When has the CHANGE OIL light come on for you [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : When has the CHANGE OIL light come on for you

Mike Jung
12-28-2007, 05:11 PM
For the 1st time in 9.5-years, I have finally seen the CHANGE OIL light come on lol
(I don't drive that much.)

It came on at 7,689 km / 4,777-miles at 7-months old
I'm surprised it came on at that mileage.
The oil visually looked ok; but I had the oil changed anyways.
No, I am not doing an UOA with the old oil.
I thought it (the oil change monitor) would of lasted longer (with my highway road trip to Chicago, IL area this past July).
But I do drive in rush hour traffic every work day into/out of the city.

I am currently doing oil change intervals of 1-year (or maximum of 12.5k km/ 7.8K miles) or if the change oil light comes on.

We will see, when the next time the CHANGE OIL light comes on.
I wonder, if I can make it to next Christmas ? lol

I am using in my GA:
Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil (from Germany) with a NAPA Gold 1036 oversized (similar in sizing to an AC Delco PF-52) oil filter.

So at what mileage have you seen your CHANGE OIL light come on ?

PS: Don't forget to check your oil level monthly.
& top it up as needed.

PSS: All bets are off on using the OCI monitor, if your LIM is leaking or if your engine burns oil.

SikMindz
12-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Mine is usually between 3-5K miles. So every 2 months or so.

54mi commute/day, 20 weekdays/month = ~1K mi commute distance
~100mi weekend, 4 weekends/month = ~400 mi distance

Plus added driving on top of that...works out about right.

cardude007617
12-28-2007, 05:19 PM
iv had my car a year (tomorrow) and havent seen it once....... lol no clue if it was reset or not when i had my oil changed

drumking1721
12-28-2007, 05:28 PM
once every 6 months..no joke

cardude007617
12-28-2007, 05:28 PM
my question is: does it even work? haha

Mike Jung
12-28-2007, 05:29 PM
my question is: does it even work? haha
Yes, the oil change monitor does work.

But you got to use a good dino (if not synthetic) motor oil.
API SM / GF-4 spec'd motor dino oils

SSRacer
12-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Mine usually comes on about a month after changing my oil if I forget to reset it lol

I run royal purple 10w30 in mine.

PhantomLover007
12-28-2007, 08:58 PM
You have to change the oil???????

lol. j/k!

The first week I had the car.

stillriza
12-28-2007, 10:34 PM
I have only had it come on 2x since i purchased the car last January.

I don't have a specific oil I use... also a couple times alternated b/w synth and dino..no problems.

ot/ do you guys ever have days when you feel the ga just runs absolutely amazing? as in better than she has ever ran. Every once in a while i get that..as if a totally diff ga.

SSRacer
12-29-2007, 11:46 AM
^^ Yup, then I also have days where it feels like a turd.

homeskillit37
12-29-2007, 12:25 PM
My light has been on for about a year, I leave it on. It balances out the check engine light on the other side. The check engine light is on for evap codes.

iceman
12-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Wow Mike you don't drive very much at all lol

If I had to guess my light came on after about 3000-4000 miles

Now it won't come on ever again

Ajaxus
12-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Now that I think about it..my light hasn't been on in awhile..I gotta be gettin close again. Personally I'd rather disconnect the damn thing since I switched to synthetic and have no need for the light anymore.

iceman
12-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Actually it's a pretty good gauge when using synthetic.

Ajaxus
12-29-2007, 02:10 PM
I do a change every 8k miles..I could do it 9k but I prefer those early changes a bit more. :)

Mine tends to come on every 3k so it would get kinda confusing if I change every 8k.

Mike Jung
12-29-2007, 05:02 PM
I do a change every 8k miles..I could do it 9k but I prefer those early changes a bit more. :)

Mine tends to come on every 3k so it would get kinda confusing if I change every 8k.
May I strongly suggest that you do UOA (Used Oil Analysis) services with TBN readings, to check on how the oil lasted & to establish a OCI (oil change interval). ?

These are the places the BITOG (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com) people use:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com

http://www.wearcheck.com

& people recommend:
http://www.dysonanalysis.com for his professional opinion on the UOA.
Which Blackstone Lab has a package for him: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/dyson_analysis.html

If you do not do an UOA, you do not know if the oil you used could handle your extended OCI.

