Oil leak on passenger side [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak on passenger side

drumking1721
01-04-2008, 01:16 PM
I took my car in today to have the tranny looked at because i noticed red dots on the snow after moving my car. Turns out the tranny is fine. He did point out a decent oil leak on the passenger side of the engine. I check the oil level and its still at the place i last left it two or three weeks ago. I dont know where it is coming from...any ideas?

timka86
01-04-2008, 01:42 PM
LIM gasket could be one but usually coolant not oil, power steering two, I had the front crank shaft seal leaking on mine.

all of those are on the passenger side.

drumking1721
01-04-2008, 01:45 PM
yeah i recently did the LIM...its not from that...its dripping down the oil casing...so idk,the crank seal sounds like it could be the culprit, but too much to fix..i need to start saving for a new car...ugh

timka86
01-04-2008, 02:15 PM
you'd see the leak on the oil pan if it's from the front crank seal.

drumking1721
01-04-2008, 02:22 PM
then bingo.....hard to fix? worth fixing?

stewartfn18
01-04-2008, 07:24 PM
I dont assume the front main seal would be too hard to replace. Theres alot of work involved but shouldnt be that hard. You got lucky though(if you want to call it luck) that it wasnt the rear main seal. Id imagine that to be 10 times harder. Mines startin to drip and i usually take care of leaks right as i notice them, but this is a PITA job and alot more work than the front so ill have to deal. If you can do it yourself then do it cuz i think the seal is only like 20 dollars so it would be worth it IMO.

Mike Jung
01-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Axle shaft seal ?

Is this the same thing as a front crank shaft seal ?

If it is:
You will want to fix it.
Before you leak out too much ATF.

IIRC, 1-hour labour & parts.
I got mine changed changed a couple of weeks ago under extended warranty at a Chevy dealer.

My invoice on my GA with the 3400 series V6 engine says:
Right/Front axle shaft seal & sleeve
part # 24203910 (seal kit N 060610) $34.05Cdn

At http://www.gmpartsdirect.com
GM part # 24203910
GM list = $20.23US
their price = $11.53US

stewartfn18
01-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Axle shaft seal ?

If it is:
You will want to fix it.

no this is a diiferent seal he is talkin about. i know what seal you are takin about cuz mine drips a bit and i do need to fix that. But the main seal is the seal that is inbetween the crank and the oil pan or somethin like that. but hes leakin oil, not ATF.

timka86
01-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Axle shaft seal ?

If it is:
You will want to fix it.

no, they're not the same. the crank seal holds back oil, the axle shaft seal holds back ATF. From what i understand he's not leaking ATF, but oil.

Mike Jung
01-04-2008, 10:12 PM
^
Oh ok, thanks guys :)

drumking1721
01-05-2008, 12:17 AM
yea it has nothing to do with the tranny...idk what the red fluid was from..couldnt pin point it...as for the oil...its barely noticeable when you check the level..so it will have to wait,im not too worried about it..i just couldnt figure it out..and if by any chance.Do any of you have a pic of where it is? I gotta see if its something i can do on a weekend trip home,i cant here at my apartment..i just want to get a general idea..thanks

timka86
01-05-2008, 07:59 AM
here you go. it's when i did my rebuild year and a half ago. i pulled the whole engine.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f363/timka86/CIMG4638-1.jpg

it's not bad at all, pull the crank pulley, yank the old seal, pop in the new, one, carefull not to bend it.

yea it has nothing to do with the tranny...idk what the red fluid was from..couldnt pin point it...as for the oil...its barely noticeable when you check the level..so it will have to wait,im not too worried about it..i just couldnt figure it out..and if by any chance.Do any of you have a pic of where it is? I gotta see if its something i can do on a weekend trip home,i cant here at my apartment..i just want to get a general idea..thanks

drumking1721
01-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Yea its def. the front seal then. Now getting the crank off,i can do that through the passenger wheel well right? And im sorry for all the questions, but is this something i can deal with for a little while? its going to be about a month b4 i go home to work on the car. I do A LOT of high way driving, If i check my oil should i be straight?

stewartfn18
01-05-2008, 06:00 PM
yea you should be fine for another month. God only knows how long its been dripping and if you just checked it and it was fine, then your good to go another month. I do beleive you can get to the crank pully through the wheel well.

drumking1721
01-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Yea i looked at it...should be hard at all..idk...im just super anal about that stuff and i may just take it into a shop here in town and have it done..they give discounts to wmu students..so yeah...should take more than an hour to do