Alarm/Remote starter ignition problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Alarm/Remote starter ignition problem

atomicpile
12-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Hello.
I have an 04 grandam GT, and I am trying to wire in a remote starter/alarm system. After a full day of work I have the Alarm installed and working, but the remote start is another issue. I wired the rs into the ignition as far as I can tell the right way, but the car never cranks when I activate the remote start. I have the crank wire connected and it is hot when I turn the ignition to the crank position. I don't have a factory alarm, so I don't think that I have passlock, the car never turns over with the rs anyway. Here is how I have the remote start wired, what am I doing wrong?

red -batt
red/black -batt
yellow - starter/crank wire
pink - ignition 1
dk green - ignition 2
accessory - orange.

When I hit the start button on the auto starter, the car acts like someone moved the key to the on position, but the engine never cranks.

Thanks. -MH

AleroME
12-29-2007, 08:33 PM
You have passlock, either bypass w/ the DEI passlock bypass module or read the resistance and solder resistors perminately to bypass it.

2nd, your missing the starter wire besides those wires. the remote start wires should be 2 red power wires, ign1, ign2, acc, and starter wire.

If all is hooked up.. the car will turn over but won't start due to passlock. until you bypass passlock then it'll remote start.

atomicpile
12-29-2007, 08:49 PM
yeah, forgot to add that I did connect the starter wire (yellow), just forgot to add it to my list.

The car never turns over, it doesn't even try to start. I do have the yellow starter wire connected.

AleroME
12-29-2007, 08:57 PM
So does it do anything when u try to activiate it? Before any remote start works, you need to go through its programming menu first before it even tries to turn the car on and start it. Try that, and is the brake wire hooked up and the ebrake wire?

atomicpile
12-29-2007, 09:28 PM
The brake wires are hooked up, and I have trained the remote start to the tac etc,, as per the instructions that came with the unit. When I try to use the auto start the car it acts like I turned the key to the on position and did not crank it. In other words, all the accessories and cabin power turns on, but the engine never cranks.

AleroME
12-29-2007, 11:21 PM
The brake wires are hooked up, and I have trained the remote start to the tac etc,, as per the instructions that came with the unit. When I try to use the auto start the car it acts like I turned the key to the on position and did not crank it. In other words, all the accessories and cabin power turns on, but the engine never cranks.

Did you install the starter disable relay? If so, you prolly put it before the relay, which it should be after the relay to the starter side. Not the key side wire. That might be the problem.

and why don't u just set it to sense voltage? Oneless to hookup to the tac. Since you set it to sense tach, is the tach wire hooked up?

other than those.. and not looking at your wiring on the car.. I can't really suggest anything else.

iceman
12-30-2007, 12:21 AM
Was going to say what Rich said about the disable relay.. Sounds like you are on the wrong side of the ignition switch.

Definitely need a passlock bypass.

Good thing about 02.5 and later is that they start themselves when you hit start, so you don't need tach sense, it won't over crank.

Does remote start takeover work? good way to see if your other hookups are proper.

atomicpile
01-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks for your help.

I never connected the starter disable relay, I was going to do that after I made sure that the remote start worked... I connected all of the ignition wires just behind the ignition switch in the dash. The tach wire is conencted to the white wire at the coils under the hood, and the remote start does read the tach correctly (it has a diagnostic mode that lets me check). I am in the process of getting a passlock bypass module, I'll see if that solves my problem, because I cannot think of anything else that could be wrong.

Again, thanks for the help.

EDIT: The remote start takeover does work, just like it's supposed to. Can passlock keep the car from cranking? That's about all I have left to try anyway.

AleroME
01-01-2008, 08:23 PM
what brand and model alarm is this? sounds like everything is hooked up. Even without passlock disable, the engine should still turn over, it just won't fire due to security light triggering hence cutting out fuel.

it should crank over, just won't fire up. like engine should spin (turnover) still when it tries to start it.
Passlock just cuts out fuel pump/fuel to the engine. But engine should spin. like said.

atomicpile
01-01-2008, 08:54 PM
It's an audiovox APS905. I will double check all of my wiring when I get some free time to pull the dash apart again. I have yet to see the security light come on, so I guess that passlock is not the issue with the car not turning over.

I am fairly experienced doing electrical work on cars, but this thing has me frustrated. I am getting tempted just to take it to an alarm shop and have them sort it out. I just don't want to spend the money. It's possible that I managed to get a wire mixed up somewhere, so I will check everything over when I get time.

Thanks.