PCV Tube snapped!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : PCV Tube snapped!!

darkshines
01-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey guys,

Ok, so I was running sea foam through my PCV line/tube (the one that comes from the PCV valve and runs to the rubber U-shaped thing into the TB). And I didn't have the appropriate funnel, so I had to make do with a measuring cup with a hole drilled into the bottom of it, which, after much work, fit the size of the pcv tube perfectly. As I was slowly pouring the sea foam down the makeshift funnel, the pcv tube snapped when I put a bit of force on it pulling it up. It snapped right by the clamp or holder for it which is held in the valve cover, with another black cover over top of it. Half of the tube is still in the holder, and the other half of the tube is still in the valve elbow.

I went to the parts store and he said they didn't have the plastic tubes, only the rubber ones, but if I could cut the plastic stuff I already had to size, I could just slip the rubber tube over top of both ends. I was just about to try this when I realized that the half of the broken tube that's coming from the throttle body is still kind of stuck in the holder above the valve cover. And I have no idea how to get it out.

Can anybody give me a guide to replacing the pcv tube? That's really all i'm looking for. How to remove the pcv tube from the engine and how to put a new one in. I think I can do the rest from there.

Also, anybody know how much a GM PCV tube will cost if I get it at the dealership?

edit- Thanks!

GrandAmC9
01-14-2008, 03:13 PM
the pcv tube costs about $6 from the dealership
as for disconnecting it, you might have to unbolt the bracket from the TB where it hangs over the pcv tube

darkshines
01-14-2008, 03:37 PM
the pcv tube costs about $6 from the dealership
as for disconnecting it, you might have to unbolt the bracket from the TB where it hangs over the pcv tube

Ah! I'm surprised it's that cheap! I now take a body shop-like outlook on dealerships, in the way that they commonly price things 4x what they should cost. But $6 is a pleasant surprise!

I figured I had to unbolt that bracket. Try as I might, I was unable to slip anything out of that holder, then I realized the holder would pull out of the valve cover, but it was obstructed by that bracket you spoke of. Thanks for the help man, you were very quick!

I'm probably going to try to have a hand at that bracket myself, but in case I fail (high chance), could you maybe tell me what tools I'll need, and exactly how many bolts I have to unbolt? Sorry to make you feel like you're doing all the work.

Thanks

GrandAmC9
01-14-2008, 03:53 PM
-unhook the tube that travels over that bracket and into the intake( to get to the far bolt)
-remove the two 10mm bolts at the top of the bracket
and i was able to manuver the bracket up high enough to remove the tube

also if you disconnect some of the electronics from around that area there will be a whole lot more room

614GT95GA
01-14-2008, 05:31 PM
i cracked my PCV tube on my 95 GT, but i busted it only in one place-dead in the middle of where it goes into the PCV and where it goes down behind my engine.....would that rubber hose thing dude was talking bout work if i slid it over the snapped area, or do i HAVE to replace that entire plastic line?? thanx guys

darkshines
01-14-2008, 06:37 PM
-unhook the tube that travels over that bracket and into the intake( to get to the far bolt)
-remove the two 10mm bolts at the top of the bracket
and i was able to manuver the bracket up high enough to remove the tube

also if you disconnect some of the electronics from around that area there will be a whole lot more room

Alright captain, will do! Maybe I'll even do a how-to so I'll at least feel useful after having to ask for such detailed instructions.

i cracked my PCV tube on my 95 GT, but i busted it only in one place-dead in the middle of where it goes into the PCV and where it goes down behind my engine.....would that rubber hose thing dude was talking bout work if i slid it over the snapped area, or do i HAVE to replace that entire plastic line?? thanx guys

I've read on the internet that you can slide a regular PCV tube (rubber or silicone, not sure. it's flexible though. you can get it at any parts store. just asking for a half a foot of it. really cheap.)over both ends provided you can cover at least an inch of tubing on both ends to ensure proper sealing. That's just what I read on the net though bro.

614GT95GA
01-14-2008, 08:17 PM
thats whats up homie...i dont see why it would hurt it. I got like 3-4 inc on each side of the break....which is a clean break to begin with, so i wonder if wrappin a silicon type hose around....all the way over the whole thing(maybe red to match the car) and try it, if not-i kno where the problem is