Hard Start/ Rough Idle when warm? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hard Start/ Rough Idle when warm?

Azazel
12-27-2007, 03:53 AM
Hey all, ive been having this problem for a while now. (SES light is on) Ill go to bed, wake up start the car up and it starts fine. Drive somewhere, shut the car off, spend 10-1hr in wherever I am and then the car rough starts and idles all over the place/ revs up and down sometimes dieing. I can put it into drive or reverse and the car runs perfect. Its ONLY at idle. Midas thought it was the fuel system when they hooked up their scanner to it so they "cleaned" the injectors or something. Helped for about..... 4 hours. I have the DHP tuner and it says the SES Light is "Fuel System To Rich" but i have never messed with the fuel system specs. Im not thinking fuel pump cause if it is really to rich then thats not it. Im just confused and dont want to pay for someone to try and try and try but never fix it. I can do it all myself but its winter right now in Alaska (where i am) and i have no heated space to work on it.

Sprucegagt
12-27-2007, 07:26 AM
What trouble codes do you have?

Azazel
12-27-2007, 11:10 AM

Ill have to hook it back up and check. Ill do that tonight after work and get back to you.

stewartfn18
12-27-2007, 08:41 PM
im sorta havin this same problem too. except mne wont die. What happens is that ill turn the car on and it will idle rough, then i will give it a little gas and it will be fine. i just replaced the tps thinking it was bad because when i first got my tb, i put the plate in backwards. No dice. Could it be the IAC sensor? BTW, no SES light, no codes whatsoever.

Azazel
02-03-2008, 03:45 AM

Alright, i hope you are still looking at this thread. I was out of country for a while. Anyways I'm back now and i scanned the car, I get DTCID 172 Fuel System Trim To Rich and 300 Engine Missfire Detected. Now this was odd because last time I checked for codes it was only giving me the 172, so the 300 is new from last time which is weird because Midas said an injector was clogged and was giving a false misfire code but at the time my reader didn't show it. So I thought it was because I played around with the programmer. Do I need to perform the Crankcase relearn to make sure everything is reading right?
Also, i live in Alaska and it has been...... very cold for the last week or so and its complete hell to start. I plug it in at home but at work I can't. And the problem seems to happen more often, on top of the fact that my exhaust now smells strongly of sulfur (like after setting off fireworks) think my CAT is out too?

A mechanic i know told me it could be a lot of things but to start with fuel delivery, filters, injectors and whatnot and vac leaks.

I)ark-ChiLD
02-03-2008, 09:30 AM
i had the exact problem you had. check your MAF Sensor.

Azazel
02-03-2008, 03:14 PM
i had the exact problem you had. check your MAF Sensor.

I have, its clean and the airflow tables are reading correctly. I have another MAF sensor i could put on it from a spare 3400 lying around but i dont think its going to cure it.