If your change oil light is coming on after 3K miles, there must be a reason.
A lot of idling & short trips could cause your oil to prematurely degrade with fuel & water dilution.
Yes, synthetic motor oil can last longer than dino motor oil; but if you have fuel & water dilution, it still kills the oil prematurely (whether dino or synthetic).

Chevylover54
12-30-2007, 07:51 AM
The light should come on at different times for different people. If I'm not mistaken it's an algorithm based on average speed and air quality into the engine. With your start and stop city driving it will come on sooner than someone who does most of their driving at interstate speeds.

I drive 45 miles to and from work. All highway or interstate. No stop and go city traffic. Mine comes on at about 6000 miles or about once every 3 months. I change my oil by the light and haven't had a problem with the engine yet at 178,000. Except of course the LIM's.

di$TOrTed
12-30-2007, 10:30 AM
I change mine every 3000 miles and haven't had it come on yet. I use Castrol Syntec Blend 10w30

Mike Jung
12-30-2007, 01:09 PM
The light should come on at different times for different people. If I'm not mistaken it's an algorithm based on average speed and air quality into the engine. With your start and stop city driving it will come on sooner than someone who does most of their driving at interstate speeds.

I drive 45 miles to and from work. All highway or interstate. No stop and go city traffic. Mine comes on at about 6000 miles or about once every 3 months. I change my oil by the light and haven't had a problem with the engine yet at 178,000. Except of course the LIM's.
It does not use speedometer speed or air quality in the equation.
It uses: rpm count, temps of coolant & oil, cold starts, etc...
...The GM engine oil life monitor counts engine revolutions and ac***ulates the number for the basis of the oil life calculation.
It then adds deterioration factors for operating temperature, start up temperature, soak times, ambient, coolant temperature, etc...

lvemy3100
12-30-2007, 01:32 PM
well I have never seen this light come on (I am assuming I have one) I am currently using Castrol Syntec 0w30 two months prior to switching to the 0w30 I was using Royal Purple 5w30 and before that I used Mobil Drive Clean 5w30... I have always used AC-Delco PF-52 oil filters....

I now have a bit over 120,000 miles and bought the car with exactly 88,000 (turned over as I finished the test drive, hehe) I have done my oil changes every 3-5k with a new filter each time...

Mike Jung
12-30-2007, 01:36 PM
well I have never seen this light come on (I am assuming I have one) I am currently using Castrol Syntec 0w30 two months prior to switching to the 0w30 I was using Royal Purple 5w30 and before that I used Mobil Drive Clean 5w30... I have always used AC-Delco PF-52 oil filters....

I now have a bit over 120,000 miles and bought the car with exactly 88,000 (turned over as I finished the test drive, hehe) I have done my oil changes every 3-5k with a new filter each time...
I see you finally found some Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil lol

We have had it (the from Germany version) up here, only since '02...

lvemy3100
12-30-2007, 01:57 PM
yea they finally started to carry it at the local Autozone.. :woot:

awfulwaffle
12-30-2007, 03:57 PM
mine just came on... could be cause of the recent seafoam

Panacea
12-30-2007, 04:09 PM
mine just came on... could be cause of the recent seafoam

Um, no.

awfulwaffle
12-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Um, no.

recent seafoam in oil and no oil change within 500 miles.

Mike Jung
12-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Um, no.
x2 lol

The oil life monitor has no way of knowing what is in your oil.
Or if you did an oil change (unless you reset the system).

lone_wolf025
12-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Mine usually comes on a week or two after I change my oil. I usually forget to reset it when I change it, but I run quaker syn and change it every 3 months. I could probably go longer, but most of my driving is city driving and I beat on the thing pretty hard.

awfulwaffle
12-30-2007, 08:30 PM
i admit defeat

Panacea
12-30-2007, 08:36 PM
i admit defeat

lol it's all good. You do get an A+ for using seafoam though. :thumbs:

notsoaveragej0e
12-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Does the monitor on the GA just go by some predetermined mileage, or does it actually measure viscosity? Most new cars GM makes measure viscosity, but my friends Jeep Cherokee just turns the light on at 3000 miles.

spartan0199
12-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Mine comes on at ~ 6,500 to 7000 mile intervals. Mostly highway driving 30 miles one way to work ...

I use "cheap" oil and change it myself at about 5,000 to 5,500 mile intervals.

nate2023
12-30-2007, 10:32 PM
My moms 98 lumina comes on every month at least once. :P

Mike Jung
12-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Does the monitor on the GA just go by some predetermined mileage, or does it actually measure viscosity? Most new cars GM makes measure viscosity, but my friends Jeep Cherokee just turns the light on at 3000 miles.
Neither, pre-determined mileage nor measure of the viscosity.

