PLEASE add rules to the "For Sale" [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE add rules to the "For Sale"

DrFabulous
01-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Not that I'm even interested in buying the stuff anymore, but it's frustrating as hell to look at some of these listings. I suggest we REQUIRE the following in a For Sale thread:
1- Pictures
2- A piece of paper with the date, username, and "www.grandamgt.com" on it, included in one of the pictures with the item
3- A price. This isn't ebay or ioffer, let people know what you want.

And I seriously think that failure to do these things within 24 hours of thread creation results in the thread being locked. Multiple infractions will result in warning points.

Hell, I'm even willing to police this stuff (as much as I can) myself. It will make doing transactions on gagt.com much better.

lone_wolf025
01-29-2008, 10:48 PM
The price is iffy. Sometimes you don't have a set price or you want to get some offers to see what its worth.

geldartb
01-29-2008, 10:50 PM
i agree
many people put stuff up for sale without pics. i know i like to see what im buying before i buy it.

dont know about number 2

yeah a price is a must. sometimes i just throw it up with a price or with a price i want and or best offer.

but if your selling pics are a must.

GMMike
01-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Yea I strongly agree with rule 1- I want to see the condition of the item you are selling don't just describe it in words.

Also with 3- At least put something down because on some items I have no idea what they go for.

With 2- Not fully understand that one. It is with trust?

Lab Rat
01-30-2008, 05:40 AM
Prices are pretty easy to come up with. Most JY's will sell used for 1/2 retail. I have been going with about 1/2 of that for fellow members. Now if it's in perfect shape and/or a very sought after item that could demand a higher price.

And pictures should be manditory. My $.02.

Bryan
01-30-2008, 06:14 AM
I agree on most of it, it could definitely prevent us from being ripped off.

DrFabulous
01-30-2008, 06:44 AM
I'll give an example for rule #2- this is from another board I frequent, and I stole these rules straight from them :heh:

Asking $45 shipped to the US

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b247/DrFabulous26/grill1.jpg

SSRacer
01-30-2008, 06:53 AM
So I'm guessing that rule #2 is to prove that the picture is of the part you are selling, not a picture you found online of the same part.

DrFabulous
01-30-2008, 07:02 AM
So I'm guessing that rule #2 is to prove that the picture is of the part you are selling, not a picture you found online of the same part.

Pretty much. It's not that much to ask, and it makes the buyer feel MUCH more comfortable about the transaction.

iceman
01-30-2008, 08:48 AM
I like it. If you are willing to put the time in like you said I have no issues.

DrFabulous
01-30-2008, 09:03 AM
I like it. If you are willing to put the time in like you said I have no issues.

I will certainly be willing to invest time into making this place better for all of us, instead of just flapping my lips.

ryanbgb22
01-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Its a good idea. Also be sure that everyone uses FS: WTB: GI: in their titles, there's been quite a few without that lately, There also needs to be more control on off topicness/ discussion in the FS threads.

notsoaveragej0e
01-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Does this mean teh fab is going to be teh moderator?!

I agree with the OP, and at least throwing out a ballpark for price.

Ajaxus
01-30-2008, 11:50 AM
good rule ideas

I will certainly be willing to invest time into making this place better for all of us, instead of just flapping my lips.

uhhh..

DrFabulous
01-30-2008, 12:46 PM
uhhh..

Not that I won't do my fair share of bullsh!tting or anything.... I just feel that I could certainly donate some of my time to the board

SikMindz
01-30-2008, 12:51 PM
That's fine and dandy Matt but GL in trying to enforce it and have any transactions made. I already mod the section ;) - 60-70% of all threads would disappear as a result of #1 and #2 would pretty much kill off the rest of them. lol

For users who really want to sell they're already compliant with these rules as generally it's common sense to be as informative as possible. I personally feel that it should be between those who are making the transaction- if someone really wants it or wants to sell it they'll make sure to be as efficient as possible.

