lowering springs [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : lowering springs

1hotgagt
12-26-2007, 05:27 PM
i just got the kyb gr2 struts for my car. now i am looking for the mounting kits anyone know were to find them rather decently priced. also im throwing around the idea to throw lowering springs in while im doing the struts but i am unsure if its going to give me a crappy hard ride. so if anyone has used the eibach lowering springs let me know what you think thanks.

ryanbgb22
12-26-2007, 05:35 PM
eibach's are close to stock. By mounting kits do you mean the upper mount?

Deggy Fresh
12-26-2007, 05:41 PM
eibachs are close to stock in what sense?

SSRacer
12-26-2007, 06:02 PM
You shouldn't need any new hardware to replace your struts and springs, except the new struts and springs. You can get new top boots for the struts if yours are worn out, but I just reused mine when I replaced my struts.

ryanbgb22
12-26-2007, 06:09 PM
eibachs are close to stock in what sense?

stiffness/ ride quality.

Deggy Fresh
12-26-2007, 07:39 PM
i got Eibach Pro-kit on stock struts since 80,xxx and they have 150,xxx on them now...still no strut problems, but trust me, i do not recommend this.

AJules8
12-26-2007, 08:44 PM
i got Eibach Pro-kit on stock struts since 80,xxx and they have 150,xxx on them now...still no strut problems, but trust me, i do not recommend this.

why not?

Deggy Fresh
12-27-2007, 12:09 AM
im just saying, if you do the same and you blow out a strut, dont come saying deggy did it...lol

AaronGTR
12-27-2007, 09:01 AM
Eibachs are the best lowering springs for the grand am hands down. They are definitely stiffer and lower than stock and give you more control and better looks, but they still give a comfortable ride. They are the least aggressive drop springs out there, so they are not overly stiff, they leave enough suspension stroke so you aren't bottoming out and hitting the bump stops all the time, and they don't mess up your alignment as much. The camber change is small enough that an alignment shop can bring it back within stock specs without using camber bolts (which are not good to use).

They aren't as good to use with stock struts, but since you already have the KYB GR2's those work well together. That's the same combination I've been using for over 2 years. Not sure what you mean by mounting kits though. Most of the parts from the stock struts can be swapped over, just check them for wear. The bump stops and plastic boots should be fine. Check the rubber spring insulator on the lower perch for any rips or holes. Check the upper and lower plates of the upper strut mount for signs of wear. If you have a lot of miles on them or they look worn you might want to replace them. Go with OEM GM mounts, they are the best, and make sure to use silicone grease on the contact point between the two plates. The strut rotates there when you turn the steering wheel, and if you don't grease it they will wear out. ;) Good luck!

iceman
12-27-2007, 09:03 AM
There is a suspension section of this forum, where a more appopriately titled thread should be placed.