Pressurize Reservoir Tank? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Pressurize Reservoir Tank?

Ajaxus
01-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Weird question, but I was wondering if it was at all possible to add pressure to the reservoir tank and if so, is it safe?

Reason being, my coolant cap came apart and the piece that extends into the tank is stuck on (the threaded part broke off). The top is flat so I can't grab onto it. I've tried prying at it to pop it out, no luck.

So I was thinking adding pressure might make it easier to take out..unless anyone else has ideas?

(I can take pics if needed)

Sprucegagt
01-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Well the current pressure rating of the cap is 15 PSI so you can pressurize it up to that amount.

Ajaxus
01-11-2008, 01:12 PM
past would be a bad idea? I gotta figure out how to get this piece of the cap out so I can put the new cap on.

SikMindz
01-11-2008, 01:20 PM
I think your only safe solution is to get a new reservoir, clamp the lines and replace it. It'd make sense to drill into it and unscrew it like you would a wine cork but then you risk getting the drill bits in the coolant and getting into the piping.

Ajaxus
01-11-2008, 01:24 PM
yeah i had thought about drilling into it as well but avoided it for those reasons

i may go back to trying to pry it off..can't afford to wait on a new reservoir.

Sprucegagt
01-11-2008, 01:47 PM
There are no threads inside the reservoir neck. What's holding that piece of cap in is the O-ring being dry. It's tough to get out but you can do it with a pair of channel locks or a screw driver.

SikMindz
01-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Put your mouth over it and suck AJ.

That should do it. ;)

silvergtjrad
01-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Put your mouth over it and suck AJ.

That should do it. ;)

:applause:
+rep for sik

Ajaxus
01-11-2008, 02:17 PM

I'll try what you said andy.

Worse case scenario I figure I can remove the whole tank (already empty), drill the cap to get better leverage, and then clear out the tank of any shavings before putting it back on.

edit: fixed, thanks Andy for mentioning the channel locks. +rep