Vehicle speed sensor. VSS [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle speed sensor. VSS

radly
01-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Well recently my car was shifting funky. Then about a day or two later my spedometer stops working and a service engine light came on. With this light came a complete and utter lack of the computers ability to decide when to shift witch makes my rpms go nuts before it slams it into gear.

SO i took it to autozone and they put the reader on it and the guy said it was a low voltage no voltage signal coming from the speed sensor and it needed to be replaced ... SO i picked one up and a Haynes on how to do it. (i usually have one for all my cars.) And where it tells me how to replace it it really dose not give ANY instructions what so ever. It says jack it up and take it off....

Well my question is what side is it on? Has anyone here replaced it before and do you guys have any tips on how to do this "the easy way?"

And or does anyone think that anything else can be wrong with my car with the symptoms i am describing?

(no spedo... Transmission does not know when to shift and when it does it jams it into gear.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out.

stewartfn18
01-09-2008, 06:11 PM
The VSS is on the trans on the passenger side of the car on the bottom. Its obviously only a sensor so all you have to do is unplug it and i beleive that there is 2 small bolts that hold it to the trans. Unbolt it, pull it out and reverse for installation. Very simple. i replaced mine but only because it was leaking. There is accually 2 VSS sensors The input and the output. But it does sound like that is the problem though.

radly
02-21-2008, 09:07 PM
ok so i replaced the sensor on the trans. I still get a ses light, crappy shifting (if any shifting at all) and no spedo. What else can be the problem? The wires going to it? Is there a sensor on the wheel itself? I have a chiltons but its really no help the area the book has the vss its 1 small paragraph like 3 sentences long. I have to get this fixed i haven't really been able to use my car in too long. Please help me out and avoid some repair costs from mechanics.

stewartfn18
02-22-2008, 09:08 AM
take it to autozone and have them read the codes, then come back and tell us what the codes are. then we can help you more.