...The GM engine oil life monitor counts engine revolutions and ac***ulates the number for the basis of the oil life calculation.
It then adds deterioration factors for operating temperature, start up temperature, soak times, ambient, coolant temperature, etc...

Jake
12-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Ive never had my change oil light comeon, either of my Ga's O_O

Mike Jung
07-30-2008, 07:00 PM
For the 1st time in 9.5-years, I have finally seen the CHANGE OIL light come on lol
(I don't drive that much.)

It came on at 7,689 km / 4,777-miles at 7-months old
I'm surprised it came on at that mileage.
The oil visually looked ok; but I had the oil changed anyways.
No, I am not doing an UOA with the old oil.
I thought it (the oil change monitor) would of lasted longer (with my highway road trip to Chicago, IL area this past July).
But I do drive in rush hour traffic every work day into/out of the city.

I am currently doing oil change intervals of 1-year (or maximum of 12.5k km/ 7.8K miles) or if the change oil light comes on.

We will see, when the next time the CHANGE OIL light comes on.
I wonder, if I can make it to next Christmas ? lol

I am using in my GA:
Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil (from Germany) with a NAPA Gold 1036 oversized (similar in sizing to an AC Delco PF-52) oil filter.

So at what mileage have you seen your CHANGE OIL light come on ?

PS: Don't forget to check your oil level monthly.
& top it up as needed.

PSS: All bets are off on using the OCI monitor, if your LIM is leaking or if your engine burns oil.
So this is the 2nd time I have ever seen my CHANGE OIL light come on lol

This time at 7-months & 2-days old; & driven 7043 km / 4376 miles.

PS: The oil still looks visually good.

Well, I guess I better get it changed before driving to Chicago, IL area next week lol

AznGA
07-30-2008, 10:14 PM
I had the oil light come on once because I forgot to reset it after the oil change.
140k miles and still drives and looks new.

Mike Jung
11-27-2009, 09:42 PM
My mom goes to me today, "you need to change the oil" in the GA.
The light is on in the dash, "CHANGE OIL".

So this time it only lasted 5488 km / 3410 miles over 10 months.

Those short driving trips sure kills the oil's life lol

Jake
11-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Mine came on the morning I took it to my dads to put it away for winter, I'll deal with it next spring..

IanGT99
11-28-2009, 11:34 PM
In nearly 8 years of ownership and 103,000 miles of driving (the car has 138,000 on it), I can only recall maybe 4-5 times when my light has come on. It's always really odd times, too. Once it was a few hundred miles after I had the oil changed. The longest I've ever gone without changing my oil was about 4700 miles and the light never came on. I don't pay much attention to it. I religiously use Quaker State 5-30 Peak Performance conventional oil and Supertech filters. I do a Seafoam treatment every other oil change followed by a can of Engine Restore (yes, the stuff you get at Walmart) and I've never had any problems. The GM "change oil" system isn't very accurate IMO. It's not like the ones on newer Hondas and Acuras that actually take into account viscosity and contaminants and gives you a percentage of the oil life.

Mike, where do you get your Castrol 0-30? How much does it cost? My wife's Saab 9-3 takes 0-30 and the ONLY stuff I've been able to find is Mobil-1. The damn thing take 6 quarts and it gets expensive. Luckily, Walmart carries it in a 5 quart jug for $26 and an extra quart is $6. The last time my wife got her oil changed (she went to a quick lube place without me knowing), they charged her $55 just for the oil and $30 for the service. They didn't have any 0-30 of course and used 0-20. It ran like CRAP. Needless to say, I ordered a specific 32mm socket to take off the oil filter cap (cuz nothing is universal on a Saab) and change it myself now. Anyways, I was just wondering where you get the Castrol and if it's any less expensive compared to the Mobil 1.

