Gauges/HVAC/Fogs not Working [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gauges/HVAC/Fogs not Working

OdoyleRules69
01-25-2008, 11:41 AM
I know that everyone hates someone who doesn't do their homework and who just randomly posts expecting the answers immediately, however this is not the case.

Sadly my '99 GA was in the shop this week because a coil pack needed replaced along with the housing because of the carbon problem, but that's all behind me. I have another problem for you guys.

About a year ago I was driving my car and the gauges just decided to bounce while driving. They did the typical bounce from zero to full and back to zero then to the correct position per instrument. This would randomly happen and I wasn't necessarily concerned about it because it was so very rare. The problem became noticeably worse and at times the gauges wouldn't work at all when I would start my car. On top of this, the HVAC wouldn't work, and neither were my fog lights. I could bang on top of my dash, just above the ignition cylinder, and everything would come back to life. The longer this problem went on the worse and worse it would get. I had to start hitting my dash harder, etc etc etc. Sometimes after pounding on the dash everything would be in working order again but if I tried to turn on my HVAC from off they would immediately go out again. It almost seemed like I had some type of grounding issue, but I wasn't sure. The more and more I started to take my dash apart I found out it was most likely my ignition switch. I could wiggle the wires coming from the switch and everything would work just fine. The problem with this is that it isn't a permanent solution, because the problem is still very persistent yet very intermittent.

I know this is a common problem that the ignition switch is bad, but I don't have the $$ right now to shell out to get this fixed. I have come across some helpful information on this site as well as searching Google, but I am just looking for some positive reinforcement.

If it is the ignition switch can I just open it up to check for loose/corroded contacts? I have heard this is a big problem. If this is the case, can someone help point me in the right direction on "how to fix" the ignition switch? If not, where should I buy one from to get the best bang out of my buck.

Thanks to everyone who reads, but more importantly those who reply.

- Tim

stewartfn18
01-25-2008, 11:46 AM
loose electrical connection maybe.

Graxall
01-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Not sure if this helps you really, but im sure it will eventually...

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showpost.php?p=913474&postcount=8