High moisture inside trunk? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : High moisture inside trunk?

Reverend
01-29-2008, 04:35 PM
I just opened the trunk of my GA and the trunk lid inside surface was dripping water. It has been cold here (Ohio) and this was a day above freezing. Water was dripping off the trunk lid and soaking everything inside the trunk. Is this a common problem in these cars or do I have a water leak somewhere. I never noticed a moisture problem in there before. But I do not use the trunk that much.

stillriza
01-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Could be a seal towards the end of the trunk where the hinges/ spring is. Sounds like water may have leaked in there somehow and froze in the last ffew days due to the low temps...then when it warmed up..simply just melted off and into your trunk.

Could also just be some ice got in there.

Graxall
01-29-2008, 04:40 PM
I just opened the trunk of my GA and the trunk lid inside surface was dripping water. It has been cold here (Ohio) and this was a day above freezing. Water was dripping off the trunk lid and soaking everything inside the trunk. Is this a common problem in these cars or do I have a water leak somewhere. I never noticed a moisture problem in there before. But I do not use the trunk that much.

I would check the sealant strips around your trunk, pop that sucker, and on the actual car itself, there should be a black liner, kinda like the black thing that goes around your door to keep water out, look for rips, holes ect in that.

You dont really wanna get your trunk wet, that spare tire cover is like plexiwood and will prolly warp the hell out of it...

cardude007617
01-29-2008, 04:46 PM
not too be an obvious ******* but i dont think there are any parts inside your car that should get wet really.... lol

but ya, defintely check the seals, could just be condensation too... or was it too much for that

WeibSunder
01-29-2008, 05:21 PM
When I had my GA I had problems with trunk moisture.

The 1st problem was that the little thin piece of metal below your back glass that the seal rests on was bent a little, it let water in. I bent it back, and fixed it. Then I had another problem with moisture, thought it was the same thing...nope. This time I put a thin bead of clear silicone around the outer and inner parts of the black seal, never had another moisture problem from then on.

Graxall
01-29-2008, 05:27 PM
When I had my GA I had problems with trunk moisture.

The 1st problem was that the little thin piece of metal below your back glass that the seal rests on was bent a little, it let water in. I bent it back, and fixed it. Then I had another problem with moisture, thought it was the same thing...nope. This time I put a thin bead of clear silicone around the outer and inner parts of the black seal, never had another moisture problem from then on.

Yea im like 95% sure its prolly the weather stripping stuff. All it is, is a peice of sh!t rubber condom like thing...and we know those things dont work all the time!

nate2023
01-29-2008, 06:18 PM
was there ice in the back window and maybe you closed some in the seal allowing water to pass by it, i've never had a problem with moisture in the trunk

Reverend
01-29-2008, 06:28 PM
The rubber seal looked good, no cracks I could see. Will look closer in the daylight. I got this thing last summer (June) so I have not experienced these temps before with this car. When I got this, the spare tire cover was missing. It has a piece of plywood in there now. So maybe the previous owner had that problem and it ruined the cover. Who knows. I am giving this thing to my son in a few weeks.
Thanks!

pauljs75
01-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Don't forget seals around the tail lights, or even that antenna. (Provided the back window seals and trunk gaskets are ok.) Another thing to watch out for is any slush/snow that may slide down and into your trunk when its opened. May not seem like much, but you could be suprised. Especially if it happens more than once and adds up.

For the short term, towel up what water there is and get a silica gel (dessicant) bucket from a hardware store. Should cover you until you figure out the problem and the appropriate fix.

ryanbgb22
01-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Ive had this problem since I got the car and I cannot figure out wtf is going on. First thing that could cause the moisture is actually having water in your trunk. Check the spare tire compartment, there is a good chance you will find a pond. If you do, it is likely that the vent behind the carpeting is leaking. Also, I found on my car that I had a leak on the outside of the weather stripping, where 2 pieces of metal come together, about 2 inches above the taillights, where the plastic piece ends. Everytime it rained, my truck leaked like you wouldnt believe.

Panacea
01-31-2008, 07:07 AM
The black tabs that held the cargo net broke on my car and those caused a hole that went through to the outside. It let water in when it rained and stuff. Check that out.

onesexyga
01-31-2008, 07:16 AM
I just noticed you have a 96. If its anything like my 93, good luck. Mine leaked so bad I ended up getting rid of the car. The doors, trunk, and firewall all leaked. So much water got in my trunk that I actually had a sheet of ice filling my spare tire well in the winter. Trunk may have been fixable, but the firewall sealant was broken down and the entirely thing leaked, pretty much beyond repair. I'd keep an eye out for water in the front footwells, particularly on the passenger's side.

spun
05-14-2008, 09:20 PM
I have a 2001 Grand Am. Ever since I've owned it, the trunk has leaked. I haven't noticed any interior leaks yet, as many other people have. Today I checked the black weather-stripping seal...the whole thing looked fine. I went to the store and bought some clear Liquid Nails sealant. I went all around the black seal on both sides and each side of the trunk, on the metal body (under the lid), has two seams. I sealed those as well and all the way around my tail lights. I hope this works.

Does anyone else have any advice? This is driving me nuts. It smells like mildew in the trunk. I can't put anything of any importance in it...I'd sell the car but I just invested about $800 in tune-up, etc, and replacing the intake manifold gasket.

Another question..I have a subwoofer in the trunk in a band-pass box. The amp is mounted on the side of the sub, so really, no wires are in the water. But what about the box? I'm sure its ruined...What about the trunk carpet, etc? How do I even go about replacing that if I did fix the leak?

Any help is appreciated...I'm ready to drive this car off a cliff.

rreite2233
07-11-2008, 07:34 PM
I have a 2001 Grand Am. Ever since I've owned it, the trunk has leaked. I haven't noticed any interior leaks yet, as many other people have. Today I checked the black weather-stripping seal...the whole thing looked fine. I went to the store and bought some clear Liquid Nails sealant. I went all around the black seal on both sides and each side of the trunk, on the metal body (under the lid), has two seams. I sealed those as well and all the way around my tail lights. I hope this works.

Does anyone else have any advice? This is driving me nuts. It smells like mildew in the trunk. I can't put anything of any importance in it...I'd sell the car but I just invested about $800 in tune-up, etc, and replacing the intake manifold gasket.

Another question..I have a subwoofer in the trunk in a band-pass box. The amp is mounted on the side of the sub, so really, no wires are in the water. But what about the box? I'm sure its ruined...What about the trunk carpet, etc? How do I even go about replacing that if I did fix the leak?

Any help is appreciated...I'm ready to drive this car off a cliff.

Do you have a wing on the trunk? My '04 GAGT had a leak a few years back and the dealership couldn't figure out squat. They blamed my wife for 'spilling water in the trunk and not telling me about it" ... good ol' Washington DC customer service for ya ...

I checked the bolts that hold the wing to the trunk lid and sure enough there was mold on the bolts. I bought a custom gasket, trimmed it to size, put it on the outside between the wing and trunk. Then put some silicon sealant on the bolt hole, cranked it back down. My trunk hasn't leaked since summer of 2005.