help painting my calipers [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : help painting my calipers

Pontiac34
01-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Alright, I have read many of the threads here on painting calipers and I just want to make sure I have everything right.

1) Take off wheel
2) Mask off all areas of car
3) Clean calipers with some brake cleaner. Any specific brand?
5) Wire Brush them down
5) Sand them down a little bit so paint will stick a little better. Grit?
6) Brush on paint, 2-4 coats. Best specific brand on brush on caliper paint?
7) Let dry overnight.

Any additional help would be nice.

silvergtjrad
01-13-2008, 09:36 PM
It sounds like you already have a plan, so go ahead and stick to it. Nothing you said is wrong, just a little above and beyond IMO.

You dont need to mask much off if you are brushing the paint on. Im not sure what other people have done, but I did nothing to prep the calipers other than cleaning with brake cleaner and wire brushing them. Duplicolor makes a kit for painting your calipers, and you can also buy it in a spray. It doesnt need to dry overnight. After only a little while its dry enough that you can touch it gently.

Pontiac34
01-14-2008, 12:19 AM
no one else can add to this?

TFA
01-14-2008, 12:44 AM
nope. thats more than I did. Im planning on doing the corvette caliper conversion in the spring/summer so if anything the new ones are getting powdercoated. I used the duplicolor kit, comes with tape, brush, caliper cleaner and paint. the brush sucks, but everything else is great. just remmember nice even strokes with the paint to get uniform coverage. 2 or 3 coats of the red did me good. i even had enough left over to do a little painting of the UIM.

Pontiac34
01-14-2008, 02:47 PM
i would also like to add that its about 15-20 degrees here in Wisconsin, and obveously it would be a little bit warmer in the garage. Would I be better off waiting until iis around 40-60 degrees?

silvergtjrad
01-14-2008, 03:44 PM
i would also like to add that its about 15-20 degrees here in Wisconsin, and obveously it would be a little bit warmer in the garage. Would I be better off waiting until iis around 40-60 degrees?

It would be better, but you can always touch them up anyways. After about 6 months the paint started to flake on my calipers some.