ticking noise [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ticking noise

aaron89
01-07-2008, 02:33 PM
i have a ticking noise under my dash and dont realy kno wat it is, any ideas, scared the crap out of me wen i first heard it, thought it was the engine but its under the dash, now the heater only works on setting 5 but its been like that logn before the ticking noise came in it, sounds like its in the middle of the dash

SSRacer
01-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Your car will self destruct in ten seconds...

g4mbl3
01-07-2008, 10:24 PM
ok, what it should be is that i forget what its called but i think its the multi-function switch? mine has been doing it since i bought my car back in may of 07. but that switch has a buildup of gunk on it and needs cleaned and then add a small bit of grease. its the switch that is on the steering wheel and use the search button and there will be instructions on how to remove it and clean it.

jeese it gets annoying, doesnt it??? and hitting the dash does nothing... trust me...

aaron89
01-08-2008, 12:09 PM
yeah its realy anoyings, and its pretty loud, ill do a search and see what i can figure out, yah i tried hiting the dash does nothing lol

Pauljp
01-08-2008, 12:35 PM
If it is what we all think it is, then you can find the answer here:
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20073

The sound you are hearing is most likely the turn signal relay located with the hazzard button. But it isn't the relay that is the problem, it is the multi-function switch on your steering column, and you can fix it yourself in about 30 minutes.
Get some dielectric grease and READ THE HOW-TO INSTRUCTIONS...
The hardest part is making sure your horn pin gets put back in right.
The problem is dirt gets into your switch. You have to take it apart, clean it up and regrease it.

Good Luck.

simone0414
01-13-2008, 04:50 PM
I have the same problem with my wifes car. When driving the car you hear an intermitant clicking noise. Sounds like the turn signal noise. Sometimes it is real fast other times not. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all. Seems to do it more when the weather is cold or right after the turn signal has been used. Turn signals & hazzard lights work fine. Does not make the noise when the turn signal or hazzard lights are on. Sounds like it is coming from the middle of the dash where the hazzard switch is.

From what I have read it sounds like the multifunctional switch on the sterring column. Or is it the hazzard warning switch that there is a recall for?

Pauljp
01-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Nope, it's your multifunctional switch on the steering column. For sure. I have it on my car and haven't fixed it yet as it doesn't do it enough to bother me. An easy fix, just have to take it apart and clean it. Follow the link on my last post. Just watch the horn pin when assembling it. Good luck.