Dead batt [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Dead batt

lone_wolf025
01-27-2008, 05:37 PM
I'll save the long story for those who care.

Short version: Car was driven yesterday, no issues with start, no battery light on dash. Tried to start today, no crank at all. Voltage on testing around 5pm was around 7. Voltage on testing about an hour later and we're down to about 5.5. Amperage draw from batt is about .007A. Battery charger reads battery as fully charged. Once the charger is on everything lights up bright and strong. Didn't try to start with the charger on.

So, thoughts?

Also, assuming the battery is bad how much difference price wise would an optima battery be from some other run of the mill battery?

lvemy3100
01-27-2008, 06:07 PM
check your battery terminals and all that junk first...

but as for the price diff... IIRC an Optima Yellow Top goes for about 175-225 and a standard battery will go for 50-150

cardude007617
01-27-2008, 06:10 PM
well if u dont have a system, you dont need a yellow top, so just go for the red top and those fetch like 160 i think.
or, look into this brand called DEKA. they sell a deep cycle actually for 117, and its 1000CA. if u need more info on it, ask me, i love mine already

bigstribs
01-27-2008, 06:12 PM
autozone and advance auto normally have yellows for 179 and sometimes they have them on sale for about 159 i believe......reds are about 129

Panacea
01-27-2008, 06:12 PM
You don't need a yellow top unless you've got a system. Red tops run around $130 or so. Honestly, it's not worth it. I think I picked up my red top for the GA a few years back and it was around $80-100. At that price it's worth it. I would just buy a decent battery from Autozone or some place similar. Those batteries should last at least 5-6 years and cost between $50-75.

lone_wolf025
01-27-2008, 06:36 PM
check your battery terminals and all that junk first...

but as for the price diff... IIRC an Optima Yellow Top goes for about 175-225 and a standard battery will go for 50-150

Terminals look clean on the outside...once I can actually move the thing into the garage I'll check em out.

lone_wolf025
01-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Grrr. So after having the charger sit on trickle mode for 2 hours everything magically works like nothing ever happened. I have never seen a batt charge 5 volts in two hours on trickle mode. Anyways, either my dvom is garbage (as it simply refused to give a reading) or the battery never was down that far. Regardless its at about 10/11 volts now (hard to read the old analog dvom gauge) and it starts up and runs like nothings wrong. First thing tomorrow morning its going in for a couple tests.

lone_wolf025
01-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Battery was trashed, but the mechanic seems to think it was an OEM battery, so figure it lasted about 4/5 years so I shouldn't be too surprised. Only downside is now I have to wait for it to relearn the shift points and fuel trims...

kse73
01-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Battery was trashed, but the mechanic seems to think it was an OEM battery, so figure it lasted about 4/5 years so I shouldn't be too surprised. Only downside is now I have to wait for it to relearn the shift points and fuel trims...

My Optima red top is dead at the moment too....but thats most likely because I haven't started it in awhile. Damn I need to sell that car.

It has performed well otherwise. Although I had to modify the battery tray to get it to fit. Depending on how long you plan on keeping the car. If than includes a couple more chicago winters, the red top wouldn't be a bad investment.

lone_wolf025
01-28-2008, 11:16 AM
My Optima red top is dead at the moment too....but thats most likely because I haven't started it in awhile. Damn I need to sell that car.

It has performed well otherwise. Although I had to modify the battery tray to get it to fit. Depending on how long you plan on keeping the car. If than includes a couple more chicago winters, the red top wouldn't be a bad investment.

Honestly, I don't know how long I'll be keeping it. Guess it really boils down to the finances involved. Time will tell.

kse73
01-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Honestly, I don't know how long I'll be keeping it. Guess it really boils down to the finances involved. Time will tell.

If thats the case, a red top might be a little overkill. Spend the extra dough on some Filipino hookers, instead. You'll get a longer lasting feeling of satisfaction with the "burns when I pee" sensation.

boost21
01-28-2008, 11:22 AM
If thats the case, a red top might be a little overkill. Spend the extra dough on some Filipino hookers, instead. You'll get a longer lasting feeling of satisfaction with the "burns when I pee" sensation.

lol lol

gaowners32
01-28-2008, 12:42 PM
If you lived by CT area I could get the red top for $100 bucks save your 60$ + tax

lone_wolf025
01-28-2008, 02:18 PM
lol Well my mechanic sells interstate batteries and swears by them, plus they got a 72 month warranty so I'm just going with that. Geez, with the body work, the rim, the cutout, and the battery going I hope nothing else goes...

cardude007617
01-28-2008, 03:06 PM
lol Well my mechanic sells interstate batteries and swears by them, plus they got a 72 month warranty so I'm just going with that. Geez, with the body work, the rim, the cutout, and the battery going I hope nothing else goes...

ugh interstate. i had one in my car, and it sucked teh balls. it barely started the car in colder weather...

hows a power steering pump sound? JOIN THE CLUB :D:D

lone_wolf025
01-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Heh well a new interstate battery is better than an old oem battery that reads 5 volts one hour, and 11 the next. Car still has a used car warranty, $200 deduct IIRC so I'm golden for anything like the pump going :D

onesexyga
01-28-2008, 05:50 PM
I thought about going red top when my battery went. I ended up going with a diehard. Just wasnt worth the cost for me. Thing starts the car fine at 20 below, and thats good enough for me.