Heres a PLEASANT Sound. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Heres a PLEASANT Sound.

KJMach
02-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Took my dads car for a drive discovering the ABS system makes a really nice noise. The pedal also feels really great, just like the sound.. (sarcasm) He says its been doing that.... i dont even thing the brakes are working when the abs system kicks in... but with all the lights bells and whistles that car has im sure it would let us know!! Any idears??

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/wassup12887/th_MOV00009.jpg (http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/wassup12887/?action=view&current=MOV00009.flv)

WeibSunder
02-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Maybe your ABS is messed up. Take it to Auto Zone and get them to run a diagnostic.

Is your car throwing the SES light?

KJMach
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
nope car is not throwing any codes. No SES or lights of any other are on. Except for the "Change Oil" and the "Low Trac"

Malaclypse
02-07-2008, 10:57 PM
My bet is on a bad wheel speed sensor or speed sensor harness.

Erratic speed readings will cause the ABS to activate randomly.

KJMach
02-08-2008, 10:28 AM
My bet is on a bad wheel speed sensor or speed sensor harness.

Erratic speed readings will cause the ABS to activate randomly.

Its not actually activating randomly, im making it activate by stomping the brakes, by then the pedal comes back up and goes stiff like a board crunches grinds ect. even with 2 feet i cant press it down all the way with it kicked in. In my truck when my abs is active, i slam the pedal down and hold it and i can feel the pulsation of the pedal.

WeibSunder
02-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Its not actually activating randomly, im making it activate by stomping the brakes, by then the pedal comes back up and goes stiff like a board crunches grinds ect. even with 2 feet i cant press it down all the way with it kicked in. In my truck when my abs is active, i slam the pedal down and hold it and i can feel the pulsation of the pedal.

Maybe that's your problem right there. There is no need to "slam" a brake pedal unless it's an extreme emergency. Good way to cause an accident or wreck yourself.

cardude007617
02-08-2008, 06:17 PM
i dont know, sounds pretty normal to me... maybe you just dont know how abs sounds/works right

KJMach
02-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Its prolly normal then if you think so. Our old grand am make some noises to, but not as much as this. Myaybe thats the different between rear drum and rear wheel disc. My trucks' ABS is very quiet since its only rear wheel abs, and that could be why im thinking this isnt normal. Thanks guys.

Mike Jung
02-11-2008, 07:46 AM
I don't know...

My '99 GASE (with rear drum brakes) does not make that much noise with the ABS system activated.
I usually notice it is activated by the LOW TRAC light lighting up on the dash.

It actually makes less noise than my mom's '98 Pontiac Sunfire GT.
That thing is kind of rough & pulsates the brake pedal; when the ABS system activates.

Panacea
02-11-2008, 08:13 AM
My wifes alero sounds similar to that. I like to test the ABS on the cars I drive when it's snowy out, that way I know the cars stopping ability. My '99 GA never sounded like that, but my wifes '02 Alero does. I don't know if it's the ABS system of that year or maybe the brake pads and/or rotors.

hass
02-11-2008, 03:51 PM
My car sounds like that a little bit.
When I hit the pedal really hard it it sounds like it groans rather loud.
That's normal :>
It's Supposed to do that.
it's gripping/ungripping really fast.

but that one post you made about not being able to put the pedal down makes me think it's something different.
totally different ;D

blazingerbs
02-11-2008, 05:49 PM
i know what you mean, you can 'feel' the sound in the brake pedal.
i know i have driven a few vehicles that feel the exact same way when the abs are being used. im pretty sure its doing what its suppost to do

lone_wolf025
02-11-2008, 06:08 PM
My understanding is that when the abs kicks in the pedal should fall. If you CAN'T move it, that means the fluid from the master is being blocked. Something doesn't seem right as if the ABS kicks in you should be able to push the pedal down to the floor :/

Malaclypse
02-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Actually the pedal should remain firm when ABS is active on GM vehicles. The master cylinder has to maintain pressure on the system for ABS to functuion properly in the first place.

KJMach
02-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Actually the pedal should remain firm when ABS is active on GM vehicles. The master cylinder has to maintain pressure on the system for ABS to functuion properly in the first place.
Oh its firm alright haha. I guess its normal then. It sounds terrible but i guess its working properly. This is basically what i was doing was just hitting the brakes hard a slow speeds on my unplowed side roads just seeing how it was stopping.