How do you remove the Variable Effort Oriface? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove the Variable Effort Oriface?

mjtr21
01-17-2008, 07:37 PM
I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand AM GT and I was wondering if anybody knew how to remove the EVO components to transfer to a new power steering pump. I took the old pump out and so far I was able to take off the 2 small round clips and the electrical connector part. But I cannot get the rest of it off. All I have left to remove is a small round shaft thing and the big bolt to remove. Its the part where the pressure hose connects into. Do I need to use a socket to remove this big bolt? It is over an inch in diameter. Please and Thanks for any help.

geldartb
01-17-2008, 07:45 PM
so the pump you bought doesnt have the variable effort.
should have just bought the right pump to begin with.

mjtr21
01-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Oh I have the right pump I just have to transfer the Variable Effort Actuator over to my new one. It's just a valve that attaches onto the pump. But my trouble is with removing it. Does anybody know what size socket to use and is that how I have to remove it? Thanks.

bigstribs
01-17-2008, 08:23 PM
start putting sockets on it or use a tape measure :)

alerored04
01-17-2008, 09:28 PM
I had the same issue. I could not get a good enough grip on it with a vice grip, i cant remember how tight it was but i had to go out and buy a 30mm deep well socket to get the thing off. Im not sure if i used a breaker bar or an impact gun, it was a while ago. The socket was only like $20 at advance auto. If you buy one make sure it is deep well, a normal socket is not long enough to clear the stuff at the end of that large bolt and get down to the bolt section if you know what i mean. Good luck.

mjtr21
01-18-2008, 05:23 AM
K I got ya. I have an impact wrench so I'll use that and it should come off with that. Thanks for the help.

pontga00
01-18-2008, 06:36 AM
I went through this, we ended up using a pipe wrench...seriously

mjtr21
01-18-2008, 11:39 AM
when i do this should i take the resovoir off? because i did and it gives me better access. what is the small round shaft that sticks out? its the only reason i need a deep well socket. but how did you get it off with the pipe wrench because mine it very hard to turn. if i can find the right size i will just go to the car dealer and get the part so does anyone know how much a new EVO part will cost? thakns.

alerored04
01-18-2008, 12:03 PM
what are you talking about? Take the resevoir off and then the EVO. And yes the round part that sticks out is the reason you need a deep well. Im sure he used a vice and a pipe wrench. I did not have access to a vice so the 30mm deep and an impact did the trick. The EVO is the expensive part of a PS pump, i would not buy one.

pontga00
01-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Yeah we took the resevoir off, put the pump in a vice and then used a pipe wrench. It is very tough to get off at first, but once you get it going with the pipe wrench it comes off easily.

mjtr21
01-21-2008, 05:58 PM
okay well i did it and i tried the new pump and i had no steering assist. i bled the system and flushed the old fluid out and added new fluid and made sure the pump didnt go dry. it was up on stands and i turned the steering wheel left stop to right stop and after about 15 minutes i put it on the ground and tried turning the wheel and the steering was hard. so im guessing the EVO isnt working now. i took it off earlier and took it apart and it looks alright. but i gave up and im buying a different pump with the EVO already on it. it should be in tomorrow i will post an update. thanks for the help.