new to the modding world [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : new to the modding world

guitarnewf
01-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Hey guys, first post here! I decided to join this site because I needed to change my resistor. Now that is done and I can't get off this site anymore, people have some sweet ass rides on here! When I bought my grand am, I didn't think that modding it would look any good, but this site proved me wrong, and now I want to get in on it, lol. I have a 02 grand am se stock, and I want to know what is the first couple of mods that should be done to a car that is just starting out in the modding world.

Here is a pic of my car.

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v105/165/116/638011390/n638011390_605554_651.jpg

Pontiac34
01-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Welcome, and yes this site is addicting!

Here are a couple mods that aren't too hard, but may be time and or money consuming:

1) Intake
2) Change all interior bulbs to LEDs (brighter and can be any color)
3) Paint Calipers
4) After market headlights
5) After market tail lights
6) Tint Windows
7) New Rims/Tires
6) New rotors/brake pads

Some other mods will be found on these sites:

customautoaccents.com
customgrandam.com

I have bought many things from these sites and they all look very nice and clean in my car. Before you buy anything, just make sure you talk to all of us on here to get some opinions. Welcome and HAVE FUN!

Bryan
01-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Welcome, I really like the green. As far as modding goes, it depends on what direction you wanna take it.

Pontiac34
01-14-2008, 09:10 PM
check out the threads they have everything

Grreen99GT
01-14-2008, 09:16 PM
I like the green too, very nice :thumbs:

I would say do this, in this order:

1. Dual-post mirrors
2. New headlights and taillights
3. Tint windows
4. 18"s
5. Lower

And that is really all you need to really make that ride look sweet. The possibilites are endless, but I think ^^^^ would be a good start. Just look around at the other threads and find something that you like. Its your car, make it look how you want it to look.

silvergtjrad
01-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Welcome, and Im glad you can see the potential in some of these cars. Just a couple words of advice: Try to search for the information you need first, as it has likely been covered numerous times. In each section of the forum, near the top, there are "sticky" threads that have common and useful information. As a newb these are going to be your biggest help.

This is how I would start out my mod list if I could do it from the beginning, while being somewhat budget oriented->

1. Cold Air Intake
2. Tinted Windows
3. MP Racing PCM
4. Upgraded Deck and Speakers
5. Cat Back Exhaust
6. Aftermarket Headlights

bigstribs
01-14-2008, 10:01 PM
welcome to the site :)

im not going to repeat everyone elses stuff so goodluck!!

r u wanting to start with performance or appearance first?

cmtapanes
01-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Welcome to the site and yes this is an addiction. For you SE I recomend doing the rear break swap to disc breaks using the GT breaks and for the front a dual piston calipers (98 F-bodies)

WeibSunder
01-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Please for the love of God don't do the following...

1. Put on spinner hub caps.
2. Install chrome headlights and taillights on a green GA.
3. Put on the stick on "heat vents".
4. Put anything chrome on a Green GA unless it's rims.

PhantomLover007
01-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Please for the love of God don't do the following...

1. Put on spinner hub caps.
2. Install chrome headlights and taillights on a green GA.
3. Put on the stick on "heat vents".
4. Put anything chrome on a Green GA unless it's rims.

x2.

Most of all. Don't r!ce it out.

No huge tail(s) that would fit on a 747.

Also,*welcome* . Yes, it is a very addicting site. It stays up on the computer all night while I'm at work (and I'm deployed..) lol

silvergtjrad
01-15-2008, 08:23 PM
We are about to hit a second page for replies and he hasnt posted again yet
:duh:

timberwoof
01-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Some of the first things I see done first are CAI, Exhaust, Rims, and Lowering Kit. That's a good start, then you can go from there.

PhantomLover007
01-16-2008, 04:35 PM
We are about to hit a second page for replies and he hasnt posted again yet
:duh:

:werd

Must just surf on the weekends or a few times a month...
Personally, I would have checked any time I had free to see what folks say.

guitarnewf
01-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Hey, thanks for all the replies guys, so many options. I can't decide if I want to go with looks or performance first, or a bit of both. I think I would like to do up the inside, maybe with a dash kit or something. Is there a site that has good dash kits for grand ams?

silvergtjrad
01-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Hey, thanks for all the replies guys, so many options. I can't decide if I want to go with looks or performance first, or a bit of both. I think I would like to do up the inside, maybe with a dash kit or something. Is there a site that has good dash kits for grand ams?

I havent seen any in person, but I hear they are all pretty cruddy. Just cheap stick on pieces that peel off over time. It would be more durable, better looking, and possibly cheaper to paint the pieces. Its more labor, but you will learn something in the process, and have the bragging rights of doing it yourself. If you check out the sponsors link, redline accessories makes a very nice custom shift boot and ebrake boot as well.