Mike Jung
11-28-2009, 11:57 PM

Mike, where do you get your Castrol 0-30? How much does it cost? My wife's Saab 9-3 takes 0-30 and the ONLY stuff I've been able to find is Mobil-1. The damn thing take 6 quarts and it gets expensive. Luckily, Walmart carries it in a 5 quart jug for $26 and an extra quart is $6. The last time my wife got her oil changed (she went to a quick lube place without me knowing), they charged her $55 just for the oil and $30 for the service. They didn't have any 0-30 of course and used 0-20. It ran like CRAP. Needless to say, I ordered a specific 32mm socket to take off the oil filter cap (cuz nothing is universal on a Saab) and change it myself now. Anyways, I was just wondering where you get the Castrol and if it's any less expensive compared to the Mobil 1.
Are you trying to kill the Saab 9-3 !!!! ?
Did you even read the spec's it needs ?
You = failed !
You just don't buy a synthetic motor oil viscosity for a Saab without checking the spec's needed.
GM-LL-A-025 (Euro) spec
ACEA A3 Euro performance spec
Mobil 1 0W-30 Euro Spec is not available in the USA !!!!
You should be running Mobil 1 0W-40 or German Castrol Syntec 0W-30.

Only some AutoZone's in the US carry Castrol Syntec 0W-30 from Germany.
It only comes in quart bottles.
Up here it costs $9.49 Cdn per 1L bottle.
Which is $8.65 US per quart.
But AutoZone down there is alot cheaper.

PS: On my G8 GT on Nov 19th...
Remaining Oil Life: 51%
Odometer Reading: 10,118 km / 6287 miles

Based on oil life and odometer readings, next oil change estimated at 19,300 kilometers / 11992 miles.

So, depending on my driving conditions:
It predicts OCI of 7,500 to 11,000 miles.

& it takes almost 9 quarts of oil, so don't whine to me about 6 quarts lol

IanGT99
11-29-2009, 10:17 PM
^^^ Every time I've gone to Autozone or Advance Auto looking for the Castrol Syntec 0-30 Euro formula or even the Mobil 1 0-40, they don't have it. The website says they carry it in the stores around me, but they don't. The employees there say that no other store in the region carries it either and they can't order it. Nor am I able to order it online. The dealer charges ridiculous prices for the "Saab genuine oil." This is why I was asking where you got the Castrol 0-30. I'm a member on Saabcentral.com's forum. After searching on there a while ago, it was a general conclusion that Mobil 1 0-30 was not ideal, but ok to use as long as it's changed every 4000 miles or so. The gentlemen on there also recommended I have an oil analysis done to see if the 4000 mile interval was ok. I'd like to get the proper Euro formulated oil the car needs, but unfortunately it seems to be unavailable in my area. We've put over 50,000 miles on the car and it has just over 114,000 now with no engine problems. Well, other than the crank position sensor that went bad and caused the car to randomly shut off. So, I HAVE done my research and haven't failed at Saab ownership just yet. I've already told the wife she's never getting another Saab until Koennigsigg pulls all the GM influence out of them. She had an '87 900 turbo that ran for 365k miles, a '97 9000 CSE that had 185k, and now she's had her '04 9-3 for nearly three years with the 114k. The G8 takes 9 freaking quarts??? Wow...

Mike Jung
11-29-2009, 11:33 PM
^^^ Every time I've gone to Autozone or Advance Auto looking for the Castrol Syntec 0-30 Euro formula or even the Mobil 1 0-40, they don't have it. The website says they carry it in the stores around me, but they don't. The employees there say that no other store in the region carries it either and they can't order it. Nor am I able to order it online. The dealer charges ridiculous prices for the "Saab genuine oil." This is why I was asking where you got the Castrol 0-30. I'm a member on Saabcentral.com's forum. After searching on there a while ago, it was a general conclusion that Mobil 1 0-30 was not ideal, but ok to use as long as it's changed every 4000 miles or so. The gentlemen on there also recommended I have an oil analysis done to see if the 4000 mile interval was ok. I'd like to get the proper Euro formulated oil the car needs, but unfortunately it seems to be unavailable in my area. We've put over 50,000 miles on the car and it has just over 114,000 now with no engine problems. Well, other than the crank position sensor that went bad and caused the car to randomly shut off. So, I HAVE done my research and haven't failed at Saab ownership just yet. I've already told the wife she's never getting another Saab until Koennigsigg pulls all the GM influence out of them. She had an '87 900 turbo that ran for 365k miles, a '97 9000 CSE that had 185k, and now she's had her '04 9-3 for nearly three years with the 114k. The G8 takes 9 freaking quarts??? Wow...
Damn, what is a DIY person to do for Euro vehicles ?

Koennigsigg wants nothing to do with Saab now.
It is back to GM now.

