P0300 after HID kit installed [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : P0300 after HID kit installed

xeneizes
01-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Hello, i recently installed a HID kit to my Grand AM gt 2004, after 5 days with them the SES light came up. I went to the local autozone and the scanner showed code P0300.

Could it be caused by the HID kit or just by coincidence that something went wrong with my car? I dont have the DRL's disabled or anything like that, except for the lights everything is stock.

Thank You

ryanbgb22
01-31-2008, 09:30 PM
Yes the light is from the hids. You need to disable drl's. You will burn out the ballasts sooo fast if you dont b/c your putting low power to them, and their trying to turn on but they cant.

DrFabulous
01-31-2008, 10:05 PM
Yes the light is from the hids. You need to disable drl's. You will burn out the ballasts sooo fast if you dont b/c your putting low power to them, and their trying to turn on but they cant.

werd

xeneizes
02-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Well, the hid kit works good, i mean they dont blink or anything. The problem is that i got the SES light and the scanner throwed P0300, i just wnat to know if it has to do something with the HID kit or my car really needs service.

ryanbgb22
02-01-2008, 10:20 AM
As I just said YES the code is from your hid kit. Like I said, if you dont do the drl fix, you WILL burn out your ballasts VERY quickly.

timka86
02-01-2008, 10:24 AM
again, disable the DRL's. you pay attention to the lights during the day? Not at night. At night, ALC (Automatic light control) turns on your headlights, they get full power, during the day the headlights are on too, but they get about half power, it's called (DRL - Daytime Running Lights) HID's dont' like half power. and it's causing disruption to your electrical system. just like ryanbgb22 said above.

and if it is a coincidence (possible I suppose) you'll still fry your ballasts/bulbs faster then normal.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17559&highlight=DRL+disable

you have an 04 GA so it's probably slightly different to disable them, different wires most likely, read that thread, should be somewhere in there.

I have 00' and did that mod, and the ALC mod and it works great now, and it was easy.

xeneizes
02-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the answers guys.

I read this and i just wanted to make sure if the DRL's are disabled that easily on my car, or if i need to do something else:

03-04 model Grand Am

No DRLs
Pull DRL #22 relay (located in the under hood fuse panel) (SO SIMPLE! - Byte)

ALC bypass
1.) Remove the ambient light sensor under the dash defrost grill.

2.) Put a 10ohm resistor in place of ambient light sensor.

Thanks Again!

AaronGTR
02-01-2008, 09:56 PM
As I just said YES the code is from your hid kit. Like I said, if you dont do the drl fix, you WILL burn out your ballasts VERY quickly.

eh, wrong.

Yes, the HID's might burn out if he doesn't disable the DRL's, and yes they might cause a light on the dash... but it would be a SVS light (service vehicle soon) not a SES light (service engine soon). That's because the headlights are controlled by the body control module, not the powertrain control module. Two totally different computers. The code he is getting P0300 is a powertrain code for "engine misfire detected".

ryanbgb22
02-01-2008, 10:50 PM
eh, wrong.

Yes, the HID's might burn out if he doesn't disable the DRL's, and yes they might cause a light on the dash... but it would be a SVS light (service vehicle soon) not a SES light (service engine soon). That's because the headlights are controlled by the body control module, not the powertrain control module. Two totally different computers. The code he is getting P0300 is a powertrain code for "engine misfire detected".

My bad i missed the "E". I bet he was actually refering to a SVS light though anyway.