low coolant light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : low coolant light

stewartfn18
02-01-2008, 04:38 PM
ok ive searched but cant come up with an answer. My problem is this, I recently did my LIM gaskets(2 months ago) because i had a low coolant light. For the first month and half, it was fine. But its on again now. Ive noticed though, that it only ison when my engine is cold, (I.E. less than 100 degrees), but once it warms up, it goes off. Its not overheating or anything, still runs less than 200 all the time (even when not driving) any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

stillriza
02-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Did you actually check the coolant level?

I had the light come on for me..my coolant was low and seemed contaminated, so I had a coolant flush done. I used to only get the light when just starting the car and when going up or down hill.

Take a look at the coolant level in your tank. Look around and see if there is any gunk in that tank as well, if there is...you will need to have it flushed.

Another possibility is your sensor may be dirty and needs a cleaning or replacement all together.

stewartfn18
02-01-2008, 05:36 PM
i have looked in the tank and found a little gunk in there. could that be the reason? it shoudnt be low, i filled the tank after i did the LIM gasket change. that was only 2 months ago. i was leaning toward the sensor being bad but i wanted other opinions.

Ajaxus
02-01-2008, 06:10 PM
what's the condition of the cap? I kept getting the light and the level dropping randomly till I replaced my cap..problem solved.

stewartfn18
02-01-2008, 06:19 PM
what's the condition of the cap? I kept getting the light and the level dropping randomly till I replaced my cap..problem solved.

with what? like it losing pressure or something?

stewartfn18
02-01-2008, 10:55 PM
anyone else can feel free to chime in on what this probem could be.
UPDATE: I was driving home from work and the light didnt come on right away like it normally does. However, it did com on when the engine was warm between 2k and 3k rpms, but then quickley went off. this is leading me to beleaive this is a sensor rathar than a leak. What are your guys thoughts?

hass
02-01-2008, 11:02 PM
My car did this when I first got it [it had 89k on it]
It did it whenever I would leave home, the very first cold start of the day.
It would come on when I got one street away from the house... then shut off about 10 seconds later.

It did it for about 2-3 weeks, then it hasn't done it since.
Strange really..

But yeah, the cap on the engine coolant may not seal properly.
and since our engine coolant is a pressurized system... It would allow the coolant to get sucked down right. [or let it flow through, or something like that]
So picking one up at a scrapyard or from a dealer may help if your cap looks a little cruddy.

PhantomLover007
02-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Heater core leak? IDK

stewartfn18
02-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Heater core leak? IDK

idk what the heater core is. is it for the HVAC system?
i might just check the cap then cuz Hass is the second person to suggest it, plus its the cheapest.

stewartfn18
04-01-2008, 05:11 AM
ok. soooo, i recently figured out that this is leak from doing the lower intake and this is my fault. i didnt put enough rtv down when i did it last time cuz i was in a rush to get it done. This time im gonna do it the right way and take my time. What i have so far is the felpro gasket set, mobil 1 oil, acdelco oil filter and gatorback belt(77000 on the oem one). besides coolant am i missing anything parts wise?

Also for the coolant i want opinions. Would i be better to use the green stuff or dexcool. Also i found a little gunk in the coolant tank. Would it behoove me to take that out and give it a good cleaning?
Anybody that chimes in I will answer with a pre-emtive thanks.

EDIT: i just saw the how to. but i still want opinions about the coolant questions.