steering wheel..

i don't know... i'm going to pull the steering wheel off and see whats up with it.. now to get a steering wheel puller..

Anybody else have any suggestions??

- Rudy

williamGT
12-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Watch out maybe the car will punch you back (air bag)

Reverend
12-15-2007, 06:34 PM
IS the steering wheel closer to the dash than normal? Sounds like you might have collapsed the steering column. I don't know how the collapsing part of these columns work but some cars have ball bearings that pop out so the column can collapse in an accident.

runasoft
12-16-2007, 09:47 AM
IS the steering wheel closer to the dash than normal? Sounds like you might have collapsed the steering column. I don't know how the collapsing part of these columns work but some cars have ball bearings that pop out so the column can collapse in an accident.

First, I didn't punch the steering wheel that hard.. I don't understand how it would collapse...

Second,
I can't tell if the steering wheel is any closer to the dash. It looks the same to me... All I know is that the steering wheel isn't fully sitting on the column.. It's like the steering wheel deatched a little from the column.. it just slides around.. it still drives fine because I took it around the block and it doesn't slip or anything when you actually turn the wheel..

i just bought a complete steering wheel with column off of ebay so i'll take a look at that when i get it and see what i need to replace...

I'll take some video of the steering wheel and post it up in a few..

- Rudy

runasoft
12-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Here is the video of the steering wheel http://www.runasoft.biz/Grand Am Steering Wheel.wmv

- Rudy

williamGT
12-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Only way you can see if it really damage is take out the air bag.....But you have to disconnect your battery if you do so, to me it looks like you need a new steering wheel.

runasoft
12-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Only way you can see if it really damage is take out the air bag.....But you have to disconnect your battery if you do so, to me it looks like you need a new steering wheel.

yea, right now the airbags are disabled via the yellow plugs at the top of both fuse panels.. been unplugged since yesterday and the airbag light is on so i know they have no charge..

when i get the new steering column and steering wheel in which should be late next week i'll take a look at what needs to be done.. i think i just broke the steering wheel and thats it.. if it's the whole column then i'll have that here to replace it... luckily i'm of for 2 weeks from work starting next weekend :) hehe

runasoft
12-18-2007, 03:45 PM
A little update on my situation. I got confirmation yesterday that my new steering wheel and column will be here on Friday... woo hoo!

anyways, I looked a little more into my problem with how to remove the steering wheel and what to expect.. During my research, think I found out what I broke that had the ball bearings..

I think i broke the ClockSpring.... I saw a picture of 1 and looks similar to a black round piece that is broken behind the steering wheel.. You can see it in the video.. That's the only thing I can think of that would have ball bearings since it does rotate... lol

I'll let you guys know and take plenty of pics when I do the swap..

- Rudy