Monsoon stereo problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Monsoon stereo problems

chriskelly163
01-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Hey guys....

I have a problem with my stereo. I just lost my battery and after replacing it my stereo would not work. I tryed replacing the amp fuse in the side panel but it dident work. I don't know if the is another fuse for my power or is it just that my stereo is blown..

thanks

Pauljp
01-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Sounds to me like it is the Theftlock system built into the stereo. You can find how to reactivate it in your owners manual. The code is usually the VIN number of the car.

chriskelly163
01-09-2008, 09:06 PM
cool man I will try it but there on lights on. do you just plug the numbers in anyways...

Pauljp
01-10-2008, 07:03 AM
I don't have the manual in front of me right now, but it's something like this:

1- turn the ignition to "ON"
2- turn the radio off.
3- push and hold the minute button for the clock
4- radio display will show "---".
5- press minute button until last 3 digits of VIN are displayed.
6- Press Hour button until first 3 digits of VIN are displayed.
Entering these numbers should unlock the radio.

These instructions may not be accurate because I don't have my book in front of me now, but it's something along those lines.

Either way, you should have some sort of display on your radio, if not, it has to be something else.

Keep me informed of what happens.

chriskelly163
01-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Yeah I cant trun the radio off it has no power that why I think its a fuse or something..

GTsuper
01-10-2008, 09:01 PM
ok i no its obvious but is it hooked up right and if so try disconnecting and start over check the fuse "radio batt" for power

Pauljp
01-11-2008, 05:48 AM
Don't forget also, that radios require 2 power sources...
One that is always on to keep the memory like the clock, and another that is going through the ignition switch to turn the radio on and off when you start or stop the car. Both of these are fused.

Also, check each wire on the harness at the back of the radio, I have seen times where a wire popped out of the socket on the plastic plug. Gently tug on each wire to make sure that it is snug. It wouldn't hurt to unplug the connector and visually inspect the pins on both the plug and the radio... see if any are bent.

Remember, 2 power sources and a good ground is all that is needed to enable your radio.

chriskelly163
01-11-2008, 07:59 AM
hey man thanks for the help... what are the names of the two fuses and were are they located.

thanks again

chris

Pauljp
01-12-2008, 11:56 AM
The "Radio Batt" fuse on a 2003 GAGT is located on the bottom left of the passenger side fuse panel at the end of the dash. This is the main power that is always on to maintain memory.

There are a couple of other fuses. One is in the engine compartment fuse block beside the battery. It is the "Radio, Body Function Control Module, Interior Lamps" and is on the bottom row, second from the left.
Chances are, if your interior lights are working, then this fuse is good.

The other is the "Trunk Release, Audio Amp" fuse located second from the top on the right of the drivers side fuse panel. Chances are, if your trunk release works, then this fuse is good.

Remember, you also need a good ground. try a jumper wire from your antenna ground/shield to a weld or bolt under the dash that is part of the body ground.

If all of this checks out good and your radio still doesn't work, then pull it out and test it on a bench.

chriskelly163
01-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Yeah man thanks I dident even know there was a fuse panel on the passanger side of my car guess the only time i got in the passanger was was when I was drunk....lol. But yeah it was that fuse and I thank you again

chris

Mike Jung
01-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Umm...

IIRC...

The Monsoon units do not have a theftlock code.

It has your VIN programmed in it, compares the VIN to the one programmed.

If you sell the Monsoon unit:
To unlock it...The buyer will have to go to a GM dealer & get them to program their own VIN into the unit, with their Tech II scan tool computer.

So check your fuses.

Pauljp
01-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Woo-Hoo Chris... you are back in action !!!
Sorry, at the time I mentioned the Theftlock, I didn't realize that you have a newer GA, as Mike mentioned, the newer cars have the Theftlock II in it now and use the VIN of your car. This way you can disconnect power, change batteries and such and have no problems getting your radio to work. Thanks Mike for that info. Have fun Chris.

Paul

carlos m.
07-21-2010, 09:56 PM
I wanted to check to see if i could replace one of the bulds that burned out on my monsoon cd radio. My car is a 2002. The display would not function properly like before and the volume knob would not adjust the sound-- high or low. I just took off the front part of the stereo and then i noticed the 2 small connectors that are connected to the circuit of the face plate. I did nothing to these connections and put everything back. What did i do wrong?