blower not working. read this [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : blower not working. read this

blazingerbs
02-10-2008, 11:06 AM
about 5 months ago i replaced the blower motor resistor so i could have all speeds work. worked like a charm until a few weeks ago i take car through a wash (-20C). i think when i left my car overnight, some water leaked in the hvac intake and froze the cage to the blower OR something electrical got wet, when i drove away that night it was dark. my headlights were automatically on and they turned themselves OFF about 3 minutes after i got out of the wash. i had to turn them on at the switch.
the next morning my dusk sensor is working good but my blower isnt working, not even a whisper. its still -20C i think it might be frozen but i have nowhere to let it warm up. check fuses. one in the door is good(HVAC BLO), the one under the hood is blown (HI BLO MOT). i replace at with a new one and try the blower. the fuse blows right away. i wait another day, replace the fuse under the hood again. this time, the blower roars to life on maximium speed 5. thats where i am now. i have checked the switch, which is fine. do you think i may have blown all 5 legs on the blower motor resistor? speed 5 i believe is wide open, no resistor. any input at all would be greatly appreciated. does anyone know how to check with a meter if the resistor circuits are blown? does the resistor have any fuse that could have blown? i remember reading about a thermal fuse in them maybe?
thanks
blazingerb

eric99gt
02-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Ummm....how about some of you read his post. The problem he described is nothing like the problems that most individuals have with their blower settings. Last time I checked a blown fuse isn't part of the problem. Sorry I can't help you blazing but at least this may lead to someone who can instead of the rest of the crowd jumping on your nuts for not searching. I agree an person should search first but at least know what you're talking about before you tell him too. And clearly he has already searched and did not find his answer. So what's the problem again with him asking the question?

cardude007617
02-10-2008, 03:02 PM
nice deletion of posts mods... lol

if the fuse keeps popping, there must be a short somewhere

iceman
02-10-2008, 03:02 PM
^Yep

Going by your description, you had a water leak into the blower inlet?? Bad news, could have easily shorted out your blower motor, and on top of that, the BCM is in the neighborhood there as well. My BCM shorted out w/ a water leak there before and made the car do some crazy ****.. headilghts off and on, trunk pop, fun stuff.

cardude007617
02-10-2008, 03:11 PM
My BCM shorted out w/ a water leak there before and made the car do some crazy ****.. headilghts off and on, trunk pop, fun stuff.

sounds like fun :D:D

blazingerbs
02-10-2008, 09:15 PM
good work mods, nice clean up. ;)
well does anyone have any suggestions?
i think im gunna drop the glovebox and get a good look at the blower, get my meter on it. if anyones ever dropped the glovebox some advice would help.
its not currently blowing any fuses, that was only the day after the wash. fuse replaced, works on 5. no shorts.
sooo i like to do what i can on my car but im not a mechanic, wuts a BCM?
thanks for all the help!

Sprucegagt
02-10-2008, 09:41 PM
If the motor does work then I say it's still fine. But it does sound like you've blown the resistor card again. I would still check your motor and make sure no ice is in it. When you get to the motor pay close attention to the wiring, you may have burnt some of it. I also think what Iceman said, has happened to you.

Your car has 2 "computers" in it. One is the PCM or Powertrain Control Module which controls the engine and transmission. The other one is the BCM or Body Control Module which controls things like your trunk release, DRLs, ABS, etc.

blazingerbs
02-11-2008, 02:08 PM
thanks for your input everyone.
so am i right to drop the glove box to get at the bower motor? sure sounds like thats where it is. is it easy to come off? the motor is fine (blows great lol), something inbetween switch and blow mot