Aftermarket air filter: Surprising Study [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket air filter: Surprising Study

stillriza
01-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Link:

http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Although, the filters tested were for the GM Duramax engine, results were suprising.

Discuss? I won't be getting a K&N filter, but will settle for the FRAM Air Hog filter, a bit more air flow than stock but more protection than the K&N.

Mike Jung
01-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Good test.

& it is a *repost* from '04 ;)

...I won't be getting a K&N filter, but will settle for the FRAM Air Hog filter, a bit more air flow than stock but more protection than the K&N.
Are you focking kidding ?

STAY AWAY FROM THE FRAM AIR HOG AIR FILTER !!!

S&B FTW !!!
(If you are going to use a cotton gauze air filter.)

PS: Here is a link that actually works: http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

Sprucegagt
01-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Link:

http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Although, the filters tested were for the GM Duramax engine, results were suprising.

Discuss? I won't be getting a K&N filter, but will settle for the FRAM Air Hog filter, a bit more air flow than stock but more protection than the K&N.

That's great but if your running a CAI in a grand am then you don't want a paper filter. The area where the filter is gets exposed to too much rain and snow.

lvemy3100
01-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Good test.

& it is a *repost* from '04 ;)

Are you focking kidding ?

STAY AWAY FROM THE FRAM AIR HOG AIR FILTER !!!

S&B FTW !!!
(If you are going to use a cotton gauze air filter.)

PS: Here is a link that actually works: http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

FYI I will be listing S&B Panel Filters for sale on the MP Racing Store sometime in the near future so be on the lookout ;)

timberwoof
01-16-2008, 08:01 PM
I've been looking for a different filter, than the K&N I have. Mark do you have a comparison chart between the S&B and K&N? If not that's cool.

AaronGTR
01-17-2008, 05:42 AM
That's great but if your running a CAI in a grand am then you don't want a paper filter. The area where the filter is gets exposed to too much rain and snow.

x2. I had an S&B cone on my CAI for a while and it didn't end up in very good shape. I'm running a K&N now. I was actually thinking of trying one of those new AEM dry filters or something similar.

lvemy3100
01-17-2008, 06:02 AM
x2. I had an S&B cone on my CAI for a while and it didn't end up in very good shape. I'm running a K&N now. I was actually thinking of trying one of those new AEM dry filters or something similar.

umm neither S&B or K&N are paper filters so I have no idea what you mean by the above statement..

Metallman56
01-17-2008, 08:06 AM
we need one of these tests for aftermarket filters. AEM, K&N, and about 10 others.

stillriza
01-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Well this whole test wasnt refering to aftermarket intakes, just a replacement filter for the stock box.

I went to a few shops (part source, canadian tire & car quest) locally last nite looking for my air box filter. The only 2 name brands among the many other cheap available for purchase were FRAM and K&N. I opted for the regular FRAM 12,000 mile filters as it was only $10 apposed to $70 for the k&n filter. None of those places stocked the airhog filters. Carquest sells thier own brand but don't know much about them.

Soon as that filter was replaced, the slugish accelleration was gone and was quite pleased with the performance gain that was once lost. For everyone who doesnt think so, changing out your dirty air filter for a new clean one does make a very noticble difference. I also replaced my PCV valve yesterday as well. Pleased so far. This will do until I am ready for a cai setup. $70 for a k&n airbox filter where i can get a whole mp racing cai for just a few $$ more is nuts!

Metallman56
01-17-2008, 10:00 AM
i dont know if anyone else has seen this thing, but at a couple of local auto parts stores they have this little k&n display. its a k&n filter vs a fram filter. what they do is you put the fram in turn on a fan, and there is a ping pong ball in cylinder that doesn't move. you turn it off, put the k&n filter in, turn it back on, and boom, the ball shoots up to the top.

i'm just shocked at these results..

stillriza
01-17-2008, 10:44 AM
That would be cool to see. Thier whole issue was that by sticking a K&N fliter, you do get the most CFM, at the compromise of particles being filtered out..where as AC delco will filter out the most particles at the cost of CFM. I'd like to be somewhere in the middle.

Metallman56
01-17-2008, 11:31 AM
ok, that makes more sense. i read the test wrong. i thought it was saying the k&n allowed the least amount of air through. ok, i'm better now. looks like Wix makes a pretty good best of both worlds filter.

Sprucegagt
01-17-2008, 01:09 PM
ok, that makes more sense. i read the test wrong. i thought it was saying the k&n allowed the least amount of air through. ok, i'm better now. looks like Wix makes a pretty good best of both worlds filter.

