fuel tank strap..... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank strap.....

614GT95GA
02-05-2008, 02:03 PM
today im changin my fuel pump and i got one tank strap off, then when i got to the other one.....the bolt is rusted to nut and there is no room to put a wrench or anything up there to hold the nut. The bolt just free spins and i stick my fingers behind it(basically all the room i have up there) and can feel the rust built up over it. What can i do about this?? whats the easiest way to break the bolt off, so i can just replace the bolt and nut.......i dont wanna have to replace the strap(if i break it) and i dnt think its to safe to grind the bolt off(considering the gas tank is right there....) can i slightly crush my tank in with my jack and try and wiggle the tank out of the strap??? PLEASE HELP!!!!

SSRacer
02-05-2008, 02:19 PM
I would advise against any "modification" to the tank itself. Load the bolt up with WD40 and let it sit. Then get a cheap wrench and bend it so you can get it there you need it. I say cheap because a good name brand wrench will not bend very easy, trust me, I've had to do it in the past.

alerored04
02-05-2008, 02:46 PM
I have found PB blaster to work better than WD-40. Either way try something along those lines first. Other than that im not sure what to tell you.

silvergtjrad
02-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Cut through the bolt and put a new one on! Id try some PB blaster, or any penetrating lubricant first though.

614GT95GA
02-05-2008, 04:07 PM
any suggestions on whats the best way to cut it off??

silvergtjrad
02-05-2008, 04:26 PM
I dont know how much room you have to get at it, but a hacksaw is probably the most narrow tool you can use to get at it. A cutoff wheel or bolt cutters will work as well.

stewartfn18
02-05-2008, 06:20 PM
I dont know how much room you have to get at it, but a hacksaw is probably the most narrow tool you can use to get at it. A cutoff wheel or bolt cutters will work as well.

dont those create sparks. By the gas tank probably wouldnt be the best for that.