annoying noise please help! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : annoying noise please help!

thormxkid
02-09-2008, 11:47 PM
i have a 2003 grand am gt with 100, 000kms and i've been having a hummming noise from what sounds like the right front...i have replaced wheel bearings and rotated tires and still have the noise....it sounds like tire hummm to discribe it.....and when i go over 140km so what 80mph? i get vibrations threw the wheel... it get worse the faster i go....i've never had it do this before...im sure it's happened gradualy but i just notice about a month ago....so please help...and i have searched the forums for answers but have not found a answer that covers these questions....so any help would be nice....thanks

Elderas
02-10-2008, 02:48 PM
do u have rims?

some tires get noisy at high speeds.

Mike Jung
02-10-2008, 03:03 PM
I had this symptom, once...

It turned out to be bad/loose tie rods.

Becareful driving if it is, & get it replaced ASAP !!!

thormxkid
02-13-2008, 01:25 PM
sorry i forgot to mention that the noise starts at 35 mph and countunes to get loud as i go faster and the noise get quiter when i turn the wheel to the right

SSRacer
02-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Jack the car up and try to move the wheel left and right by hand. If you can move it get your tie rod end replaced.

thormxkid
02-14-2008, 04:23 PM
ok thanks i'll try that this weekend

thormxkid
02-16-2008, 07:20 PM
hey i just changed my tie rods the vibration is now gone but....still got the hummm i've rotated tires before so i don't think it could be them so im guessing that the only thing it could be is a warpped rotor...the only thing is i don't feel anything through the pedal so i don't knoe....could it still be just a warpped rotor???

if any one has any ideas let me knoe...if it is a rotor im just ganna buy new rims and new brakes....prolly end up doing the corrvette brake swap...i've always wanted to have them!!

thormxkid
02-19-2008, 03:33 PM
anyone?????

Bryan
02-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Possible wheel bearing?

Andretti
02-23-2008, 02:31 PM
It's obviously the bearing. Find out what side it is and replace it. Do the same thing the other guy said about tie rod ends but buy a bearing insted. If you can move it the bearing has play and thats why you hear the humming. The wheel movement is from the tire slightly speed wobbling down the road. Let us know how that works out for you.

BenGTH.O.
02-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Def not the brake rotor. That would only cause a vibration in the brake pedal during braking and possibly make the vehicle pull to on side. Jack up the car and start it, put it in gear. If the noise goes away, then its the tires. If the noise is still there, when you turn left and it gets louder then its the right side bearing. Turn left and it gets quiter then its the left side bearing.

thormxkid
02-24-2008, 02:53 PM
ok hears the update i have replaced the following in the last 2 weeks

new wheel bearing.
new tie rod ends.
new rotors and pads.
new rims and tires.

and hears the problem, i have got rid of the shake, but still have the hummmmm...
it starts at 35 mph and continues as i increase speed...so any other idea cause everything i can think of has been replaced.

LukeL
02-25-2008, 05:12 AM
A humming sound is usually something that is rotating off balance.

I know this sounds nuts but it could be the power steering pump pulley. There is a weep hole on the bottom of the pump by design. This lets coolant out of the pump right onto the bearing shaft which breaks down the thrust bearings.

I had this same problem a year ago. I replaced the power steering pump itself and the noise went away. Just a thought.

Also, speed increases....RPMs increase.....pulley spins faster....humming gets worse. Have someone rev the engine and see if it is in fact the power steering pump. It may not be but start looking at pulleys on the serpentine belt. Alt, idler pulley, AC Compressor...

baker07
02-25-2008, 06:05 AM
are your new tires n rims balanced?