What it said was the K&N filter would flow the most CFM when new but would also "plug up" the quickest. The AC Delco filter wouldn't flow quite as much new, as a K&N, but would last longer before "plug up" and outflow the K&N when contamination started.

On a side note, it would of been interesting to see the results when testing conical shaped filters instead of the panel filters they used.

AaronGTR
01-17-2008, 03:38 PM
umm neither S&B or K&N are paper filters so I have no idea what you mean by the above statement..

It sure looked like paper to me. It certainly didn't look like the cotton gauze that K&N uses. Whatever it was, it didn't hold up well.

lvemy3100
01-17-2008, 03:49 PM
actually S&B uses more plys of cotton so if you were dissapointed with S&B then I dont know why you think the K&N will be better...

AaronGTR
01-17-2008, 03:50 PM
That would be cool to see. Thier whole issue was that by sticking a K&N fliter, you do get the most CFM, at the compromise of particles being filtered out..where as AC delco will filter out the most particles at the cost of CFM. I'd like to be somewhere in the middle.

:applause: exactly! (yah, someone gets it) The A/C Delco filter is by far the best for filtration and long engine life, but it's also a restriction to the airflow. The K&N doesn't filter as well but makes more power. There is always a trade-off to making power. You could probably get something in between by using a larger panel filter to increase airflow while keeping good filtration, and probably end up with air restriction somewhere in between the stock filter and a K&N. Only problem would be making something to fit the larger filter in, and space restrictions.

The biggest problem I see with all this is, if you have a CAI your choices are limited. Most of the filters that work best like the Delco don't come in cones, only panels. It would be nice if they had some published tests like this on after market cone filters. Something you could do yourself though would be to get several cone filters and test the pressure differential for each one. That would at least tell you which one flows the best, and logic would tell you that the one that flows the least should have the best filtration.

SikMindz
01-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Agreed.

All the articles I've seen (sans K&N's own) the S&B Powerstack series is a better buy than K&N.

AaronGTR
01-17-2008, 03:51 PM
actually S&B uses more plys of cotton so if you were dissapointed with S&B then I dont know why you think the K&N will be better...

Because my current K&N is in better shape than my S&B cone was when I took it off. Not saying the S&B might not be as good or better than the K&N.... just that it's not been my experience so far.

lone_wolf025
01-17-2008, 06:41 PM
I've had my S&B for a while now, and its still holding up quite well. I should probably give it it's yearly cleaning sometime this summer though...

stillriza
01-18-2008, 07:09 AM
... You could probably get something in between by using a larger panel filter to increase airflow while keeping good filtration, and probably end up with air restriction somewhere in between the stock filter and a K&N. Only problem would be making something to fit the larger filter in, and space restrictions.

The way I understand that is basically a bigger air box to let in more air?
Regardless of the size of the box, the entire ram air system would need to be modified to allow more air into the bigger box.

I was thinking, you would get more air in, if you were to open that box up a bit, or put some holes in it. I have read that some motorcycle owners do this with thier airboxes..(drill holes, or shave fins off) to open up thier boxes and then 'jet' it. I dont understand it, but I guess its a term for calibration.

So then, for our cars, drill some holes in the air box, use an ac delco filter and open up the scoops on your hood. My custom air intake.

My next mod for your exhaust. "How to achieve the performance rumble out of your stock exhuast with 2 simple holes in the muffler"

AaronGTR
01-21-2008, 07:43 AM
The way I understand that is basically a bigger air box to let in more air?
Regardless of the size of the box, the entire ram air system would need to be modified to allow more air into the bigger box.

I was thinking, you would get more air in, if you were to open that box up a bit, or put some holes in it. I have read that some motorcycle owners do this with thier airboxes..(drill holes, or shave fins off) to open up thier boxes and then 'jet' it. I dont understand it, but I guess its a term for calibration.

So then, for our cars, drill some holes in the air box, use an ac delco filter and open up the scoops on your hood. My custom air intake.

My next mod for your exhaust. "How to achieve the performance rumble out of your stock exhuast with 2 simple holes in the muffler"

Nope, the size of the openings in the air box aren't the restriction. The restriction is the stock filter. It filters better but makes more restriction since the air moves through slower. If you used a larger filter you'd spread the resistance out over a larger area, so given the same air speed and same air requirement (ie for an NA engine which pulls in a specific amount of air) you'd have less total resistance and less power loss.