I'll try and go through the threads regularly and rename with FS/WTD/GI but that's the best I can do. In response to ryangb22 and I guess as a general comment to all, as moderators we don't go through every single thread posted. UTILIZE THE REPORT POST BUTTON and it'll make things a little bit smoother IMO- we can't fix what we don't necessarily see as an issue. ;)

DrFabulous
01-30-2008, 12:56 PM
That's fine and dandy Matt but GL in trying to enforce it and have any transactions made. I already mod the section ;) - 60-70% of all threads would disappear as a result of #1 and #2 would pretty much kill off the rest of them. lol

For users who really want to sell they're already compliant with these rules as generally it's common sense to be as informative as possible. I personally feel that it should be between those who are making the transaction- if someone really wants it or wants to sell it they'll make sure to be as efficient as possible.

I'm not asking to be a mod.... I'm just saying that I really think that if anyone wants to use this site to buy/sell, there should be more rules. And if enforcing rules makes the number of transactions go down, then fine. Quality over quantity.

DrFabulous
01-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Sik (and other mods).... please don't take this as a shot at you guys. This place can be a bitch to moderate, and I think you guys do a fine job. I'm just suggesting a few things I've seen work well on other boards.

SikMindz
01-30-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm not. Just saying that even though I mod the section I don't read through every single one unless something looks out of place. It's up to users to report things. ;)

DrFabulous
01-30-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm not. Just saying that even though I mod the section I don't read through every single one unless something looks out of place. It's up to users to report things. ;)

Understandable. I'll try and help you out then. :kiss:

silvergtjrad
01-30-2008, 03:56 PM
I dont agree with having the rules. You are buying and selling at your own risk. Unless the site is willing to take legal responsibility if I get ripped off, Id rather not have the rules.

You should have enough common sense to figure out that it is unreasonable to send someone $500 for an item, if they are unknown to anyone here, or refuse to post a pic when asked.

I have done at least $2k worth of buying and selling from members of this site, and havent had a problem with anyone yet.

KhellendrosxS
01-30-2008, 04:19 PM
I think if this forum was something as big as the LSX boards where there are too many people to keep track of with lots of expensive parts changing hands this would be a good system.

From what Ive seen most of the scamers are outed right away by people so it really isnt that big an issue (proving you have the stuff). I do like the format idea though and think it would go a long way to suggest top people to put pictures in the OP so we dont have to try to judge somethings quality by a sentence worth of description.

Ajaxus
01-30-2008, 04:39 PM
I think if this forum was something as big as the LSX boards where there are too many people to keep track of with lots of expensive parts changing hands this would be a good system.

From what Ive seen most of the scamers are outed right away by people so it really isnt that big an issue (proving you have the stuff). I do like the format idea though and think it would go a long way to suggest top people to put pictures in the OP so we dont have to try to judge somethings quality by a sentence worth of description.

The ones that have been "outed" on here, as you put it, were done AFTER ripping people off.

This system could prevent that from even happening.

2002GT
01-30-2008, 04:44 PM
#2 rule sucks, but #1 & #3 is good to go.

PhantomLover007
01-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Sounds like a plan to me. Not too sure of what rule 2 would do, but rule 1 would be a definite plus, although alot of folks that do sell/trade stuff do post pics. It's a good start. Rule 3, ehh, yeah, it would be nice to know what the price of something would be before I try to buy it. Folks tend to haggle w/ the sellers anyway by PM to see if they will lower the prices or others will offer a better deal than the one haggleling and then.

Just my 2 cents worth.

WeibSunder
01-30-2008, 06:58 PM
The imposed new rules sounds like a great thing to do.

You have my vote.

DrFabulous
01-30-2008, 10:13 PM
For the people that don't agree at all.... part of the reason would be to try and prevent this place from becoming a dumping ground to try and sell things. Not that it's a huge issue now, but if someone doesn't want to take the time to come up with some decent pictures of the actual item, prove that they own it, and come up with a ballpark price, why the hell should they get to use our board to get rid of their crap?

DrFabulous
02-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Did this kinda just go by the wayside? :(

DrFabulous
04-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Bumpppp

Am I the only one that thinks the F/S area should be for people that are serious? There are waaayyyy too many threads in there with either little or no information and no pictures. Its a waste of time, waste of space, and a detriment to people that are actually looking to buy/trying to sell.

tonySE1
04-22-2008, 08:20 PM
I agree with it too. They don't have to all be enforced but some guidelines would be nice.

