car stalls when put in gear HELP [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car stalls when put in gear HELP

awfulwaffle
01-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Alright, so last night we had a very cold night with a lot of wind. When i got outside this morning to go to school, it was -4 with a windchill of -25 to -30. Wonderful.
After barely prying my driver's side door open, i was happy to finally get inside away from the wind. I started the car up, and it turned over just fine. As soon as i put it into reverse however, it just stalled on me. I don't know if this is cold related or not, but I have NEVER had the car do anything like this to me. Anyone know what this may be? I have no other way to get to school except walking, and I'd sure as hell rather not have to do that.
thanks in advance for any help

nate2023
01-30-2008, 09:08 AM
did you let it warm up for a little while?

DrFabulous
01-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah, let the car warm up a good while before driving it.

juanvan
01-30-2008, 10:06 AM
-4 if your not blowing heat, don't move the car

SSRacer
01-30-2008, 10:29 AM
That cold you may want to invest in a block heater.

awfulwaffle
01-30-2008, 10:44 AM
yeah i did warm it up to about 150 degrees. but even the cold shouldn't just make it stall, should it?

nickofcourse
02-02-2008, 09:35 PM
ive started my car and quickly put it in gear and ive had it stall on me. i let it run for about 10 seconds now instead of quickly putting it in gear.

awfulwaffle
02-03-2008, 04:55 PM
new problem now, for those still following the thread. I was driving along, something in the tranny clanked, then clicked for a while, then went away.
Next time i started the car up, the tranny started slipping like no other. Sometimes it will stay in a gear until redline and not shift, sometimes it'll shift into gear only to disengage the gear right when i give it gas, sometimes it'll shift just fine, and sometimes it'll hunt for gears.
Reeks of what i'm assuming is burning tranny fluid, and I had smoke pouring out from under the hood on the way to get it home.
Just great. Extended warranty should cover it though...