front rotor noise [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : front rotor noise

HaVoK~DOGZ~
01-10-2008, 09:49 PM
sup fellas .. first of all ive searched for a while now but didnt find what i needed.. i recently bought a set of r1 concept cross drilled rotors front and rear along with their performance friction pads... my problem is my front rotors make a humming kinda grinding noise while braking/ or kinda hard... and my rears make noise while im driving but are not too loud.. i took em apart again yesterday and greased up the shims and by the boot on the piston... do they need to break in or something to get rid of the noise???????????????????/ thanks alot in advance

Malaclypse
01-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Does this only happen in the morning or after the car has been sitting for 6 hours or more?

If so, its most likely rust buildup on your pads/rotors. If the noise goes away after a few stops its nothing to worry about.

Bryan
01-11-2008, 06:13 PM
The rotors will make more noise than stock replacements. I'm assuming you cleaned them off thoroughtly before installing?
Sounds pretty normal for the new set-up though.

Panacea
01-11-2008, 06:14 PM
I know my powerslots made noise, I'm going to guess (assuming it's not surface rust) that the noise is normal.

Bryan
01-11-2008, 06:16 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61585&highlight=concepts+noise

HaVoK~DOGZ~
01-11-2008, 09:48 PM
thanks all for responding... no it is not rust but the noise happens always when im applyin the brakes.... ive had cross drilled rotor setup before and they were never this noisy but ill see.. hopefully they just havent broken in yet

ryanbgb22
01-11-2008, 09:55 PM
I have a problem kinda like this. I get the noise apon light braking and/or slightly turning while breaking. It sounds like a bad grinding noise or something...I cant really explain it. I cant figure it out either.

i'm really starting to get sick of all these stupid minor problems that all add up to make the car feel like a piece of ****.

sudsGT
01-16-2008, 05:14 PM
if u have stock might be that ure callipers shot if ure going thru breack pads quickly epscualy the outside one ure callipers shot i had that problem

FunkZ
01-18-2008, 10:13 AM
I have EBC Sport rotors (slotted/dimpled) on my other car and yeah, they're noisier than blanks. They make a kind of whirring sound when the brakes are applied. My motorcycle does the same thing. (most bikes have cross-drilled rotors) It does diminish somewhat after break-in.

As for the other thing, from what I've read there is a bulletin concerning caliper piston rub? The fix seemed to be to peel back the dust boot and apply a small amount of lubricant behind it. It may also be the hinge/slide pins needing greased, over time they like to rust and corrode.