Min reqs should be at least 2 pictures, and a price. If they don't know the price they want, but a round about price and say "or B/O". The sign in the picture adds some peace of mind to buyers, but I don't think it should be 100% necessary.

SikMindz
04-23-2008, 01:50 AM
There are guidelines- buy and sell at your own risk.

Imposing any guidelines would heavily decrease traffic in the section period. If the seller cannot provide pictures then it is up to the interested party to make sure that the sale is legit.

We are providing an open forum for members to sell their wares much like eBay or Craigslist- neither of the aforementioned requires much from the sellers. All they provide is virtual space for people to hawk their stuff. Pictures neither verify that a seller is trustworthy nor actually going to send said product. If they're not willing to put forth the effort than whatever interest they receive, whether is is a lot or a little, is purely a reflection of their ad. Plain and simple.

Lastly, and I don't mean this maliciously but I have seen ZERO increase in reports of FS posts that do not meet the original criteria. You guys had mentioned that you would report posts that seemed fishy or needed help yet I have yet to see that.

simply an observation.

DrFabulous
04-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Ok, I'll start reporting them instead of contacting the sellers. No prob.

DrFabulous
07-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Can we at least get something that requires pictures and a price? I would report some of this stuff, but it's not technically violating rules until we make it a rule that they need prices/pics.

I don't think its really an issue of scammers, just an issue of a thread being posted and then 35 replies asking for pics/prices

notsoaveragej0e
07-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Can we at least get something that requires pictures and a price? I would report some of this stuff, but it's not technically violating rules until we make it a rule that they need prices/pics.

I don't think its really an issue of scammers, just an issue of a thread being posted and then 35 replies asking for pics/prices

I agree with this. LS2GTO.com has a very good system- if you don't post an EXACT PRICE and pictures within like... 24hours, the thread gets deleted, no questions asked. That also keeps people from trying to treat F/S threads like an auction.

DrFabulous
07-21-2008, 09:37 AM
I agree with this. LS2GTO.com has a very good system- if you don't post an EXACT PRICE and pictures within like... 24hours, the thread gets deleted, no questions asked. That also keeps people from trying to treat F/S threads like an auction.

I've seen it on several boards, works well. I'm just going to keep posting in peoples sale threads if they don't have prices/pictures

Ajaxus
07-21-2008, 10:59 AM
I'll back you on this..

boost21
07-21-2008, 11:05 AM
x3

hidplanet is the same way

price
pix
something proving its yours (sign w date n s/n)

Might be a pain but it works and eliminates most deadbeat sellers.

Jeremy
07-21-2008, 11:12 AM
I've tweaked the guidelines a little bit. we're not REQUIRING pictures, etc, but noted that it does help prove legitimacy of the listing.

2002GT
07-21-2008, 12:22 PM
I agree with:

Product
Price
Picture

Although, I don't think the picture should have proof of the name.

notsoaveragej0e
07-21-2008, 12:57 PM
I agree with:

Product
Price
Picture

Although, I don't think the picture should have proof of the name.

hahahaha where the hell is your sig from lol

EDIT- lulzzz just read the thread... that's hilarious.

DrFabulous
07-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I've tweaked the guidelines a little bit. we're not REQUIRING pictures, etc, but noted that it does help prove legitimacy of the listing.

Werd thanks Jer

silvergtjrad
07-21-2008, 09:16 PM
REQUIRING pictures would be insane. Have you seen my part out thread? lol
Ive got no problem posting them if they are requested, but sometimes its just not necessary

Ajaxus
07-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Ive got no problem posting them if they are requested, but sometimes its just not necessary

Man up and post 'em all, lol

DrFabulous
07-22-2008, 10:29 AM

Personally..... unless the member has been on here a long time and I kinda "know" them, there is no way I'd buy something online without seeing pictures. And if someone is selling it and I have to bug them for pictures, how serious are they? In your case, you could take a picture of some/most of the parts, even if it's a picture of a bunch of stuff on the floor.

Bottom line is that pictures and a price will not only spark more interest from sellers, it will make sellers appear more credible and motivated to sell.