Functional hood [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Functional hood

chrisjkru
01-04-2008, 01:20 AM
This might seem like a stupid question, but would there be a way to make the non functional hood scoops on the grand am functional?(I am refering to the SC/T hood.)

SSRacer
01-04-2008, 08:12 AM
I assume you are talking about the SC/T hood? I would think you could make them functional if you added ducting to the underside of the hood to funnel the air to the air cleaner. Not sure what you would use or how you would attach it though.

rocketfast123
01-04-2008, 12:14 PM
I remember seeing somthing about this like 3 years ago. I'm sorry if i'm no help

Ajaxus
01-04-2008, 12:27 PM
i think boost21 set his hood up to direct more heat away from the engine, iirc. but it isn't ducted to the air box.

I can't think of anyone off of the top of my head that has one that is "fully functional."

SSRacer
01-04-2008, 12:40 PM
I guess the easiest way would be to bend some aluminum to form the ducts and epoxy it to the hood. You'd have to watch your clearances though.

boost21
01-12-2008, 10:19 PM
i think boost21 set his hood up to direct more heat away from the engine, iirc. but it isn't ducted to the air box.

I can't think of anyone off of the top of my head that has one that is "fully functional."

My heat extractors direct heat out of the back of the hood while the front scoops feed air right to my air filter
(sd hood)

WeibSunder
01-12-2008, 10:38 PM
My heat extractors direct heat out of the back of the hood while the front scoops feed air right to my air filter
(sd hood)

Do you have pics of your setup? I'm interested to see what's going on under that hood.

boost21
01-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Ill have to search to see if i have any, but if not its goin to have to wait till spring since the intake and hoods off :P

lone_wolf025
01-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Your best bet would be to use the hood simply cooling purposes and more airflow into the engine bay. In terms of using it for intake purposes, the stock "ram air" scoops are in a better position for catching flow, but as we all know the whole system is rather restrictive.

AaronGTR
01-13-2008, 08:28 AM
This is the underside of the SD hood I used to have. That's how it came from the factory and before painting. Only one heat extractor was open, and the other was closed off because the ducting from the front intakes to the air box ran over it. It came with a foam weather strip you were supposed to put around the hole, then cut a hole in the air box lid and put a cone filter in it to make it functional.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/AaronGTR/myhood2.jpg

I'm pretty sure the aftermarket SC/T hood from PFYC has that ducting too (it's made by the same company). There's not much point in using the ducting though because it makes the air pretty turbulent and gets heat soaked from the engine. I cut some of the ducting out on mine so I could open up the other heat extractor instead because I just wanted the extra cooling and was using a CAI intake anyway.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/AaronGTR/myhood3.jpg

As for making the factory SC/T hood functional, it doesn't have the ducting and it would be a pain to make your own, so there really isn't any point for the same reasons as above. You get more power from a cold air intake, so if you want to do anything with the air scoops on your hood, just open them up for more ventilation.

WeibSunder
01-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Aaron, was it you that said that the scoops would have to be something like 4 inches off the hood to actually catch enough air flow to make a difference?

cobrajeff92
01-13-2008, 12:15 PM
on the *** hood the snorkles have ducts on the bottem that lead str8 to the airbox if thats what you looking for.

AaronGTR
01-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Aaron, was it you that said that the scoops would have to be something like 4 inches off the hood to actually catch enough air flow to make a difference?

Nope, wasn't me. The scoops should get some actual airflow thru them, but not a ton.

lone_wolf025
01-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Stock sc/t scoops do get some airflow. They won't vent nearly well enough as the aftermarket hoods, but on my own car I noticed that when driving it was a tick or two cooler.