Edit: I hate saying this for your wife's Sabb 9-3...
But try Mobil 1 5W-30
It is ACEA A5 rated.
Viscosity @ 100 C = 11.3 cSt
HTHS Viscosity, mPas @ 150C = 3.09

Mobil 1 0W-30 is:
ACEA A1
Viscosity at 100C = 11.0 cSt
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150C = 2.99

Have you tried to find Castrol Syntec 5W-40 ?
It is used for Audi/VW in North America.
& is ACEA A3 rated.

PS: How much is the Saab 0W-30 synthetic motor oil ?
Because it might just be worth it.
As you can go the long extended OCI that it was designed to go with it's OLM system.

How about BMW HP 5W-30 synthetic oil that is ACEA A3 rated ?
I heard it isn't too expensive.

cardude007617
11-30-2009, 12:47 AM
god. i never knew oil buying was so damn complicated.

IanGT99
11-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Damn, what is a DIY person to do for Euro vehicles ?

Koennigsigg wants nothing to do with Saab now.
It is back to GM now.

Edit: I hate saying this for your wife's Sabb 9-3...
But try Mobil 1 5W-30
It is ACEA A5 rated.
Viscosity @ 100 C = 11.3 cSt
HTHS Viscosity, mPas @ 150C = 3.09

Mobil 1 0W-30 is:
ACEA A1
Viscosity at 100C = 11.0 cSt
HTHS Viscosity, mPas @ 150C = 2.99

Have you tried to find Castrol Syntec 5W-40 ?
It is used for Audi/VW in North America.
& is ACEA A3 rated.

PS: How much is the Saab 0W-30 synthetic motor oil ?
Because it might just be worth it.
As you can go the long extended OCI that it was designed to go with it's OLM system.

How about BMW HP 5W-30 synthetic oil that is ACEA A3 rated ?
I heard it isn't too expensive.

I was unaware that Koennigsigg had dropped out of ownership of Saab. Last I read they were finalizing a deal. Well, looks like the wife won't have to worry about getting another Saab anyways cuz they won't be around in the States.

I have tried the Mobil 5-30 in the past after doing more research about it on the Saabcentral site and learning of the slightly better viscosity ratings. Some guys in the US who said they had used it said they only saw a minimal mileage difference... not in my case. My wife does a mix of highway/city driving and usually gets between 450 and 480 miles to a tank. She filled up three times with the 5-30 in the crankcase and never got over 400 miles for a tank with the same fuel. The performance seemed to be lacking as well. So after 1200 miles or so, I changed it out again for the 0-30 and she got her usual mileage and performance. We took the car from central PA to Denver and back on 5 tanks of gas... nearly 600 miles per tank and 36mpg's average for the trip with the Mobil 0-30... not bad.

I have not tried the 5w40 Castrol or the BMW 5w30. I'll have to do a little more research into its ratings and go from there. It also matters if it's even available to me.

I would get the Saab oil from the dealer, which is 0-40. The problem is the closest dealer is nearly an hour away. They charge $10.99 a quart for it. They told me they could order the Mobil 1 0w30 Euro spec oil directly from Sweden, but it would cost $15.99 a quart. I think not!

For my area, the Mobil 1 0-30 is my best and most cost effective option available to me. I'm constantly harping on the guys at Autozone to get the Castrol 0-40 cuz it says it's $6.99 a quart on their website which means $42 total. I pay $32 now for the Mobil 1, but would gladly pay the extra ten bucks for the proper oil for the 9-3. Owning a Saab tends to suck.

[ChaosweaveR]
11-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Since we have oil on the brains, I've been pondering the switch from Castrol Edge 5W-30 to Castrol Syntec 0W-30, and use of the oversized K&N filter, HP-2001 rather than the HP-1001 which comes up for the LA1 and most other 60* and 90* GM V6's. Thoughts?

PhantomLover007
11-30-2009, 02:00 PM
god. i never knew oil buying was so damn complicated.

And MJ can tell you all about it... lol lol

[ChaosweaveR]
11-30-2009, 02:08 PM
And MJ can tell you all about it... lol lol

I love reading his posts. lol

PhantomLover007
11-30-2009, 02:16 PM
READ??? I have to get Cliff-Notes most of the time. lol lol

MJ is like an oil baron.

[ChaosweaveR]
11-30-2009, 02:17 PM
READ??? I have to get Cliff-Notes most of the time. lol lol

MJ is like an oil baron.

Good, I need his help on my Castrol Edge 5W30/ Castrol Syntec 0W30 dilemma. lol

Mike Jung
11-30-2009, 10:20 PM
;1103982']Since we have oil on the brains, I've been pondering the switch from Castrol Edge 5W-30 to Castrol Syntec 0W-30, and use of the oversized K&N filter, HP-2001 rather than the HP-1001 which comes up for the LA1 and most other 60* and 90* GM V6's. Thoughts?

;1103990']Good, I need his help on my Castrol Edge 5W30/ Castrol Syntec 0W30 dilemma. lol
Both are good for their own reasons.

For the most protection, in high performance applications:
Castrol Syntec 0W-30

To get the best gasoline mileage & make people more comfortable using 5W-30 & 10W-30:
Castrol Edge 5W-30

Can't wrong with either (unless you have a car calling for Euro spec'd oils).

IanGT99
12-01-2009, 11:03 AM

Yeah, like my wife's. AND if you're able to obtain said Euro spec'd oil. :banghead

[ChaosweaveR]
12-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Both are good for their own reasons.

For the most protection, in high performance applications:
Castrol Syntec 0W-30

To get the best gasoline mileage & make people more comfortable using 5W-30 & 10W-30:
Castrol Edge 5W-30

I see. Thanks for the tip MJ. I wanted to go 0W30 for the cold winters here, and I've just heard lots of good from this spec oil in general.

Gonna go with 0W-30 next oil change. :)

D.joida
12-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi All,

I am about to do my oil change on my 848 and put it away for the winter. Do I run the engine after my oil change since I am storing the bike in the winter?

Thanks in advance

2000 GT Coupe
12-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi All,

I am about to do my oil change on my 848 and put it away for the winter. Do I run the engine after my oil change since I am storing the bike in the winter?

Thanks in advance

Enough to fill the filter with oil and check the level I would think.

IanGT99
12-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi All,

Thanks in advance

Yes. Let it run for a few minutes to do a full cycle. Also think about doing a stabilizer for your oil and fuel, too, if you're not going to start the bike for longer than a month.

xinuflux
12-23-2009, 08:17 AM
;1103982']... use of the oversized K&N filter, HP-2001 rather than the HP-1001 which comes up for the LA1 and most other 60* and 90* GM V6's. Thoughts?

I've been using the HP-2001 successfully for many changes now. It's worth it to me since it's the same price as the 1001 plus it seems like having a bit more oil flowing is better.

xinuflux
12-23-2009, 08:23 AM
I use the OBD port ScanGauge II which shows the life remaining and I can assure you that the oil life monitor does work - the dashboard warning light comes on as soon as it dips below 10% remaining life.

IanGT99
12-23-2009, 11:19 AM
^^^ Hmm. Like I said in a previous post, I've had the light come on after only a few hundred miles or so after an oil change and conversely never came on after 4700 miles. Not sure what to believe...

xinuflux
12-23-2009, 04:49 PM
After rereading what I wrote - I should have said "my" oil light instead of implying all - didn't mean for it to sound the way it did!

That is strange. And a bad indicator is definitely worse than no indicator.

nolimit
12-24-2009, 03:29 PM
i was also wondering about the oil light, does it run off a sensor to monitor how dirty the oil gets or run off the how many miles you put on , i change my oil at 3,000 miles.i changed mine about 2 weeks ago and put about 800 miles or so and this morning while i was letting it warm up the light came?

nolimit
12-26-2009, 02:21 PM
bump

Mike Jung
01-01-2010, 10:57 AM
i was also wondering about the oil light, does it run off a sensor to monitor how dirty the oil gets or run off the how many miles you put on , i change my oil at 3,000 miles.i changed mine about 2 weeks ago and put about 800 miles or so and this morning while i was letting it warm up the light came?

You have to reset the OLM system after every oil change, to use it.

It does not use speedometer speed or air quality in the equation.
http://www.goodwrench.com/_res/pdf/OLS1.pdf
& also zoom in on the charts.

https://www.gmtraining.com/tmswebtree/techlink/images/issues/arcv_pdf/3_00_e.pdf
Read page 4.

On my '99 GA:
In the owner's manual, it says to change the oil: when the OLM says to, or once a year, or at maximum mileage of 12,500 km / 7,767 miles.
I have seen the Oil Change light come on from 3.4K to 5K miles.

On my G8 GT, that has a 8.8 quart oil tank:
The owner's manual says to change the oil when the OLM says to, or once a year.
Last month's OnStar report is predicting at 16,818km / 10,450 miles (with a road trip to Chicago, IL & Philly, PA on it).
(I have seen it predict as low as 11,700 km / 7279 miles for my city driving.
To high as 17,618 km / 10,947 miles after my road trip to Chicago, IL.)
My last gasoline fill-up at 9,634 km / 5,986 miles on this oil change, had my OLM at 40% life left.

I am using German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil with a NAPA Gold oil filter; so I am not too worried about running it so long.
Since the OLM are calibrated for my cars using dino oil.

GM Canada suggests oil change intervals of every 6-months or if your OLM tells you to.

IanGT99
01-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Mike, good news, buddy. I went into my local Auto Zone again, and they actually had a some Euro spec'd Castol Syntec 0W-30. The guy I usually talk to in there said he wished he would have had my number cuz he was gonna call me to let me know they got it in. Apparently, they've had a few other customers ask about it around my area. I have seen more than a few late model 9-3's around here and I wondered why Auto Zone didn't have that oil. I'm sure it'd be a common mistake to put non-certified 0-30 oil in them, but in my case, it was the least of all evils for a while. I bought 6 quarts at $6.99 each for my wife's next oil change. I couldn't really afford to buy the whole case at the time, but I'll be going back to get all I can in a few weeks.

Mike Jung
12-06-2010, 07:36 PM
My former GA (now my Mom's grocery getter, literally) had the Change Oil light come on last week.

51 weeks & about 4800 km / 3K miles.

On my G8:
I am due for an oil change soon too.
29 weeks & about 17.1K km / 10.6K miles.
My oil life is down to 7%.
IIRC, at 5% my Service Engine Oil message comes on.

My last oil change interval was at:
11.5 months & 14,387 km / 8,940 miles on the oil, with 3% life left on the OLM.

Malibu369258
12-06-2010, 07:45 PM
I've only seen it ONCE and that was on the way back from a roadtrip to Michigan... reset it at a rest stop and kept going lol

Molson
12-07-2010, 03:42 PM
my change oil light comes on when its time to change the oil. ;)

01GPGT
12-07-2010, 06:24 PM
according to the PCM i should change the oil as it says 0%

the light bulb is burned out. the guy i bought it from said it was on for 2 years then turned off

i change it every 3,000 on all my cars but i am OCD when it comes to maintance

Mike Jung
01-16-2012, 01:08 PM
I got an oil change on the GA today.

13-months & 4573 km / 2842 miles this time & the CHANGE OIL light came on.
(Yeah, my Mom doesn't drive it much lol)

Almost seems a waste to be using Castrol Syntec 0W-30 Euro Formula from Germany in it lol

[ChaosweaveR]
01-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Wow...

But 0W30 works fine in the LA1?

bricooper78
01-16-2012, 05:29 PM
;1170612']Wow...

I thought about trying the 5/20 that the new stuff is using, but i'm too scared lol

Mike Jung
01-17-2012, 09:48 PM
;1170612']Wow...

Yes, 0W-30 motor oil works fine with the LA1 motor.

I thought about trying the 5/20 that the new stuff is using, but i'm too scared lol
You are on your own in trying 5W-20 motor oil.
I won't use in in my cars.
Especially since GM calls for a 5W-30 viscosity motor oil in the GA.

Cold crank ranking:
0W = (at least to) -35C/-31F
5W = -30C/-22F

Viscosity at 100C:
20 = 5.60-9.29 cSt
30 = 9.30-12.49 cSt
40 = 12.50-16.29 cSt

Typically a 5W-30 at 100C is around 10.0 cSt viscosity.

Castrol Syntec 0W-30 is 12.1 cSt viscosity at 100C; 3.5 cP @ 150C

Castrol Syntec 5W-20 is 9.0 cSt viscosity at 100C; 2.6 cP @ 150C
Mobil 1 5W-20 is 8.9 cSt viscosity at 100C; 2.75 cP @ 150C

Mobil 1 0W-30 is 10.9 cSt viscosity at 100C; 3.0 cP @ 150C
Mobil 1 5W-30 is 11.0 cSt viscosity at 100C; 3.1 cP @ 150C
Mobil 1 0W-40 is 13.5 cSt viscosity at 100C; 3.8 cP @ 150C